Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Phone in left front pocket, right handed?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:10 AM

I just started doing this, mainly because I always have my knife clipped in my right pocket, and my knife can make reaching my phone difficult without unclipping my knife (I have a large otter box-style case for my iPhone 5C). I like to have easy access to everything in my pockets, and I have been considering switching to a more minimalist carry on my person. Does anyone else do this? Most people I know keep their phone in their prominent hand pocket.
  • Marc and thelookout like this

#2 Sven

Sven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hi Dan,

I do it the same way. Same reason. I am right handed and what I need in my right hand in an emergency situation is not the phone...
I take out the phone with my left hand and as it is a 5 inch bulky phone it is in the correct (left) hand for access with my dominant right hand.
I think you are doing it the correct way and I myself cannot imagine to switch the phone to the front right pocket.

• Marc and Dave like this

#3 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

Same thing here, Dan.  I'm right handed and keep the things I need and use most in my right pocket: knife, flashlight, small multi-tool and pen, and my phone sits alone in the left pocket. 

• Jim Carr and Dave like this

#4 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

If I'm carrying my phone in pants pocket (versus jacket), I keep it in right pocket...I'm a rightie. Other gear is secondary...I consider my phone to be my most important piece of safety gear. 

• David Quevedo likes this

#5 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'm still experimenting with how it feels/usefulness of keeping it in the left pocket. Now I have to figure out what to do with some of my gear that I usually keep in my left..

#6 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

If I'm carrying my phone in pants pocket (versus jacket), I keep it in right pocket...I'm a rightie. Other gear is secondary...I consider my phone to be my most important piece of safety gear. 

I agree.  My phone is my most used piece of EDC; so I want to have it extremely handy - and I prefer it on my right side (being right-handed); but I cannot stand carrying a phone in a pocket (regardless of which side), for several reasons:

1. When I pick up my phone, I want it to be on the first ring.  That's not possible, with a phone buried in my pocket - especially while using an Otterbox Defender case - which is wonderful, for not slipping off a surface that's not perfectly level, but not so wonderful, for digging out of a pocket, because it's so grippy/bulky.  It's a fight, getting it out of a pocket.  Clipped to the holster, it comes off very quickly, and very easily, while still extremely well-protected in the other layers, when it's not clipped to the holster.
  2. I use my iPhone camera quite a bit, for impromptu photos.  I take thousands of pictures with it, every year.  Obviously, it comes nowhere close to having a real, dedicated, decent quality camera, with full manual control (and fuller control of my lighting, for stills); but it's the camera I always have with me, and sometimes those "Kodak moments" are fleeting; so having to dig a camera out of my pocket, may cause me to completely lose out on the killer shot that I could have gotten, had I been able to reach the phone more quickly.
  3. I prefer using my pockets to carry a lot of other stuff (my knives, multi-tools, or whatever) that I want handy, but not as handy as I want/need my phone.  I don't really have room for a phone in my pockets. That's what belt holsters are for.

My two cents' worth. No disrespect meant towards anyone, here.   I know opinions vary widely; and I'm most definitely in the minority, here - which is okay.  It's our differences that makes things interesting, in forums like these.  If we all did things exactly the same way, things would be pretty boring. There wouldn't be much to discuss, would there?

• Dom and Joe like this

#7 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

Shirt pocket.  No shirt pocket, belt holster.  I'm hearing impaired, so I use a bluetooth earphone, and it doesn't matter what pocket it's in.

• Cody likes this

#8 Mikkel

Mikkel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:37 AM

I keep my phone in my right front pocket, with a small coin wallet and my notebook, because im right handed, and because my phone and my notebook are the items i carry that i use the most. Here we are not allowed to carry a knife that can be opened with one hand, so it really doesn't matter which pocket i keep my knife in, its slow to get out either way.
My knife, flashlight, lip balm, etc. goes in the left, keys on a carabiner and wallet in my jacket. 

#9 Roy

Roy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada (for now)

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:59 AM

I do the same except opposite pocket and position. I'm left handed but I carry my phone in my right side cargo pocket just loose. The phone is an afterthought for me, to the point that I somtimes forget to leave home with it. I very rarely use it on a daily basis though. This keeps my main slash pockets clear and dedicated to knife left, multitool right, my two most used pieces of gear.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed".

