21 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

I'm using an "as seen on tv" wallet - the clam shell design just fits my cards and a folded bill. 

41WSUEkxpaL._SX425_.jpg

That said, I dislike it because it's so bulky and more than once I've dropped all my cards out of it - which caused me to spend fourty five minutes picking them up.  I used to carry a men's leather wallet - a bifold, but I didn't like the fact that my credit and debit cards were exposed to RFID scanners.

Got any ideas?

I used to rock a homemade duct tape wallet - maybe I'd make one with heavy duty aluminum foil in it.

My specifications:
-  must be slim and light (no bigger than the palm of your hand)

-  must block RFID scanners

-  12 cards

-  must be durable.

• David E likes this

#2 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Have a look at Slimfold. I recently got one of these and am very happy with it so far. Keeping the cards side by side works out much thinner than my previous PacSafe.

This is how it looks open:

PHr8Fki.png

On edge with 15 cards + some notes and a few receipts inside:

3III0T9.jpg

And the same load in my old PacSafe:

9wUOqrE.jpg

#3 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:38 PM

Hell-bent Holsters Combat wallet.

wallet-fan-white-21.jpg

(Sorry about the huge pic, only good one I could find)

spacer.png

Hand made in Texas (Midlothian, 20 minutes from me) out of kydex, which is extremely tough and scratch resistant (RC of 90, higher than most knives).  Hell-Bent Holsters started as a holster company, but when their combat wallet came out, things really took off.

Card capacity is as follows:

Large (12/15)

Med (7/10)

Small (3/5)

The first number is the maximum of cards with raised lettering (bank cards), the seconds is the max of cards with out raised lettering (gift cards, membership cards, etc.).

They have three options:

CW 1- Only holds cards. Large, medium, small. 7 different colors. (This is the one I have) RFID blocking layer optional.

CW 2- Hold cards, and has a kydex money clip built in. Same 7 different colors. RFID blocking layer optional.

CW 2.5- Hold cards, and has a REMOVABLE carbon-fiber money clip, which I believe can be used as a stand alone money clip as well. It is only available in carbon-fiber style kydex, and only in large and medium sizes. RFID blocking layer standard. They just released this version about a week ago, and they sold out of the first batch of 100 in under 10 minutes, and they are now on a back order. Highly sought after.

cw25-featured-570x708.jpg

So that is my recommendation, but I may be a bit biased since these guys are hand-making these locally.

(No, I don't work for Hell-Bent. I just really, REALLY like their products.)

• Reservoir Dawg likes this

#4 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

I'm not sure what the rules are elce where but here in Aus we are covered by insurance as part of our account, recently someone used my info to buy under $2 worth of stuff in India, I explained it wasn't me so the money was refunded and a new card sent my way

#5 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

I'm not sure what the rules are elce where but here in Aus we are covered by insurance as part of our account, recently someone used my info to buy under $2 worth of stuff in India, I explained it wasn't me so the money was refunded and a new card sent my way

They are here too!  But, I rather not deal with the hassle to trying to get my stuff replaced.

#6 Reservoir Dawg

Reservoir Dawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

I'm waiting on my new Steel Wally. It was a Kickstarter project that just went live in the last couple of weeks. RFID Blocking.

photo-original.JPG?v=1433818463&w=1024&h

The-Steel-Wally-2-550x733.jpg

The Closer '15

#7 blackfeathers

blackfeathers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

I've been very happy with my Flipside wallets. I've used them since version 1.

http://www.flipsidewallet.com/

Edited to add:

Missed that 12 cards part. Nevermind. (For what it's worth, some cards can be replaced by "keyring" smartphone apps and photos of the card that can scan in bar codes, or shrunk-down photocopies thus sliming down a wallet.)

• Phil Payonk likes this

#8 Aren

Aren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:36 AM

I'm using an "as seen on tv" wallet - the clam shell design just fits my cards and a folded bill. 

41WSUEkxpaL._SX425_.jpg

That said, I dislike it because it's so bulky and more than once I've dropped all my cards out of it - which caused me to spend fourty five minutes picking them up.  I used to carry a men's leather wallet - a bifold, but I didn't like the fact that my credit and debit cards were exposed to RFID scanners.

Got any ideas?

I used to rock a homemade duct tape wallet - maybe I'd make one with heavy duty aluminum foil in it.

My specifications:

-  12 cards

-  must be durable.

