16 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

I am going on a vacation to northern Michigan with my wife, daughter, and parents. First I will be staying at Mackinaw City in Northern Michigan for 2 days, then I will be staying with some family friends by Traverse City (northwest Michigan). Since I will be in the car often, I stuck to my usual minimalist carry. I will be carrying my Kershaw Cryo, Gerber Mini-Paraframe, Casio watch, keys, and wallet. What does everyone carry on long road trips here?

Attached Files

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

For travel, I use my standard carry (Cold Steel Tuff Lite, 4sevens Preon P1, Hell-Bent Holsters Combat Wallet, Victorinox Swisscard.) 

HOWEVER, what gets added is a Pelican 1020 case to store all my stuff in at hotels/cabins/etc. The pelican may be a bit overkill, but it beats having your stuff rolling around in a drawer or laying out in the open on a desk, IMO.

BTW, something else to consider would be knife laws in wherever you are staying. I have heard from people who have gotten bit because they brought something legal in place A to place B where it was illegal.

#3 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

That's a nice set up! And I agree with the case. I need to get one for travel, since I hate waking up and not knowing where something fell..

For knife laws, Michigan state law is any blade 3" or under for concealed. I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I will double check to see if Mackinaw City has any city regulations!

#4 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

You didn't list a light?

#5 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

You didn't list a light?

both of my carry lights will be staying in my backpack while I'm in the car. I have them organized for easy access, so if it's needed, it will be right next to me!

#6 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

For me i guess that depends on what you would call long. Im about several hundred kms from the next major town and on a good day this drive takes about 8 hours (during the wet season its either unpassable or 16 hours). I did however recently drive down to Sydney to visit family which was a 4 day drive, so ill give a bit of a run through on that.

Car Stuff (2010 Nissan GU Patrol 3L turbo diesel)

• Spare belts
  • Spare tyre
  • Spare filters
  • Oils and Coolants
  • 40L of diesel
  • HF Radio and UHF CB Radio
  • Tyre deflator and compressor
  • Basic tool kit to fix the simple stuff on the side of the road
  • Bailing twine and fencing wire

Sleeping Stuff (why stay in some shitty truck stop when you can sleep under the stars)

• Swag
  • Sleeping bag
  • Pillow

Other Bits and Bobs

• Small axe
  • Mallet hammer
  • Fire lighting stuff
  • Spare clothes
  • Rags
  • Cooking Gear
  • A few days food and water
  • Inmarsat Sat Phone
  • EPIRB
  • First Aid Kit
  • Dolphin Torch

All of this in addition to my phone, wallet, keys and leatherman of which every variety im carrying at the time.

• T Shrapnel-Carruthers and Patti like this

#7 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

What I carry on me doesn't change when I travel (unless flying is involved). However, I do have a car kit permanently in the boot/trunk.

It includes:

- water for radiator (been in the bottle a long time, drink only in emergency)

- funnel for filling radiator or for ladies who need to pee in a bottle  :o(more discrete than crouching at the side of the road in the middle of a ginormous jam)

- extra screen wash

- water for drinking (recently filled bottles)

- 4x hi-viz jackets in case of roadside breakdown

- warning triangle

- spare head lamp adaptors (needed for my left hand drive car when in the UK)

- first aid kit

- alcohol testing kit (required for driving in France)

- spare set of spectacles (France again)

I am just about to add:

- mylar blankets

- heavy duty tape

- can of WD40

Need to add:

- some basic tools (spanner, screwdriver, knife, ?)

- some foodstuff (ideally Kendal Mint Cake)

- some salt/grit for winter

- a shovel (winter)

#8 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

For a shovel, check you the Cold Steel SF Shovel. Super tough, small, and I know several people who keep them in their cars. I used this shovel to remove a decent size stump two days ago (About 1 foot in diameter). The egdes are sharpened, and I used them as a hatchet to remove the secondary roots. Cut through the slightly rotted wood extremely easily.

cold-steel-special-forces-shovel-with-co

• T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this

#9 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

I have a shovel mounted on the roof rack with the high lift jack...in the last 5 years of this car and the preceding with the last patrol ive not once used it as a shovel. Its a $50 thing i picked up at bunnings.

Its got a nice long handle and not only can you cook a pretty good steak on it...but is also does a top job of finishing off the wildlife that the bullbar doesn't manage to.

#10 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Emergency car supplies is a very good idea.. I need to start doing this. Luckily, I live close to many towns. But still, it's always a good idea to be prepared.

#11 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:05 AM

Luckily, I live close to many towns.

They are all further away if you have to walk there. 

https://ca.autos.yah...1.html?page=all

#12 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

in the last 5 years of this car and the preceding with the last patrol ive not once used it as a shovel.

Isn't that the point Shaun? When you are prepared the karma keeps you safe.

#13 T Christopher Cox

T Christopher Cox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

Always have a waterproof wool/nylon blanket and a SOG folding entrenching tool in the trunk along with some paracord or bungees. I've been converted to always carrying a flashlight and small multitool, SAK, bandaids and some antiseptic in a small bag even in hotel rooms.

#14 blackfeathers

blackfeathers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

HOWEVER, what gets added is a Pelican 1020 case to store all my stuff in at hotels/cabins/etc. The pelican may be a bit overkill, but it beats having your stuff rolling around in a drawer or laying out in the open on a desk, IMO.

The Pelican case is a nice touch. It's not necessarily overkill in my opinion. Some over at the old EDC forums combine that with Cocoon Grid Its in place of the foam. With a Grid-It attached, you could even attach a battery-powered light stick as a case light.

#15 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:26 AM

This is my EDC road trip carrier. I have a 200 pound job box in the back with more gear than I care to list. If I got stranded in a snow storm for a week, It would be like a vacation. 

80BD2033-0EFE-4547-8984-6BF63FE5BFA9_zps

• Mikey Bautista and T Shrapnel-Carruthers like this

#16 George Thompsom

George Thompsom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:40 PM

I do my road trip with my friends and family members by an RV or motor home having all facilities as that we have at our house. So no need to worry much about things to be taken on trip. Normally, I prefer to order redwood fifth wheel so as to get that extra comfort and luxury feeling.

here is the pic of my last trips's fifth wheel...

z-lovable-redwood-rv-floor-plans-redwood

#17 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

For long distance travel by vehicle I would add a nylon tow strap( WITHOUT  the attached metal hooks). A 2.5  inch strap will do for most SUV's but heavier vehicles m,ay need a 3 to 4 inch strap. I carry a small swedish saw with a metal cutting blade as well as the stock wood sawing blade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users