#21 James DeAngelis

James DeAngelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

I carry an altoid tin.  I carry a very small flashlight, the letherman dime, a memory stick, an SD card, and on the tin I have eletrical tape on one side and duct tape on the other. My other Tin that I have in a backpack has srike stick to start fires, fishing line, bandaids,a few diffrent pills for upset stomach,pain meds, matches, and tapes on both sides of the tin

#22 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

I don't carry my Altoids tin, but I have a small paracord kit. It's comprised of a Victorinox Swisscard, standard Bic lighter, and a small coil of safety orange paracord to make sure things don't rattle around in the tin.

#23 RonHatchett

RonHatchett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

Thought you guys may find this video useful.

• Duff72, Jason R and Moose like this

#24 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

@Ron: I have seen Urban Prepper's videos.  I love them.  Especially since he is in Seattle, so close enough to Portland that a lot of what he has is applicable to me in Portland.  Thanks for sharing the video!

#25 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

20170306_073604_1_zps4giswjbj.jpg

gotta love Altoids tins!

20170306_072019_zpsirbrcwzm.jpg

#26 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:31 AM

Hey all, so I have seen a lot of videos of things people put in Altoids tins.  I just got a Road ID bracelet and it came in a square tin, about 3 1/4" X 3 1/4" and about 1 1/4" thick.  I am thinking about putting a little kit together for my Urban EDC.  I am looking for ideas of what to put in it.  This would go in my bag I carry with me to work each day, or it could become a part of my get-home bag I am working on too.

For those of you who have Altoid Tin kits in your EDC, what are some things you put in them?

The best answer I can give is check out theurbanprepper on youtube. He has the most extensive urban altoids kit. 

I used to carry an altoids kit but got tired of repairing it. Like T.U.P. I glued tiny rare earth magnets in my can to hold items in place. The glue kept letting go. It became too much trouble for me.

Some of the items I carried:

The can was in a Lowpro camera pouch on my belt.

In the outside pocket of said pouch was bandaids, Pills in small ziplock bags from a craft store.

I was going to suggest a ton of items but since you have seen TUP's videos then their is no point. LOL

I'd like to suggest an alternative: A Grid-It. Very easy to make. My 5 by 10 only took an hour or two.

The advantages are:

Larger items that will not fit in an altoids tin will fit on this.

What's on it can be switched out for a day off.

All your small to medium sized items are out of the pack at once. 

Attached File  SAM_0595 - Edited.jpg   168.05KB   0 downloads

#27 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

Tins like this are great to carry any card that has a magnetic strip on it; to ward off the attempts of RFID thieves.

It's nearly impossible for a thief to steal the information from a RFID card. It's all hype to sell RFID blocking wallets.

Also a magnetic strip doesn't transmit.

#28 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

I have several similar tins.

1. Actual Altoids tin with some prescription and over the counter meds, minor wound-related first aid items, and things of a similar genre.

2. Solkoa Survival tin with the contents of an ITS Tactical Survival tin plus a LM Squirt PS4, some E&E gear, and related items. It holds a lot.

3. Now empty ITS Tactical tin

4. Altoids size tin from CRKT that had a lite knife in it and directions to make one's own survival tin.

#29 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:39 AM

I have several similar tins.

1. Actual Altoids tin with some prescription and over the counter meds, minor wound-related first aid items, and things of a similar genre.

2. Solkoa Survival tin with the contents of an ITS Tactical Survival tin plus a LM Squirt PS4, some E&E gear, and related items. It holds a lot.

3. Now empty ITS Tactical tin

4. Altoids size tin from CRKT that had a lite knife in it and directions to make one's own survival tin.

The CRKT knife is pretty good going by the reviews on youtube.

#30 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

The CRKT knife is pretty good going by the reviews on youtube.

It doesn't seem to strike a ferro rod and make sparks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm actually new to ferro rods.

#31 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

Did you scrap off the black coating? The rod should be shiny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users