Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Any pocket-fillers convert to minimalist?

Best Answer Guest_Pete the Machinist_* , 25 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

Only stuff that rides on my person are my front-pocket wallet (a DIY variation of this), a bandana, my toothpick holder, my watch, and my trusty belt sheath.  The wallet holds my DL, insurance & motor club cards, and cash.  The rest of the wallet detritus is in a card case in my bag.  The belt sheath has my multitool, knife, and light.  Everything else goes in the bag.

I switched for pretty much the same reason most other people did... just carrying around too much stuff.  My girlfriend used to laugh at me when I would empty my pockets at night.  She said I looked like a little kid taking out all his treasures and the stuff he picked up all day long.

...that, plus the wallet wasn't doing my back any good where it was.

Go to the full post

9 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

When I first started EDC, I crammed my pockets full of gear. I would always carry my thick, card-filled wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, multi tool, zippo lighter, a pen, a notepad, and 2-3 knives. Recently, I found that I have little use on a daily basis for almost half of those things. I recently got a thin minimalist wallet (cheap one I found in a bag of junk) that only holds my drivers license and 4-5 cards. My other carry consists of keys, phone, watch, a pen, and 2-3 knives (I'm a knife nut, so I'll never be able to cut those out). Everything else that used to be on my person sits organized in my backpack, which goes with me almost everywhere.

Has anyone else made the switch? And if so, why?
  • Arcturus likes this

#2 Andriy

Andriy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

Switched to a Neatfreak for EEDC (Extended Every Day Carry) and a E.D.C organizer for EDC. I keep only most essential tools and trinkets in my Organizer. The other things go into my Neatfreak. These items are not needed as much, but are there if that need arrises.

Why may you ask? turning into a professional (office type setting) and well... I lost my shorts once because of overfilled pockets and no belt (Yes laugh if you must, I find it funny too). Its also uncomfortable with so much stuff. I love having relief of overly filled pockets and able to walk without fear of loosing my britches again.

#3 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Always trying to minimise what is in my pockets; other stuff is in my briefcase (work-days) or backpack (other days). Smaller bits are in pouches to enable fast swap from one to the other and reduce risk of leaving a vital component behind.

#4 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

I totally understand the losing the shorts! My cargo shorts would fall down even with a belt a lot more often before I went minimalist.. Carrying a backpack/other case is a great way to limit the weight in your pockets. I also have found that expensive gear seems to fall out very easily with full pockets..
  • Arcturus likes this

#5 Arcturus

Arcturus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, Maryland, or somewhere in-between

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

When I first started EDC, I crammed my pockets full of gear. I would always carry my thick, card-filled wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, multi tool, zippo lighter, a pen, a notepad, and 2-3 knives. Recently, I found that I have little use on a daily basis for almost half of those things. I recently got a thin minimalist wallet (cheap one I found in a bag of junk) that only holds my drivers license and 4-5 cards. My other carry consists of keys, phone, watch, a pen, and 2-3 knives (I'm a knife nut, so I'll never be able to cut those out). Everything else that used to be on my person sits organized in my backpack, which goes with me almost everywhere.

Has anyone else made the switch? And if so, why?

Hey Dan, Yes, it is easy to go overboard with gear, it can become an addiction.  At heart I am a minimalist, always refining my EDC.  But I do have a backpack that holds additional stuff that I will haul out as the situation demands.  I also maintain a bug out bag that holds the serious stuff.  I thought of buying a minimalist wallet but discovered if I thinned out the one I've got it worked just fine, easily sliding into my front pocket, when necessary.

#6 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

I think part of the fun of EDC as a hobby is minimalizing and decreasing the weight of my carry. I usually have some core items that I always carry no matter what (knife, phone, notebook, pen, slim wallet with a few cards), and I add other things like a multitool, light, second knife, etc. if I think any situation I might encounter during the day will require them. Of course, that leaves me slightly less prepared than if I always carried everything, but I prefer to keep an extended selection of gear in my car or backpack where it is close but not necessarily immediately in reach. 

• Arcturus likes this

#7 Guest_Pete the Machinist_*

Guest_Pete the Machinist_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:19 AM   Best Answer

Only stuff that rides on my person are my front-pocket wallet (a DIY variation of this), a bandana, my toothpick holder, my watch, and my trusty belt sheath.  The wallet holds my DL, insurance & motor club cards, and cash.  The rest of the wallet detritus is in a card case in my bag.  The belt sheath has my multitool, knife, and light.  Everything else goes in the bag.

I switched for pretty much the same reason most other people did... just carrying around too much stuff.  My girlfriend used to laugh at me when I would empty my pockets at night.  She said I looked like a little kid taking out all his treasures and the stuff he picked up all day long.

#8 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

Only stuff that rides on my person are my front-pocket wallet (a DIY variation of this), a bandana, my toothpick holder, my watch, and my trusty belt sheath. The wallet holds my DL, insurance & motor club cards, and cash. The rest of the wallet detritus is in a card case in my bag. The belt sheath has my multitool, knife, and light. Everything else goes in the bag.

I switched for pretty much the same reason most other people did... just carrying around too much stuff. My girlfriend used to laugh at me when I would empty my pockets at night. She said I looked like a little kid taking out all his treasures and the stuff he picked up all day long.

totally understand the girlfriend part! My wife would do the same to me, and always ask me why I needed so much stuff.

I actually slightly changed my carry. Lately all I carry is my phone, wallet, keys, watch, pen, and one knife (Kershaw Cryo). I think I may stick with one, and then I'll probably get a pocket multitool soon.

#9 Kalermaherpta

Kalermaherpta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

I switched to the most minimalist wallet out there...the MANBAND  Let me know if you can find anything more minimalist than this.  AND, it works perfect...holds my cards and some cash and never lets anything slip out until I pull it out.  

http://www.realmanband.com/

From the website:

Attached File  MBpocket2-edited2.jpg   167.45KB   0 downloads

This is mine:

Attached File  iccuMBpic.jpg   115.04KB   0 downloads

#10 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

I never was a heavy carrier, in fact, for a person being into EDC, I hate most anything in my pockets, so what I have is what I need, the rest goes in my backpack. I just always have keys, a knife, phone and my little kydex card carrier

EDC Culture

‚Äčgearfacts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users