• Dom and Chris Szaroleta like this

#23 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

With my poor photographic skills, I've been reluctant to attempt any beam shots, but I can try to give it a go. Any tips you can share would be appreciated (my wife has a compact Nikon I got her for photographing her cakes/cookies, and it is somewhat programmable).

I looked through the PDF manual on your S9600, but couldn't find a setting in the scene settings, that might best fit the beam shot challenge. Some of the interesting ones called for long exposures, which means you'd definitely need to use a tripod.

I'm experiencing this challenge, myself, as far as color accuracy, between shots, using different lights, at night.  If you can get your hands on a tripod, and just use the full auto setting (with no flash, of course), that may end up yielding your best single beam shots.  The problem with using full auto is that it keeps changing the exposure settings, so if you're trying to compare brightness levels, between one light and another, it's hard to do, with the camera, second-guessing what the exposure setting should be, from one shot to the next.

• Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#24 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

I looked through the PDF manual on your S9600, but couldn't find a setting in the scene settings, that might best fit the beam shot challenge. Some of the interesting ones called for long exposures, which means you'd definitely need to use a tripod.

I'm experiencing this challenge, myself, as far as color accuracy, between shots, using different lights, at night.  If you can get your hands on a tripod, and just use the full auto setting (with no flash, of course), that may end up yielding your best single beam shots.  The problem with using full auto is that it keeps changing the exposure settings, so if you're trying to compare brightness levels, between one light and another, it's hard to do, with the camera, second-guessing what the exposure setting should be, from one shot to the next.

I looked through it too, and couldn't find a setting that I thought would work either, so I decided on the "night portrait" setting as a starting point. I'll post the shots in the next post. It looks like there was an issue with the brightness, however, you can see the color difference as well - I took comparison shots with my TK22 since it was the only other light I have that comes anywhere near the TN12 in terms of lumens (and since you have the same one, I thought it would provide a good frame of reference).

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#25 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:07 AM

Ok, so here are the outside night beam shots of the Thrunite TN12 in neutral white tint. I have comparison shots with my Fenix TK22, which has a cool white tint. Max LED lumens on the TN12 is 1050 on max, and on the TK22 is 650 on high. The TN12 photos will be on the bottom of each set (and yes, I know I need to finish mowing my lawn lol).

These first shots were taken at a distance of about 25 feet.

Both on low (TN12 - 20 lumens, TK22 - 7 lumens):

DSCN0033_zpsi9n4k29r.jpgDSCN0034_zpsziyfhr0e.jpg

On these you can really see the difference in tint between the cool white (top) and neutral white (bottom), with the latter being much truer to the actual color of the tree.

These next shots were taken on the highest setting for each light (TN12 - 1050 lumens, TK22 - 650 lumens).

DSCN0035_zpsv8lppcfj.jpg

DSCN0032_zpst8igsimo.jpg

I just realized looking at the photos that I aimed each light at a different part of the tree so exact comparisons are harder :( However, you'll notice right off the bat that you don't see much difference in brightness or color of the tree at the highest settings in these shots. I think it may have more to do with the closeness of the tree and/or the automatic camera settings than the lights themselves (if you look closely, you can see that the jasmine in the background is much greener in the bottom (TN12) shot.

The last shots are again at max/high power, and are of a shed about 30-35 yards away. You'll notice the TK22 throws a little better because its larger head gives it more spot, whereas the TN12 is a bit more floody. You can also really see the color difference in the led tints (the shed is a pretty basic brown color, and you can see the color difference in the grass - or weeds :unsure: - as the case may be):

DSCN0036_zpsmsieyo9t.jpg

DSCN0037_zpsorpzyblm.jpg

Oh yeah, I bumped the tripod before the bottom shot, so again they're not exactly the same shot (hey, it was dark out there).

So anyways, these again were my first attempts at beam shots, so I hope they were somewhat useful, or at least interesting for you guys...and with this experience under my belt, maybe the next time won't be so bad lol.

• Mikey Bautista, Chris Szaroleta, David Quevedo and 1 other like this

#26 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:07 AM

Looks awesome, Mel!

• Mel R. likes this

#27 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:59 AM

Looks awesome, Mel!

