EDC Boots

34 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Alston

Chris Alston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

I saw the earlier thread on shoes and wanted to narrow things down some to just boots.

Looking to get a new pair of boots. Something I could wear pretty much every single day. And to be honest I trust you guys for reviews over anything I can find on Amazon.

For me specifically I'm just looking for something comfy that I can wear to work and do some hiking in. I would prefer waterproof, but not a requirement. I really doubt I'd ever need steel toe either.

So what brands do you all recommend? Thanks in advance!

• Nobody and Tanto Blade Advantages like this

#2 Roy

Roy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada (for now)

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

I'd check out Danner or Belleville. Been wearing my made in the good ol U.S of A, Danner Rivot TFX boots everyday for about a year and a half now. Best boots I've ever had.

• Von Lehmann likes this

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed".

#3 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Im replacing my 5.11 work boots with a pair of danners soon. Ive already got a pair of their ATX's (i think thats the model) and they feel like your walking on marshmallows even after a few years of pretty hard use

#4 Nobody

Nobody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

My all-day-every-day boots are 2-year-old Ahnu Mendocino hikers that fit me like custom shoes.  For actual hiking, I have a pair of Merrell Pulsate Mids that I wear with Powerstep Pinnacle Maxx insoles.  Both pairs are waterproof out of the box.  I've also been impressed with Keen, and heard great things about Vasque.

If you're looking more in the direction of a hiker-style work boot or tactical boot, Red Wing, Timberland Pro, Danner, and Thorogood all make excellent boots.  I've heard Thorogoods are damn near indestructible.  My personal work boots are Red Wing Irish Setters.

• Dave likes this

#5 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

I saw the earlier thread on shoes and wanted to narrow things down some to just boots.

Looking to get a new pair of boots. Something I could wear pretty much every single day. And to be honest I trust you guys for reviews over anything I can find on Amazon.

For me specifically I'm just looking for something comfy that I can wear to work and do some hiking in. I would prefer waterproof, but not a requirement. I really doubt I'd ever need steel toe either.

So what brands do you all recommend? Thanks in advance!

I'll bite. Honestly, for the price point, quality, features, style, wearability, and toughness, I don't think you can beat Merrells. They come in a ton of styles, and look good in most settings. I would, however, recommend trying them on in person. I find they tend to run true to size, but a little narrow. Best to get a feel for them first hand. 

#6 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

While probably not the coolest or most current, I keep buying black doc martins.. Hard to beat in terms of a general no fuss leather boot and once they break in they are just amazingly comfortable.
  • Dave and Sam M like this

#7 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 704 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

I mentioned the Timberland boots in the other thread, but my next ones will definitely be some Danner Mountain Lights. I just love that design and they look great with jeans.

efHtbPq.jpg

• Dave likes this

#8 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

They do look the goods, I also noted that doc martens did a boot with triumph motorcycles, boots are a way to become poor In a hurry
  • Sam M likes this

#9 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

I mentioned the Timberland boots in the other thread, but my next ones will definitely be some Danner Mountain Lights. I just love that design and they look great with jeans.

efHtbPq.jpg

You are evil.... those look amazing. How light are they?

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#10 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 704 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

You are evil.... those look amazing. How light are they?

I don't know yet, but I definitely hope to find out!

#11 Robert Kenny

Robert Kenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Another vote for Doc Martens. I have a black Chelsea boot, brown victor and black 1461. Covers most situations. They can be a pain to wear in though.

• Sam M likes this

#12 Sam M

Sam M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Doc Martens! Never had one problem with them.

#13 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 704 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

I recently just saw Under Armour release an updated pair of boots, I'm considering picking them up as I'm growing to like UA's quality these days for fitness wear and I don't want a full-on Danner-type military boot:

4cwXaAv.jpg

#14 Preacher

Preacher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

Look into Russell Moccasin.  http://russellmoccasin.com/ I have a pair of their engineer boots, comfortable as sneakers.

not cheap, but rebuildable almost forever.  

#15 David E

David E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

I've been pretty happy with Merrill's for some time now.  Both low and mid cut.  I also wore a pair of Ecco's down to the nubs.  Those Danners look great tho.

#16 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:10 AM

I think danners are great.

Also Ecco's boots are pretty great too. 

• Dave likes this

#17 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'll agre with you. I like Danner but ECCO is my go to everyday boot. I wear them in all kinds of conditions from snow and ice to pouring rain and they perform great. They fit me like a glove, are light and super comfortable. I wear them with jeans and with shirt and tie at work.

I think danners are great.

Also Ecco's boots are pretty great too.

#18 Travis Manning

Travis Manning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

I find I have bad feet. Merrell shoes will last me a year and then even though the shoes are still in good shape I can no longer wear them without discomfort. I also have had good luck with Doc Martens and more recently Original S.W.A.T. boots.

#19 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

Salomon quest 4D GTX for 3 season wear . I am wearing salomon tondras for my winter boots . good to -40f they use aerogel for insulation and are comfortable from the first time you put them on without break in. U.S. Elite has the best price. they are pricey but worth it.

#20 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

Look into Russell Moccasin.  http://russellmoccasin.com/ I have a pair of their engineer boots, comfortable as sneakers.

not cheap, but rebuildable almost forever.  

Those look amazing ......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, Boots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users