35 replies to this topic

#1 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Gloves are used for many reasons and specific tasks.  Mine are mainly for driving, shooting and outdoor wear (dress/winter) with some occasion for work tasks.  My two favorite manufacturers are Hatch for shooting mostly and GripSwell which are both driving and shooting gloves. I'm sure well bet some interesting responses.

• Gonzo the Chef likes this

#2 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

BSX gloves for oxyfuel and light GMA welding, Hobart gloves for stick and heavy GMA, and for GTAW.  For sloppy work, I use blue or black nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight Tools.  Planet Bike Aries gloves for cycling, and whichever mechanic's gloves are on sale for everything else.

• Marc likes this

#3 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Your definitely a hard-working guy.  Heavy duty stuff there.  Thanks for the reply.

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Usually one type of mechanix gloves or another. I go through a pair a month or so on average. I keep both summer and winter, as needed. If I'm trying to melt a carbine, I'll bring a pair of Wiley-X with me. 

• Griffen Kociela and Marc like this

#5 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

Your definitely a hard-working guy.  Heavy duty stuff there.  Thanks for the reply.

Nah.  It's just that welding is so brutal that gloves and jackets, and even some helmets are considered consumables.  Hell, I burned a hole in those Hobart "deluxe" gloves with the spark shower from an angle grinder.  :blink:

#6 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

Normal working gloves we carry are this funny looking buggers

55080.jpgBonus points if you can work out why we use the purple ones.

They are make by Kimberly Clarke and they are made of nitrile...beyond that they are pretty simple really.

I also carry a pair of HexArmour NSR 4041's which are used mainly in extrication jobs of if im dealing with an IV drug user as they are needle stick rated

HEX-4041.jpg

#7 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

Purple ones are latex-free, right?

#8 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

Yes they are...but purple does not really mean latex free (i use black nitrile gloves when im cleaning and working on the car). We use purple (and some agencies use blue) because in the event they tear there is a high level of contrast between the pinky-white of skin vs the bright purple of the gloves.

So if you tear a glove you know pretty quickly its time to wash hands and throw a new set on.

• Marc, Gonzo the Chef and KmaXX like this

#9 Zach Glass

Zach Glass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

i like mechanix wear only gloves i can find that fit my hands somewhat. at work we also get what ever cheap latex free or latex.i won't use the the gloves with powder in them. i work at a mazda dealership. if you work with fiber glass or anything like that i like the mechanix gloves with leather on them. they make gloves for just about anything.

#10 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

You guys did me proud since I started this thread on EDC Gloves.  If I need any advice on what to use for those more harsh tasks, I'll know where to get it.  Does anyone use any specific gloves for driving purposes? 

#11 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Only when it gets brutally cold here in the mornings. I keep a pair of Military issue D3A wool glove liners in the console.

#12 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

Yes.  I actually remember those GI Gloves came in "two parts."  There was an inner liner.

#13 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

You can buy the cold weather liners for just a few bucks. Incredibly warm even when wet. I get them locally at a surplus store for about $4.

These are the ones.

http://www.rangerjoe...rs-D3A-P15.aspx

#14 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Black mechanix for me, they are good all rounders

#15 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

No driver's yet but quite a few work options.

#16 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

Mechanix Mpact! Great gove!

#17 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

More work gloves cited.

#18 blackfeathers

blackfeathers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:16 AM

I sometimes keep around a small pair of cheap Gorilla Grips full fingered gloves folded or rolled up in place of disposable gloves for tasks that might get hands dirty like changing tires.

For driving and various tasks, I use Harbinger fingerless weight lifting gloves made out of leather because they are heavy duty and allow me to use touch screens on electronic devices - even those that might be on the car. They let me touch a hot steering wheel without any issues. They've lasted 8 years now of regular EDC use. I've lost them in a parking lot once where they were run over by a car and later found the following night still intact. Very rugged.

For tasks like auto detailing, I use Raven Black Nitrile gloves with a slight texture and thicker than your standard disposable gloves. 

For full-fingered touch screen gloves I might opt for my pair of SKD PIG Alpha Touch shooting gloves. They use a conductive thread on the finger tips for touchscreens, fit well around the fingers and have great dexterity for various tasks.

#19 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Those Alpha Shooting Gloves look like they're made for military shooting use.

#20 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:37 AM

If you guys are interested in a pair of gloves that are lightweight and offer a large amount of dexterity you might consider taking a look at a pair of Nomex flight gloves.

I had a pair issued to me when I deployed overseas and now carry them as part of my EDC.

The gloves are very flexible, lightweight ,as well as fire resistant. The longer cuff can be folded down if the person finds the extra length to be cumbersome. They are often modded out by removing one or more fingertips depending the taste of the user.

Another bonus for these gloves is that over the decades they have since their creation they have become extremely inexpensive. The price for these gloves when I was a kid was about $110.00 now they are between $18.00 to $30.00. Certainly low enough in cost for anyone with an interest in them to give them a try.

The gloves come on a variety of colors such as black, khaki tan, sage green (pictured above), and black/olive drab.

foliage-nomex-flight-gloves.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users