Eyeing the Camps.

#22 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

Anybody have a Timex Weekender? I'm not much of a watch guy but could get use from one, and given the clean, simple design and cheap price of the Weekender, I think I may get one. Anybody care to chime in?

I have a weekender (was in my pic today). Simple design, inexpensive. You can't go wrong.
  • Stupendous Walrus likes this

#23 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 727 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

Anybody have a Timex Weekender? I'm not much of a watch guy but could get use from one, and given the clean, simple design and cheap price of the Weekender, I think I may get one. Anybody care to chime in?

Weekender, Seiko 5, or any G-Shock and you'd be set.

• Stupendous Walrus and Dave like this

#24 MTBoxer

MTBoxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

I rotate between:

Maratac GPT 2
Maratac Large pilot
Orient Sparta
Tissot Seastar
Magrette Moana Pacific Pro
Seiko Atlas
Seiko Orange monster
Victorinox Alpnach
Seiko GPT
Orient M Force

All automatic watches. Dont like changing batteries. All are accurate enough for time. If I want accurate I look at my phone. All are durable and reliable for EDC.

If on a budget I'd say go Seiko or Orient. But if your willing to spend in the 200 dollar range check out Maratac watches. If you have no budget get a Roly.
  • Ian and Falko Lendzian like this

#25 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

I rotate between:
Maratac GPT 2
Maratac Large pilot
Orient Sparta
Tissot Seastar
Magrette Moana Pacific Pro
Seiko Atlas
Seiko Orange monster
Victorinox Alpnach
Seiko GPT
Orient M Force
All automatic watches. Dont like changing batteries. All are accurate enough for time. If I want accurate I look at my phone. All are durable and reliable for EDC.
If on a budget I'd say go Seiko or Orient. But if your willing to spend in the 200 dollar range check out Maratac watches. If you have no budget get a Roly.

I love my Mararac GPT 1. Although both are out of my range if I was going to spend stupid money on a watch it would be an Omega or if I sold my car to buy a watch it would be a Panerai .
  • Plumblucky1 and Dave like this

#26 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

I have a weekender (was in my pic today). Simple design, inexpensive. You can't go wrong.

Thanks Dom. For the price even if I end up not wearing it much I think I may just get one.

Weekender, Seiko 5, or any G-Shock and you'd be set.

Thanks Mikey! I had never heard of the Seiko 5, but it is gorgeous. I may still grab a Weekender for harder use days but that Seiko is beautiful. My dad wore a high end Seiko for years until it was swallowed by Lake Huron. The G Shock is way to big and bulky for my liking.

Thanks folks. I may go from zero watches to 2 in no time!
  • Dom likes this

#27 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

Thanks Dom. For the price even if I end up not wearing it much I think I may just get one.

Thanks Mikey! I had never heard of the Seiko 5, but it is gorgeous. I may still grab a Weekender for harder use days but that Seiko is beautiful. My dad wore a high end Seiko for years until it was swallowed by Lake Huron. The G Shock is way to big and bulky for my liking.

You really can't go wrong with Timex. They're a good value, and really do take a licking. They look pretty good too.

#28 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 727 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:42 AM

What's great about Seiko 5 is you have smart, understated pieces like this all the way up to ridiculousness on your wrist like the Frankenmonster (what I'm eyeing myself for my next Seiko), and you get the same core 5 features of day/date/automatic/shock/waterproof. There are so many models for everyone that you can stick to the 5 series and have watches for every function your whole life.

As for G-shock, I hear you. I'm done with the clunkers useful only for showing off (especially now that I wear watches with the face on the inside) -- I'm eyeing this simple solar atomic for my next one.

• Stupendous Walrus, Dom and Phil Payonk like this

#29 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

What's great about Seiko 5 is you have smart, understated pieces like this all the way up to ridiculousness on your wrist like the Frankenmonster (what I'm eyeing myself for my next Seiko), and you get the same core 5 features of day/date/automatic/shock/waterproof. There are so many models for everyone that you can stick to the 5 series and have watches for every function your whole life.

