#21 Robert Fejes

Robert Fejes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

I carry 3:

FourSevens Mini - On my car keys
Prometheus Beta QR - On my "extras" ring (SAK, Peanut Lighter, etc)
FourSevens Quark Pro 1xCR123

I really only use the Quark Pro (90% of the time) or the Prometheus ("teeth" grip when I need to go hands free)

The Mini should be able to do most of what the Quark Pro does (though the high isn't as high) but I really like the clicky of the Pro, along with the utility of all of the different modes. I wish that the Pro's flashy modes were all in the "tightened" setting, though. I don't like missing the High setting and having it go to SOS... then having to click all the way back through. I guess I could just tighten to max, but...

I also have the FourSevens Quark Turbo, so I'm familiar with the Tactical UI. I wish there was somewhere in between... We could call it Practical!

By the way, I understand that it is completely redundant to carry so many flashlights, especially one that I don't use much (i.e. the Mini). I just don't love the twisty and I find that it jumps levels really easy. I don't know if I have a bad one or if it just needs to be cleaned... but it isn't taking up much room and I DO use it if I'm ever in a situation where I just have my car keys.

#22 Robert Fejes

Robert Fejes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

John, as I mentioned in my post I carry a FourSevens Mini ML that hasn't had a problem of being jumpy. And neither has my previous Mini AA, both in ti. But I have used them quite a bit and the threads have smoothed out considerably. So that probably helps.

#23 John Gleich

John Gleich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Chicago, IL

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

John, as I mentioned in my post I carry a FourSevens Mini ML that hasn't had a problem of being jumpy. And neither has my previous Mini AA, both in ti. But I have used them quite a bit and the threads have smoothed out considerably. So that probably helps.

That could certainly be it... I haven't tried any additional lube oil or anything. I might also just not be tightening it far enough.

The biggest problem that I'm getting isn't in the UI changing when I don't want to... it's jumping when I DO want to change the output.

So, for example, I have it on low, and I want to up it to medium, so I go from tightened bezel to loosened (on to off), back to tightened... but it flickers very quickly and jumps to high. Or it goes from medium to quick flicker to low.

I haven't contacted FourSevens about it because it really isn't THAT big a deal and I have other options (i.e. my more-than-redundant flashlight carry... in addition, I've also got the light on my phone), but I figure I could if it became that big of a deal.

#24 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

I carry 3:

FourSevens Mini - On my car keys
Prometheus Beta QR - On my "extras" ring (SAK, Peanut Lighter, etc)
FourSevens Quark Pro 1xCR123

I really only use the Quark Pro (90% of the time) or the Prometheus ("teeth" grip when I need to go hands free)

The Mini should be able to do most of what the Quark Pro does (though the high isn't as high) but I really like the clicky of the Pro, along with the utility of all of the different modes. I wish that the Pro's flashy modes were all in the "tightened" setting, though. I don't like missing the High setting and having it go to SOS... then having to click all the way back through. I guess I could just tighten to max, but...

I also have the FourSevens Quark Turbo, so I'm familiar with the Tactical UI. I wish there was somewhere in between... We could call it Practical!

By the way, I understand that it is completely redundant to carry so many flashlights, especially one that I don't use much (i.e. the Mini). I just don't love the twisty and I find that it jumps levels really easy. I don't know if I have a bad one or if it just needs to be cleaned... but it isn't taking up much room and I DO use it if I'm ever in a situation where I just have my car keys.

How do you like the Prometheus QR?

#25 John Gleich

John Gleich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Chicago, IL

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

How do you like the Prometheus QR?

I really like it and I like it for reasons I hadn't thought I would.

The battery (1xAAA) is readily available, much more-so than the CR123A batteries that I had in my other lights. Those are easy to get online and for a decent price... but when I'm out, it's going to take a few days, at minimum to get them. With the AAA, I can pop down to Walgreens and get one in 5 minutes. Plus, the small radius of the AAA battery

The output is very functional (15 lumens low, 60 lumens high). Like I said, I use this mostly for the "teeth" grip... when I'm working with my hands and need some extra light or when I'm down in the crawlspace, etc. It isn't going to blow you away and is maybe a little more of a flood than a spot light, but there is enough of a hot spot, especially at close range, to illuminate what you need it to. From a color standpoint, the output is second to none. Jason Hui (the creator, for those who don't know) makes high end Alpha lights and doesn't crimp on quality. He does the same here. You won't find a better AAA light for the price (note: I got mine through the Kickstarter, so I feel like I got an extra special good deal!)

The Quick Release... Wow was I surprised with this. I thought I would hate it. I couldn't fathom a situation where I would want a keychain flashlight that could be removed from the keychain. I imagined that it would be very apt to fall off and I'd risk losing it.  I guess I just didn't trust Jason's design... because lots of other keychain-type gimmicks had failed on me. Boy was I wrong. This is actually one of my favorite features of the light. When it's in my pocket, it's on the ring with my other tools. When I need it, it's a quick release push away... and it's free.

