30 replies to this topic

#1 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:48 PM

Hey all, so I have seen a lot of videos of things people put in Altoids tins.  I just got a Road ID bracelet and it came in a square tin, about 3 1/4" X 3 1/4" and about 1 1/4" thick.  I am thinking about putting a little kit together for my Urban EDC.  I am looking for ideas of what to put in it.  This would go in my bag I carry with me to work each day, or it could become a part of my get-home bag I am working on too.

For those of you who have Altoid Tin kits in your EDC, what are some things you put in them?

• BomopursE likes this

#2 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:29 PM

I have also looked at a lot of this survival tins, and made one for myself. But it's more of an urban kit. It contains things I could need on a normal working day such like a few band aids, some safity pins, painkillers and some duct tape. I don't see the case, where I need to make fire in the middle of a city :-). I also added a tiny package of superglue. So just some tools for quick repairs.

#3 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:21 AM

Oh yeah, this is definitely for Urban EDC.  Getting to/from work.  I will be doing public transport at the end of the summer (light rail is coming within a mile of my house) and  I think it will be more important to think this through more.  I also work on the other side of the river from where I live and the Get-Home-Bag is going to be important in the event of an earthquake and if all the bridges in Portland fail, I am going to be screwed.  :)

• TK likes this

#4 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

For those of you who have Altoid Tin kits in your EDC, what are some things you put in them?

I have a small tin, about the same size as you describe, to carry a small selection of tablets (ibuprofen, diarrhoea, a prescription). In the rough & tumble of my bag these sometimes get pushed out of their blister packaging. I have thought about getting a slightly larger tin to include other first aid stuff such as plasters but I am not convinced of value for EDC.

#5 Kay Kaur

Kay Kaur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Tins like this are great to carry any card that has a magnetic strip on it; to ward off the attempts of RFID thieves.

• T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this

#6 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

I use a small Altoids Mini tin to hold a couple AA batteries for my flashlight. I am thinking about buying a tin of full size Altoids to use for other carry (I will be eating the mints just so you know :D).

#7 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:16 PM

I am still trying to figure out what I want to put in my tin.  I just got a new Timbuk2 Rogue backpack for commuting to work and still working out my setup for work.

#8 blackfeathers

blackfeathers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

I try to avoid the "solution looking for a problem" approach since it doesn't necessarily help streamline an EDC. Otherwise you end up carrying more weight. 

In EDC applications, I don't use tins for dedicated use - only for versatility when it's needed - such as holding small electronics (components and circuit boards) and related pieces that might get lost. I've made a survival kit back in the day but they aren't very practical as an EDC, only for a store-in-case-of-emergency type thing. 

I used to carry spare change but hate it when they rattle so I added some foam or cloth to dampen the sound. Later ended up using other devices for coins, which are much better. 

Adafruit and even eBay have some nice, clean horizontal / rectangular altoid-style cases without any logos which can hold a Leatherman's bit driver kit, when needed.

Tins are great for holding and protecting microfiber lens cleaning cloths.

Basically, I use tins when I don't want to carry a full blown pocket organiser (like the Maxpedition micro pocket org) just for a few items and adjust them so they won't rattle. But what I put in them rotate around, depending on what I need at that time. It's always changing and a great choice option when one presents itself.

#9 Tom Morey

Tom Morey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

I have also looked at a lot of this survival tins, and made one for myself. But it's more of an urban kit. It contains things I could need on a normal working day such like a few band aids, some safity pins, painkillers and some duct tape. I don't see the case, where I need to make fire in the middle of a city :-). I also added a tiny package of superglue. So just some tools for quick repairs.

Would you consider a mini lighter to sterilize a safety pin for foreign body removals in skin, etc?

#10 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

Would you consider a mini lighter to sterilize a safety pin for foreign body removals in skin, etc?

Why not just put 1 or 2 individual alcohol prep pads in the tin with the mini Bic lighter?

The prep pad will sterilize the safety pin better with no messy carbon build up,and it can also serve as tinder to help start a fire. It can also be used to clean a wound after removing the splinter.

Any item you decide to carry be it in an Altoids tin or a full size pack needs to be multi-purpose.

#11 Patti

Patti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

I posted this info in my introduction thread, so pardon the duplication. Altoid tin kits are quite handy and I'm looking forward to seeing what goes into your urban carry one. Right now I live in a rural area and generally carry a small backpack for my EDC gear. These three tins fit across the bottom and most of the things in them have been used within the last six months, or are something I'd wished I had with me at some point. Total weight is 8.5 oz. with battery, 7.5 oz. without.