I have this exact same RFID Blocker Wallet. I bought these for all my Family & friends as Stocking Stuffers' last year, Because they Work... But you have to 'Mod' them to work Better. I had the 'exact same thing' w/my cards Falling Out! the accordian-style sleeves are USELESS! I tore them out (they're only held w/double-sided-tape). Using Duct Tape & the TYVEK Credit Card sleeves from the Bank - I 'taped them back-to-back 4-each and then taped them all together 'to-each-other' along their bottom egdes. Then using double-sided-tape, I taped one whole-side to the back of the wallet and left the other-side able to flip out. The Bank card sleeves 'Load from the side' and 'Hold several cards each' the fact that they're also RFID Blocker material is a Plus. The accordian-type holders Don't Allow for much room, you'll find you can carry more cards by 'Modding' your wallet.

ps: the whole-side that's taped to the back of the wallet - I trimmed the front-facing side @an angle (approx. 1/2 the length of the whole) to access the sleeve (I keep Paper Money folded in there) otherwise it's pretty tight to pull anything out     

• Andrea Lok likes this

#9 Aren

Aren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:41 AM

"ADDENDUM to my above post"

ps: @Christmas Time - Rite-Aid stores were retailing these RFID Blocker wallets for $2.00-each: all solid colors, Aloha print, Tartan Plaid, Paisley, etc. 

#10 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Aren.  I may just do that to my billfold.  Gotta ask my bank for a couple of these sleeves (I've seen them on Amazon for $5 for ten, but I really don't feel like waiting for them).  I bought my billfold/wallet when I was browsing at a Dollar store up here, and I saw they for cheap.  Wish I bought the black one...:)

#11 Harrison Bonifacio

Harrison Bonifacio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

I got the Vanquest CACHE RFID-Blocking Security Wallet (Black) :D

030210_CACHE_003__32204.1430938385.464.4030210_CACHE_010fg__28970.1430938387.128

• Michael likes this

#12 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

I got the Vanquest CACHE RFID-Blocking Security Wallet (Black) :D

Is that big enough to take a passport?

#13 Strongman

Strongman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Secrid twin wallet.
Use the card protector myself and have the slide as wel.

#14 JackWilliams

JackWilliams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

Nice and durable. Good for most personal items a man carries all day, every day.

#15 Dmytro Ivanov

Dmytro Ivanov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

Guys, if talk about RFID blocking, is it really must have option?.. 

#16 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

Guys, if talk about RFID blocking, is it really must have option?.. 

It depends. Obviously, if you don't have RFID/NFC equipped cards, then a RFID wallet would be unnecessary. However, since most card providers have been switching to RFID-based cards, for me personally it was a good idea to go ahead and get a RFID blocking wallet, just to be on the safe side.

Then again, it seems to be too early in the RFID progression to see if RFID "skimming" is really that big of a threat, so it really just comes down to personal preference.

In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry, especially when it cost me only $5 USD to get RFID blocking on my wallet. (Hellbent Holsters Combat Wallet 2.5)

#17 David E

David E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

41WSUEkxpaL._SX425_.jpg

Got any ideas?

My specifications:

-  12 cards

-  must be durable.

Hey Andrea, Check my submission for EDC.  I found a bi-fold wallet at REI that's RFID, small front pocket and plenty of room.  Back compartment expands if you need to carry 12 cards I think they would fit plus your ID and some cash.

#18 Dmytro Ivanov

Dmytro Ivanov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:30 AM

It depends. Obviously, if you don't have RFID/NFC equipped cards, then a RFID wallet would be unnecessary. However, since most card providers have been switching to RFID-based cards, for me personally it was a good idea to go ahead and get a RFID blocking wallet, just to be on the safe side.

Then again, it seems to be too early in the RFID progression to see if RFID "skimming" is really that big of a threat, so it really just comes down to personal preference.

In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry, especially when it cost me only $5 USD to get RFID blocking on my wallet. (Hellbent Holsters Combat Wallet 2.5)

Thanks for detailed answer, going to think about to add this option to my wallets.

#19 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:55 AM

MEKU RFID blocking slim wallet

may meet your specification:

slim and light( easy to slip into your front pocket);

rfid blocking;

8 card slots(each can hold 2 cards),a compartment with two openings( fasinated by the design, easy to take out my bills).

made from genuine leather, durable and soft

81t2eYsEipL._UX679_.jpg

#20 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

I keep the card or two in my walked that has a chip inside a sort of foil-like envelope I bought on Amazon. I presume them to work and have no way to test. It beat getting a new wallet. Fortunately my current debit card doesn't have that crap, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users