As for G-shock, I hear you. I'm done with the clunkers useful only for showing off (especially now that I wear watches with the face on the inside) -- I'm eyeing this simple solar atomic for my next one.

I do like the look/design of that Solar Atomic Casio.  Functional simplicity at its best!  

Has anyone have any longterm use of Skagen watches?  I have one that my wife bought me for my birthday a couple years ago...it was a great find because they're reasonably priced and they have the thinnest watch faces I've seen in production watches.  Check out the Jørn.  It has the simple, elegant functionality of a Timex Weekender, but with an updated, classier design.  Their thinness wins me over again and again!  For something a little pricier, but still WAY reasonable for what you get, look at the Balder.  

Anyway, I'm very interested in diving deeper into the Skagen world.  Can anyone speak knowledgeably to their durability and longevity?  

#30 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 727 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

Chris, my goodness that is a sexy watch (the Jørn). Relevant thread on WUS; looks like durability is a little suspect.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#31 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

Chris, my goodness that is a sexy watch (the Jørn). Relevant thread on WUS; looks like durability is a little suspect.

Hmmm...reviews do seem to be a bit mixed.  I dunno, though.  I may take the plunge anyway.  It's still down the road a bit, as I have a couple other watches I want to get my hands on first.  The MVMT and Instrmnt 01 watches are  really tickling my fancy at the moment. 

#32 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. I think I'm going to pick up a Weekender model from Amazon, and if I feel like I'm down with wearing a watch (which I really should) then I will pick up a nicer model like the Seiko 5, which is sexy too.

Back when I was a kid and did wear a watch it was always a Casio watch. Can't go wrong with them.
  • Mark D Young likes this

#33 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Yep!  I keep a white face/brown leather band and a black face/black leather band.  At around $30 USD for each watch and another $25 for the customer bands, I'm at $85 for TWO of the best EDC watches anyone can own.  That's still less that many other single watches you could grab.

#34 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Chris. The watch is top of my list.

#35 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

this link from amazon http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002SSUQFG says NOT WATER RESISTANT on the Seiko 5 . good looking watch but that is a deal breaker for me.

#36 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

This place does custom watch work . http://www.motorcitywatchworks.com Their work blows my mind. I could blow thousands of dollars that I dont have with them. Their work is second to none.
  • Christopher likes this

#37 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Right now it's the Maratac large pilot
This is one of the very early ones they made, possibly the first run of them, if not shortly thereafter. The price has gone crazy since I bought mine. When I received it, it ran way fast like 10-15 seconds a day, since then and many months of regular adjustments, I have it down to +/- 1 second a day with regular daily wear, this particular watch is very influenced by my daily movement so if I'm off work for a week(I'm very active at work) then it dramatically slows, but it never really goes too fast any more ever.

ACF7A612-8C88-440B-A462-A6762E5665F6.jpg
  • Dave likes this

#38 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 727 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

this link from amazon http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002SSUQFG says NOT WATER RESISTANT on the Seiko 5 . good looking watch but that is a deal breaker for me.

Hmm, that's odd, because further down the page it's mentioned twice that water-resistant up to 30 feet (not to mention that it's a core feature of the Seiko 5 brand itself). I've seen that inconsistency on other watch listings on Amazon, too, for what it's worth.

Relevant WUS thread also.

#39 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hmm, that's odd, because further down the page it's mentioned twice that water-resistant up to 30 feet (not to mention that it's a core feature of the Seiko 5 brand itself). I've seen that inconsistency on other watch listings on Amazon, too, for what it's worth.

Relevant WUS thread also.

thought it seemed odd.

#40 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Attached File  IMG_1015.JPG   113.09KB   0 downloads

I have the Seiko 5 model 809 and I love it so far. I am planning on replacing the band soon, probably with either an olive green or gray nato strap, or with a brown leather band. The Seiko 5 series are listed as water resistant to 30m, but that just means that they are basically splash proof. It can take a little water, but I would never swim or shower with it.

• Plumblucky1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users