#10 TyR

TyR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

I'm a righty and have a Note 4 (Big phone). i actually keep my knife in my left as I pull the phone more than the knife. unless like said above I have a jacket in which case the phone moves to right Jacket pocket and knife goes right pocket. I think the key is to try a few different placements and find what "feels" right to you. You want gear to sit comfortably and easy to access. 9I'm actually contemplating a belt holster for the knife and flashlight)

#11 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

Phone goes in left gear goes in the right just feels more natural for me nice to know I'm not alone

#12 PeteJ

PeteJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

Depends for me as I don't carry a knife in my pocket,

My phone is either in my left pocket (am right handed) if im listening to music as that way the volume controls are in the right place for me to access easily, 

If im not I will tend to had it in my right pocket unless i have my house keys on me in which case it goes in my left pocket,

#13 blackfeathers

blackfeathers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

I've moved some of my carry items from pockets to just below the belt hanging on belt keepers as well as use cargo pants to carry smart phones. The reason for moving items below the belt area is so that I can comfortably wear a jacket without the side bulges.

My phone is in a durable case comparable to an Otterbox in some ways. I sometimes keep that in a cargo pocket or a hand pocket in a jacket. Sometimes I even use a Maxpedition pocket organizer attached to a *gated/locking* Niteize carabiner (so it doesn't accidentally fall off) attached to a belt keeper to hold items.

I think the trick might be not to overload your pockets and think of other practical alternatives... Maybe even reserving your pocket for your phone and move other items elsewhere. Think outside the pocket, if you will. :)

#14 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

I just started doing this, mainly because I always have my knife clipped in my right pocket, and my knife can make reaching my phone difficult without unclipping my knife (I have a large otter box-style case for my iPhone 5C). I like to have easy access to everything in my pockets, and I have been considering switching to a more minimalist carry on my person. Does anyone else do this? Most people I know keep their phone in their prominent hand pocket.

I do this too. I organize my edc in a way that certain items do not rub up against each other. I don't like to damage my stuff. So knife and phone will never go in the same pocket. As for my knife, right pocket for right handed is a must. Phone in the left hand is manageable. In hard use, I simply take out my phone from the left pocket and put it in my right hand. minimal use like checking notifications, left hand is good enough

You can argue that you can put your knife in your back right pocket. This never worked out for me. for awhile, I carried a backup knife in the back right. I ended up rubbing the clip on my car's paint as I got in, especially when trying to get into the car in tight spaces. I stopped carrying a backup because of it.

#15 Marc

Marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

Phone sits alone in the left pocket. Knife, pen and other knife stay in right pocket. Right handed and the knife in the right front pocket is best for me. Though I sit at a desk most of the day so my phone stays on the desk for the majority of the time. My main reason for it sitting in the left is simple easy for me and less bulk allowing me to get whatever I need out of any pocket with out a hassle, also less scratches on phone and case sitting all alone. 

#16 thelookout

thelookout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

I use the left pocket for my Lenovo P770 as I am right handed and it's easier for me to keep the keys and hanky in the right pocket. Its almost this way as I don't carry my multi-tool to office, but when I do, it sits in the right pocket.

Also, I do not use any case for my already heavy cell phone, so I prefer to not keep anything else with it just to avoid any scratches. That leaves just my Panasonic RP-HJE140 earphones whenever I carry them.

#17 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:10 AM

About 90% of the time it lives in the dafe in my truck or the house charger. I only keep it in a pocket if I'm going to be out for any length of time. In general, I hate the damned thing. Its an electronic jail keeper that robs you of intelligence. No games, no aps, no steady stream of texting for no good reason. Half the time I forget it at home and dont really miss it.
  • Nathaniel P likes this

#18 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

In general, I hate the damned thing. Its an electronic jail keeper that robs you of intelligence. No games, no aps, no steady stream of texting for no good reason. Half the time I forget it at home and dont really miss it.

Same here. That's why I refuse to own a smart phone. I have a very old Nokia (super tough) that can call and text if it has to, but it has those numeric keys where you have to push a button 4 times to get a letter "s", so I -hate- using it. I have it with me only one day of the week, if that, and when I do carry the phone it's stuffed deep into my school backpack.

I would rather not have my situational awareness reduced to that of a blind monkey, and I certainly don't want to be the next "man falls into fountain while texting on smartphone" video :lol:.

(And plus, the money spent on a phone/data plan can be used to buy more EDC stuff. ;) )

#19 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

If I'm wearing a shirt with pockets, the phone goes in the right pocket. I'm right handed but like to keep that hand free. In my gym shorts, left pocket. In cargo shorts, left cargo pocket. With a tee shirt and there's no other options, I'll carry in a holster on my left hip. Typing all this out I realize it sounds compacted but it's a system I'm comfortable with.     

#20 Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMilford Haven

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Phone in front left and keys (and Gerber Dime, when I carry it) in the front right.  This is true for office trousers, jeans, cargoes, whatever.  I'm right-handed, but find it easy enough to use the phone with my left hand.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users