Attached File  P1110117.JPG   534.48KB   0 downloads      Attached File  P1110118.JPG   501.27KB   0 downloads

FAK: a latex glove, a very small knife (thanks 3M for the giveaway!) with tweezers and scissors, six adhesive bandages, one non-adhesive bandage, moleskin, a tampon, dental floss, Advil, Nyquil, Benadryl, Clarinex, and eyedrops. Things still needed: alcohol swabs, antibiotic ointment.

Firestarting (new addition to my EDC but may migrate back to hiking kit): waterproof matches, dryer lint, cotton balls soaked in vaseline and dipped in wax, candle, Cricket lighter, and tampon. When camping a few weeks ago I used up half of the cotton balls I'd prepared when my husband forgot his usual bag of kindling. This may be the first time in 50 years he'd left it behind. Imagine his surprise when I popped out my new box and said "let's try this". He was skeptical, and surprised that I had a fire going in under a minute as I'm usually setting up camp while he builds the fire.

Just-In-Case: back-up battery for camera, (back-up battery for flashlight not in picture), magnet, small and large safety pins, lens cleaning cloth, Burt's Bees lip balm, two micro toothbrushes, one hard candy, a couple of quarters, a piece of blank paper, $20.

I'm sure some of you are laughing about the tampons. :-) They are there as clean and highly absorbant materials for wound care and as super compressed tinder. I haven't been carrying a small mirror, anticipating that the interior of the tins would be sufficient reflective surfaces, but may rethink this. So, my friends, what would you add or take out?

• Marc, Guy Patton and Andrew Cohen like this

#12 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:12 AM

Lots of different tins. 2.25 inch square x 1/4 inch holds the blue tooth and a short charging dongle if I don't have the kit with all the chargers. An Altoids tin used to carry band-aids, self-stick tape and duct tape wrapped around a bolt, a little liquid skin in a phial from a health food/vitamin shop, steri-strips, analgesic, small scissors, a pin, matches, safety pins, a small plastic container of 3 in 1 antibiotic cream. Other tins hold back-up ear-buds and USB charging cords. One can has a variety of cough-drops and throat lozenges along with stuff for allergies. And a few tissues. The oral hygiene box-floss, those little toothbrushes with toothpaste built into them, toothpicks.  I have a lot of boxes, and load them with whatever seems to be needed.I also got some small lined cloth zipper bags that work well for keeping track of stuff also. Different colors for different gear. Glasses cleaner, microfiber cloths, screwdriver and back-up parts. I hate it when I can't see, and have made a few friends along the way doing repairs for people.

As to what to put in the OPs tin? I think you need to look at what is important to you, your surroundings, weather, what things you need based on physical needs (glasses? Medical issues? etc.), and how much stuff you intend to carry. Try for multipurpose items whenever possible.

Altoids tins can be Dremeled clean, or you can use steel wool and sandpaper as well to take off the labels. I have a bunch of them, along with round tins you push down on the top to open also. If you really need some tins, I can send some for the cost of shipping. Drop a line if you need to.

• Patti likes this

#13 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

It seems like you have two themes going with your tins, they seem to be more along the lines of EDC than an actual survival tin. What is more important to you? You might consider making a dedicated survival tin, you could cut your tins down from 3 to 2.

As far as your IFAK goes, I would swap out the knife for a single edge razor blade or even a cut down scalpel. Add a few alcohol prep pads, perhaps a small single use tube of dermabond (medical grade super glue) to close a small laceration. You can also get iodine prep pads as well.

Perhaps a 2x2 gauze pad and a small amount of medical tape.

Medication wise consider Aleve/ naproxen that seems to be the best all around pain relief over the counter stuff I have used. It lasts up to 12 hours.

You might consider something for diarrhea, a stool softener, and Benadryl all single dose individually wrapped.

With all your tins you will want to wrap them with tape electrical tape or duct tape will work so you can make them more water proof. With the electrical tape you can unwrap and wrap again multiple times.

When it comes to tampons I was taught by a Special Forces Medic/Physician Assistant to pack tampons in my aid bag. They can plug bullet holes and other penetrating wounds in the limbs. They can be used as tinder and also as a feminine hygiene product.

There is a book by a former Marine JD McCann titled " Build the Perfect Survival Kit " It is an excellent book that will show you how to build a kit using a tin, sheet of aluminum foil, pouch, pack etc., from tiny to large. He also has a great web store with the book which just came out in a new edition http://www.survivalr...ival_Books.html.

• Patti likes this

#14 Patti

Patti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

Lots of different tins.