The only con for me with the whole light is related to the battery... it's the length of the light. I have my FourSevens Mini on my keys and the Beta QR with my tools because the length of the Mini is more similar to the length of my keys. It only has to house a CR123A battery, which is isn't as long. Plus, when you add the Quick Release, it mechanism, it adds length.

Mini - 6 cm

Beta QR (light only) - 7.5 cm

Beta QR (w/ QR mechanism) - 9.9 cm

The light itself is 25% longer, 65% longer with the mechanism.

Here's some info for anyone who is interested:

https://www.kickstar...keychain-flashl

http://darksucks.com/store_BetaQR.html

Looks like Jason has created a second version of the QR that isn't as long. It's a completely different design. I wonder how it works, comparatively... Anyone have it?

• Duff72 likes this

#26 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

I carry either a 1AA 5.11 ATAC or a 2AAA 5.11 ATAC....so boring, but lots of light with cheap, easy to find batteries.

#27 shiliang

shiliang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:34 AM

surefire E1L for dairy use,G2 as a backup,Arc aaa for searching in my bag.(poor english)

#28 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

New guy here.

I carry a Fenix e12 on my keys. Great little torch for the price. 

#29 John

John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMendocino CA

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

I used to love my fenix LD20 but it's been on the fritz for a week now... Turns on for a second but then cuts out... Or sometimes doesn't light at all... I've taken it apart and but there's nothing jumping out at me that could be the problem... Ideas anyone?

#30 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

I used to love my fenix LD20 but it's been on the fritz for a week now... Turns on for a second but then cuts out... Or sometimes doesn't light at all... I've taken it apart and but there's nothing jumping out at me that could be the problem... Ideas anyone?

I am not an expert, but as a giess, it sounds like something is not connecting. My only two thoughts are: double check all seals, o-rings etc to make sure nothing is missing or worn out, and the other is the switch. If there is some wear and tear in the switch and it's compartment, it may be causing a lack of conduction.

#31 John

John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMendocino CA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

I am not an expert, but as a giess, it sounds like something is not connecting. My only two thoughts are: double check all seals, o-rings etc to make sure nothing is missing or worn out, and the other is the switch. If there is some wear and tear in the switch and it's compartment, it may be causing a lack of conduction.

Yeah I think I need to pull the whole switch compartment out and check it. All the seals and o rings are fine, and I'm not gonna lie... I've definitely dropped it down a gully or two! Thanks!

#32 Zulukilo

Zulukilo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:51 AM

One light during the day, 4Sevens Quark X AA2. I add a second for nighttime activities :ph34r: , usually a Foursevens Preon 1. But like many of you probably, I have a cajillion flashlights.  :D

#33 Lance Stickle

Lance Stickle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

I carry either my preon P2, fenix PD35, surefire E1L or surefire E2E elite

#34 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Streamlight Protac 2L

#35 Matt De Krypt

Matt De Krypt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

I run a Nitecore P10 for primary light.

I go with TechLite 150L for secondary.

Then Life+Gear MiniMax 100L after.

Then Longhorn Tactical KeyLight.

Then Swiss+Tech Keylight/Multitool.

#36 Tonny Dam Jensen

Tonny Dam Jensen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

I'm thinking about buying my first EDC light since my Maglite Solitaire, and i'm considering the following:

• EagleTac D25AAA - Nice small AAA, big clip, no moonlight function (lowest is 12 lumen), magnet in rear. 12/60/145 lumen.
  • Foursevens Mini ML-X - RC123A, plain simple design. 4/48/216 lumen
  • EagleTac D25C clicky - Clicky is a plus. 1/33/296/453 lumen.

Any thoughts? What is your preferred lumen/size compromise?

#37 Tonny Dam Jensen

Tonny Dam Jensen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:37 AM

I'm thinking about buying my first EDC light since my Maglite Solitaire, and i'm considering the following:

• EagleTac D25AAA - Nice small AAA, big clip, no moonlight function (lowest is 12 lumen), magnet in rear. 12/60/145 lumen.
  • Foursevens Mini ML-X - RC123A, plain simple design. 4/48/216 lumen
  • EagleTac D25C clicky - Clicky is a plus. 1/33/296/453 lumen.

Any thoughts? What is your preferred lumen/size compromise?

No one?

#38 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

LED Lenser P6[2xAA] is my flashlight, I have a FENIX EO5 on my keyring.  It's a big step up from the solitaire i was using, but neither cost me anything.  My personal rule is bodega batteries.  AA or AAA, none of the cr123 or any other exotic batteries.  Those will get really hard to find and afford in a hurry when the xombies come ( :

#39 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

Maratac brass aaa or a keltec cl-42

The keltec is simple, rugged, bright and made in America.

#40 Razvan

Razvan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

Olight I3S (1xAAA), great little flashlight, was thinking to move up to something 1xAA, because here AA`s are more easy to find.

What are your thoughts about 1xAAA vs 1XAA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users