#1 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

I have had my current watch for about 5 years, and it still works flawlessly. Which is amusing, because it cost me 10 dollars for the no-name watch at WalMart. However, this watch has been through hell and back as they say. It has been in the ocean, pools, mud, and at times COMPLETELY covered with primer, paint, and silicone sealant (caulk). I scraped/wiped it off, and it still works like the day I got it, albeit a little banged up. However, I think it's time to retire 'ol faithful and get a good watch. Here are my requirements:

Black case

Band material does not really mater to me, as long as it is low-maintenance

Digital time, 12/24h

Alarm clock. (Only need one alarm)

Day/date display

Stopwatch

Under $100

Tough as heck AND easy to clean

So right now, I am looking at the Casio G-Shock DW-5600 series, either the standard:

casio-dw-5600e-1v-g-shock-nasa-flight-qu

Or maybe the all-black version, but it's more than double the price of the normal one only for a different color:

DW-5600BB-1ER.png

The normal one is about $40, the all-black one goes for $115.

Now I'm not limiting myself to these options, these are my choices only after very minor research. I am more than open to suggestions!

• Zach Glass and Chanaski like this

#2 Chanaski

Chanaski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

I have one of these.
For less than $30, how can you go wrong?

http://www.amazon.co...sio tough solar

• BevoWatch likes this

#3 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

The atomic solar version of the DW is my next watch, I just want that extra convenience. :)

• BevoWatch likes this

#4 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Timex Expedition. Bunch of styles and colors with the specs you're looking for:

http://www.timex.com...CFdgMgQodL5cE2A

#5 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

I second the Timex Expedition, they're great. Also, the G-Shock awgm100b-1a can be had for JUST over $100, but I own it and it is well worth it. It has atomic timekeeping, a few (I think 6) alarms, stopwatch, second time zone, day/date, and is analog-digital. Ask me if you have any questions about it!

#6 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

There are many styles of the Timex Expedition, but here are a few worth checking out-
http://www.timex.com...ock-tw4b008009j

http://www.timex.com...-timer-t499039j

http://www.timex.com...mtimer-t409419j

http://www.timex.com...-combo-t451819j

http://www.timex.com...-combo-t498289j

#7 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

+1 for the Timex Expedition.  Especially the resin combo one.  I know it's not black, but I can tell you firsthand that it'll take a bit of abuse.  I think it ticks the rest of your checkboxes too.

#8 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

The black G Shock is my EDC watch, because it's super tough. I work at a summer camp and this is the only watch I trust to not conk out on me after 8 hours a day, 5 days a week of playing and falling and having fun with those kids. It's truly awesome, and is atomic (so it keeps time like a beast)

Attached Files

• BevoWatch likes this

#9 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

I got mine on sale for $80, too

#10 Zach Glass

Zach Glass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

i have the top watch had it for a few years and its great.

I have had my current watch for about 5 years, and it still works flawlessly. Which is amusing, because it cost me 10 dollars for the no-name watch at WalMart. However, this watch has been through hell and back as they say. It has been in the ocean, pools, mud, and at times COMPLETELY covered with primer, paint, and silicone sealant (caulk). I scraped/wiped it off, and it still works like the day I got it, albeit a little banged up. However, I think it's time to retire 'ol faithful and get a good watch. Here are my requirements:

Black case

Digital time, 12/24h

Day/date display

Stopwatch

Under $100

So right now, I am looking at the Casio G-Shock DW-5600 series, either the standard:

Or maybe the all-black version, but it's more than double the price of the normal one only for a different color:

DW-5600BB-1ER.png

Now I'm not limiting myself to these options, these are my choices only after very minor research. I am more than open to suggestions!

#11 Kent Huynh

Kent Huynh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

I personally use the G-Shock G100-BV, and it hits all points except for the "easy-to-clean" part. All the little nook and crannies take a bit of time to get into, and you maymay not like the analog/digital time. Got this on Amazon for $56. 

91EBxuBzqQL._UY500_.jpg

#12 Kevin Spengel

Kevin Spengel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

I asked Santa for an Orient Mako. I hope it is as good as the reviews say!

#13 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

The black G Shock is my EDC watch, because it's super tough. I work at a summer camp and this is the only watch I trust to not conk out on me after 8 hours a day, 5 days a week of playing and falling and having fun with those kids. It's truly awesome, and is atomic (so it keeps time like a beast.

I had that G-Shock and though it's a great time keeper being atomic and all, the negative background for the digital display wasn't as easy to read as a positive background.  I ended up selling mine.  I've been meaning to get another one but with a positive background because it is a great looking ana-digi G-Shock and usually can be found at a very reasonable price as well.  

• Mason Delpino likes this

#14 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

Black case

Digital time, 12/24h

Day/date display

Stopwatch

Under $100

DW-5600BB-1ER.png

I'd go with the first one if I were you.  Great bang for your $.  

#15 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

The atomic solar version of the DW is my next watch, I just want that extra convenience. :)

Looks like a winner to me. :)

#16 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

I had that G-Shock and though it's a great time keeper being atomic and all, the negative background for the digital display wasn't as easy to read as a positive background. I ended up selling mine. I've been meaning to get another one but with a positive background because it is a great looking ana-digi G-Shock and usually can be found at a very reasonable price as well.

Yeah, you know what's funny is that I had the same issue! I ended up selling the blacked out version to my Marine buddy, and I got one with green accents and positive display LCD screens. Same watch but just easier to read and with green accents on the bezel!
  • BevoWatch likes this

#17 BevoWatch

BevoWatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, you know what's funny is that I had the same issue! I ended up selling the blacked out version to my Marine buddy, and I got one with green accents and positive display LCD screens. Same watch but just easier to read and with green accents on the bezel!

Nice move and glad you didn't find my commentary about the negative display offensive.  It's a great looking watch and that's why I got one to begin with as well and it's just unfortunate that the negative display with a small digital screen made it difficult to read.  

• Mason Delpino likes this

#18 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

Nice move and glad you didn't find my commentary about the negative display offensive.  It's a great looking watch and that's why I got one to begin with as well and it's just unfortunate that the negative display with a small digital screen made it difficult to read.  

Not at all, I totally agree with what you said about it being hard to read. But my friend likes the blacked out look and really digs the watch. Yeah, exactly- if they made that same version but with positive LCD displays, I would have gotten that one!

• BevoWatch likes this

#19 Wesley Stewart

Wesley Stewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

I have the G Shock DW5600, it is an excellent watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users