Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Pocket change - how do you handle your coins?

55 replies to this topic

#1 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

I don't carry a back and current use the front right fro coins... but as I am thinking about a pocket holster for the other stuff in their I am not sure how to deal with change as it will always be on the bottom of the pocket.....
Unless someone has a great idea?

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#2 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

Sorry can't help you there, Murray.  I usually don't have a lot of change, and the little that I have I leave in the car.  Kids are great at finding ways to use up and eliminate change :P  

• Jim Carr and Todd like this

#3 Mikkel

Mikkel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

This i know a thing or two about, since we still use alot of coins here in Denmark, which means that if you use cash, you will end up with some leftover coins in your pocket.
I've tried loads of different solutions, and im not a fan of having my main wallet overfilled by coins, neither of having them rolling around in my pocket, so i've ended up doing the same thing that my dad does, and his dad did before him - i carry a small wallet, made only for coins in my left front pocket, together with my phone, and once a week i sort it out, leaving what i dont need at home, and then take it to the bank when the jar i put them in at home, gets overloaded.
Dont know of its any help to you at all, but thats my experience :-)
  • Sven likes this

#4 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

I think a separate coin "wallet" is where I am heading.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#5 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

I don't carry coin, but when I end up with loose change it goes in a bucket or in my car to use for parking.

Here's a suggestion...I don't have one but I've seen this or similar posted around the forum:
http://www.amazon.co...ords=Coin stash

#6 Mikkel

Mikkel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

I think a separate coin "wallet" is where I am heading.

When i found the right one, it worked well for me at least :-) Good luck with figuring out what fits your needs! And maybe post here if you find some cool solution!  :D

#7 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

I keep about $20 in change (mostly quarters) in a container in my console. I HATE change in my pockets! When it gets there, it stays long enough to get home and be dumped in a 5 gallon bucket in the hall closet. Once a year it goes to the bank for counting and ends up in savings. It usually averages $500 a pop. 

• Dom likes this

#8 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

I just keep paper currency in pockets.  Silver goes into the zipper pouch in my car, for the vending machines.  Pennies get thrown into an old popcorn tin until it gets full enough to go to the bank.

#9 Reservoir Dawg

Reservoir Dawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

I carry my coins by giving them to the Mrs. ;)

DM<

• Dom and T Shrapnel-Carruthers like this

The Closer '15

#10 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:46 AM

I rarely leave the house with coins; when I do they are in my back-right pocket, which is also where I put those collected during the day.

In my briefcase I have a small mesh zip pouch that I slip coins into before going through airport scanners.

MvGVEoH.jpg

When I get home I put any € coins into a dish by my desk. My wife uses the larger coins (€1s & €2s) for public transport, charity collectors get a bunch of the smaller stuff and every so often I drop the rest at the bank.

#11 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

Not EDC per se but these are often with me.

dx3dUds.jpg

I have one of these for currencies that I carry regularly (GBP, USD, and a couple of others) plus cards and coins specific to destination (e.g. Oyster card for public transport in London). Makes it easy to replace things you don't need with stuff you do, with minimum of planning. For example, earlier this year I did a trip to Singapore and Australia - both places I have been to often and expect to return again - so all I had to do was pick the two relevant pouches from my safe and I was equipped with notes, coins and a travel card.

#12 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

Thanks everyone. My immediate adjustment is to use my rear right pocket for change so I don't have to go past my keys and knife in the front right to get to it. Strange/amazing how it takes a group of complete strangers to point out the most obvious solution which I had not as of yet reached on my own....... I also download it to the dresser but always like to have a few toonies and loonies for a tea, parking or the folks on the street. So for now rear pocket.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#13 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:59 PM

I can't stand carrying change! Whenever I use cash and have leftover change, it goes straight to my vehicle. Quarters, dimes, and nickels then go into an old sunglasses pouch in my backpack, which is saved for the vending machine at work.

#14 M Travis Shelley

M Travis Shelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

Kids.

The answer is have kids.  Make them carry it.

Problem solved.

;)

• Brendan likes this

Semper Paratuse68bdee2-c306-4365-ba3d-d7d742098d83_zpsSic Semper Tyrannis

#15 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

Put it in a big jar at the end of the day and when it gets full upgrade your EDC
  • T Shrapnel-Carruthers, M Travis Shelley and Cambell Baxter like this

#16 Leon

Leon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

I've been struggling with the same... Living in Belgium I really can't do without a couple of coins. 

I 3D printed something I call "Cavity Card" which is a little add-on on a credit card creating just enough space to keep a couple of coins or a key while not adding too much bulk and still fitting my minimal wallet. 

Published it on shapeways: https://www.shapeway...hops/cavitycard

Let me know what you think!

• T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this

#17 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

I've been struggling with the same... Living in Belgium I really can't do without a couple of coins. 

I 3D printed something I call "Cavity Card" which is a little add-on on a credit card creating just enough space to keep a couple of coins or a key while not adding too much bulk and still fitting my minimal wallet. 

Published it on shapeways: https://www.shapeway...hops/cavitycard

Let me know what you think!

Funnily enough I am planning much the same thing, mainly for SIM and memory cards. The difference is that I will use good old styrene sheet.

#18 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

That is a very cool solution. Thanks.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#19 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

This is my first pass at credit-card sized memory card carrier:

XRgezYT.jpg

HnBnQLQ.jpg

The thingy on the right is for a tool for pulling out the micro SD <> SD adapter in my MacBook.

#20 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

That's slick. I like how the edges are "keyed" but how does it stay closed? are the tolerances such that is snaps together?

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users