Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Must haves for long hikes/outdoor exploration?

outdoors hiking survival backpacking camping

65 replies to this topic

#41 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

Les Stroud is legit. What he says is gold, and should be taken seriously. That other maniac will get you killed post haste, probably in a very slow, painful way. i went through plenty of advanced survival, and that is the biggest jack ass I have ever seen. Pisses me off that some numbskull may actually go out and try some of his hollywood crap, and get tore up for their trouble. 

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#42 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

I enjoyed that post, Jorruss.  I plan on taking my kids (14-16yr old) canoe camping this summer for 3-4 days.  But as soon as snow melts, I will take them out on a few afternoon walks in the woods to test our gear and their abilities.  It's one thing to see Bear Grylls start a fire on TV, and another to actually do it with damp wood and a kid going into hypothermia!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice.

Canoe camping is the cat's ass! I grew up camping and loved every second of it. Canoeing your way through the Algonquin region is a life changing experience.

!!!!!!!! Bear Grylis is an IDIOT. He gives me the horrors every time I see his insane antics !!!!!!!! TV at it's absolute most irresponsible worst.

Fuck Bear Grylls. That is all.

#43 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Canoe camping is the cat's ass! I grew up camping and loved every second of it. Canoeing your way through the Algonquin region is a life changing experience.

That's how I ended up in Canada illegally a couple summers ago.  A buddy and I were canoe camping through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and went ashore for lunch one day on the Canadian side.

• Stupendous Walrus and Mel R. like this

#44 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

Lucky you didn't capsize. The great white otters are ferocious.
  • Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#45 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:28 PM

Lucky you didn't capsize. The great white otters are ferocious.

It's the beavers that are the problem up there...all of their damn dams everywhere!

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#46 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:38 PM

It's the beavers that are the problem up there...all of their damn dams everywhere!

Afraid of beaver? Hm.

#47 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:56 PM

Afraid of beaver? Hm.

I once dated a brunette named Wynona. 

• Duff72, Stupendous Walrus, Dom and 1 other like this

#48 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

WOW- you pulled out a Primus
  • Stupendous Walrus, Dom, Mel R. and 1 other like this

#49 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

WOW- you pulled out a Primus

Atta boy, Duff!  

Coincidentally, as I was goofin' off in the forums last night, "Mr. Deeds" was in the background on TBS.  At the exact moment I typed that response, the movie was at the scene toward the end when Winona Ryder's character tells Deeds she loves him and confesses that she doesn't remember what her natural hair color is.  I thought it was some fun irony and giggled at myself.  Her name is spelled differently, but it's still fun.    

#50 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

Good job everybody!

#51 Jorruss

Jorruss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

!!!!!!!! Bear Grylis is an IDIOT. He gives me the horrors every time I see his insane antics !!!!!!!! TV at it's absolute most irresponsible worst.

I agree, he's all about putting on a show and manufacturing drama with his stunts. Oh, and selling gear...

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#52 Jorruss

Jorruss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

Fuck Bear Grylls. That is all.

Spent some time in Algonquin park and lots of time canoeing in Parc La Verendrye in Quebec.

My most interesting experience ever was having to track down a 10 day camper trip with a counsellor who's mother had passed. I had to pack supplies for 5 days and jump in a kayak to catch the 3 canoe party that was 4 days into their trip. The days I spent alone in the remote wilderness getting to them were awesome. I'll always remember breaking camp early in the morning and setting off in heavy fog on a lake so still the water looked like a mirror. The only sounds were loon calls and my paddle breaking the surface of the water. It was eerie and peaceful, and I remember just coasting on that lake, taking in the moment before the sun came up and I reached the next portage...

• Stupendous Walrus, Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#53 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Spent some time in Algonquin park and lots of time canoeing in Parc La Verendrye in Quebec.

My most interesting experience ever was having to track down a 10 day camper trip with a counsellor who's mother had passed. I had to pack supplies for 5 days and jump in a kayak to catch the 3 canoe party that was 4 days into their trip. The days I spent alone in the remote wilderness getting to them were awesome. I'll always remember breaking camp early in the morning and setting off in heavy fog on a lake so still the water looked like a mirror. The only sounds were loon calls and my paddle breaking the surface of the water. It was eerie and peaceful, and I remember just coasting on that lake, taking in the moment before the sun came up and I reached the next portage...

Heading off in the wee hours of the morning is the best.  Getting out before nature's had a chance to wake up provides for a real feeling of accomplishment.  

• Stupendous Walrus, Marc and Jorruss like this

#54 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

It's just amazing. I have yet to do much wilderness adventuring in Quebec; when I went that way, I spent almost all my time in Old Quebec. Equally, albeit differently beautiful.

#55 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

The must have things for the hikes are:

Tent

Packaged Food

The best survival knife

Fire Starter flints

sleeping bag

rope

When you think of something, Go for it.......

Love to Carry victorinox trekking Knives and leatherman multitools for outdoors survival.

#56 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

The must have things for the hikes are:

Tent

Packaged Food

The best survival knife

Fire Starter flints

sleeping bag

rope

I like this simplicity Harshit.

• Harshit Gupta likes this

#57 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Always remember. The more knowledge you can pack into your head, the less weight you will need on your back. 

• Stupendous Walrus, Dom and Mel R. like this

#58 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

Always remember. The more knowledge you can pack into your head, the less weight you will need on your back.

I like that.

#59 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:07 AM

I should also add that my security team is usually present on many excursions. 

dog6_zpsc2145f19.jpg

• Stupendous Walrus, Mikey Bautista, Dom and 1 other like this

#60 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

BEAUTIFUL animals!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outdoors, hiking, survival, backpacking, camping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users