Altoids tins can be Dremeled clean, or you can use steel wool and sandpaper as well to take off the labels. ...

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas on kits to make. Show us some of yours?

#15 Patti

Patti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

It seems like you have two themes going with your tins, they seem to be more along the lines of EDC than an actual survival tin. What is more important to you? You might consider making a dedicated survival tin, you could cut your tins down from 3 to 2.

There is a book by a former Marine JD McCann titled " Build the Perfect Survival Kit " It is an excellent book that will show you how to build a kit using a tin, sheet of aluminum foil, pouch, pack etc., from tiny to large. He also has a great web store with the book which just came out in a new edition http://www.survivalr...ival_Books.html.

Thank you for the well thought out suggestions and reference. I'll have to give my kits some more thought and look forward to picking up the book.

• armydoc likes this

#16 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

I EDC a hybrid FAK/urban survival tin.  I repurposed a candy tin (Japanese chewy milk candies), and it's about 3 1/4 X 4 X 1.  I have a pair of vinyl/nitrite gloves (in a small baggy), two cotton balls, a sewing needle on some spare card, some dental floss wound around it, generic allergy tablets in a melted straw holder (will probably switch it out soon for fast melt tablets), four advils, four extra prescription thyroid hormone pills, two bandages (will have to refill these soon), four alcohol swabs, a foot of duct tape on parchment paper, full size nail clippers, a mini tube of super glue (used this for repairs, and minor injuries - nothing deep although), and three packs of gauze sponges.  The back of the tin has enough change for bus fare in my city duct taped to it.

Some other additions I'd add is a strip on medical tape on the back of the duct tape backing, and maybe cotton cosmetic pads instead of cotton balls.  Also, if I can find some small packets of antibiotic ointment to add to this.

I'd like to say that I have used everything in this packet except for the medical gauze and bandages.

• Patti likes this

#17 Alli3001

Alli3001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

never knew how to create DIY tins by myself

#18 Patti

Patti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

Nice FAK/survival tin @Andrea-Lok! Well done on packing so much into a small tin.

#19 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:30 AM

Nice FAK/survival tin @Andrea-Lok! Well done on packing so much into a small tin.

Made a few adjustments:  added a packet of burn gel, four more band-aids, put all the painkiller tablets in melted straw holders, put low dose asa tablets into my package (my dad is a heart attack survivor, and he does not EDC anything) and will add antiseptic/antibiotic ointment in another melted straw holder (X2).  Everything fits well, and now with the pills in the straws, it's less of a mess to get to them, although now I do need scissors to access them - and that's when my SAK is handy.

Will probably make another tin based one for my dad.  He doesn't EDC, but stowing it at work in his desk should be a good compromise.

#20 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Patti,

I apologize for following up sooner than I had planned.

The major components to consider when building a tin are these (this comes straight out of the book I spoke to you about) Rather than just list the categories I threw in some gear options for you that he suggests.

Fire/Light

Inova, Streamlight Nano, Photon micro light

Mini ferro rod, single trick birthday candle, fresnel lens  several waterproofed matches and striking surface glued inside tin, one or two military style tinder tabs, military sparking device.

Navigation

Small button compass

Signaling

small signaling mirror, photon microlight variants have strobe and momentary pressure switch for signaling, morse code etc., titanium micro whistle like the Nitecore NWS10 whistle (120 decibels)

Water/Food

1 Condom non-lubricated it can be used to transport water as it is very strong and can expand quite a bit. To offer extra protection to the condom if possible you can stick it in a sweat sock that you might be wearing.

Smallfishing kit containing several hooks and 12-20 lb line wrapped around a small sewing machine bobbin, some A few small squeeze on sinkers small rubber lure.

Dedicated snare wire, or a military style wire saw that can be used as a snare, or a length of brass wire that will allow you to make your own snare

A small knife, I suggest Doug Ritter's RSK Mk5 (Ritter Survival Knife) I have it myself, it is a fixed blade designed for an Altoids size tin. I have seen people use it to baton through wooden branches when the were processing fire wood.

Shelter

You might consider another small sewing machine bobbin for wrapping dental floss on, or bank line. that way you can bind together a wooden frame for a shelter. You could also wrap the outside of the tin with a length of 550 cord.

Tell me what you think of the book if you decide to pick it up. I have yet to get the revised edition

For anyone else interested in the book I spoke of it is called "Build The Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann The book addresses everything from an Altoids tin to a vehicle kit for a car, airplane, boat, and everything in between. He runs the website http://www.survivalr...s/Products.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users