Thanks Chris! It was definitely a learning experience

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#28 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

Got my T10T this evening, so here are some glamour shots:

asS9iFW.jpg

rVn1pk2.jpg

Immediate thoughts:

• It's smaller than expected, and smaller than it looks like in photos.
  • Its neutral white isn't as as good the Beta's (obviously), but pretty damn close. I just did a test now and it's hard for me to tell the difference, except that the Beta's seems more...refined, somehow, less artificial-looking.
  • 169 lumens is plenty bright for EDC.
  • Its diffuser is PERFECT.
  • Its clicky is very nice. I see now why people didn't like the clicky on the Sunwayman V10R Ti+ (which I previously owned), it was wiggly and imbalanced and not as well-pronounced in its action.
  • I like the boot design.
  • Its head, from the chamfer of the opening to the reflector is very clean and well-made. Emitter is centered perfectly.
  • The machined grooves on the head are excellent. No rough edges whatsoever. The polish on the rest of the body is also quite nice.

Let me know if you guys have more questions. It's love at first sight with this light, I like it more than when I got the V10R, and that was four times more expensive.

P.S. That's a QDC Mini pen in the first photo. :P

#29 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Got my T10T this evening, so here are some glamour shots:

Immediate thoughts:

• It's smaller than expected, and smaller than it looks like in photos.
  • Its neutral white isn't as as good the Beta's (obviously), but pretty damn close. I just did a test now and it's hard for me to tell the difference, except that the Beta's seems more...refined, somehow, less artificial-looking.
  • 169 lumens is plenty bright for EDC.
  • Its diffuser is PERFECT.
  • Its clicky is very nice. I see now why people didn't like the clicky on the Sunwayman V10R Ti+ (which I previously owned), it was wiggly and imbalanced and not as well-pronounced in its action.
  • I like the boot design.
  • Its head, from the chamfer of the opening to the reflector is very clean and well-made. Emitter is centered perfectly.
  • The machined grooves on the head are excellent. No rough edges whatsoever. The polish on the rest of the body is also quite nice.

Let me know if you guys have more questions. It's love at first sight with this light, I like it more than when I got the V10R, and that was four times more expensive.

P.S. That's a QDC Mini pen in the first photo. :P

All this praise for the T10T is really making me want one! First things first though - brass (and the Maratac). Speaking of which, is that the QDC mini pen from MC Fabrications? Been itching one, but still waiting for Mike to offer his bolt action pen with clip first.

#30 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

All this praise for the T10T is really making me want one! First things first though - brass (and the Maratac). Speaking of which, is that the QDC mini pen from MC Fabrications? Been itching one, but still waiting for Mike to offer his bolt action pen with clip first.

Yes it is, Mike had sent me the all-brass one that I'm hoping to review soon. :)

#31 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Yes it is, Mike had sent me the all-brass one that I'm hoping to review soon. :)

Sweet, I really like his work. If you give it the thumbs-up, I might just have to put off the bolt and grab one first for my brass carry.

#32 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

Ok, so here are the outside night beam shots of the Thrunite TN12 in neutral white tint. I have comparison shots with my Fenix TK22, which has a cool white tint. Max LED lumens on the TN12 is 1050 on max, and on the TK22 is 650 on high. The TN12 photos will be on the bottom of each set (and yes, I know I need to finish mowing my lawn lol).

These first shots were taken at a distance of about 25 feet.

Both on low (TN12 - 20 lumens, TK22 - 7 lumens):

DSCN0033_zpsi9n4k29r.jpgDSCN0034_zpsziyfhr0e.jpg

On these you can really see the difference in tint between the cool white (top) and neutral white (bottom), with the latter being much truer to the actual color of the tree.

These next shots were taken on the highest setting for each light (TN12 - 1050 lumens, TK22 - 650 lumens).

DSCN0035_zpsv8lppcfj.jpg

DSCN0032_zpst8igsimo.jpg

I just realized looking at the photos that I aimed each light at a different part of the tree so exact comparisons are harder :( However, you'll notice right off the bat that you don't see much difference in brightness or color of the tree at the highest settings in these shots. I think it may have more to do with the closeness of the tree and/or the automatic camera settings than the lights themselves (if you look closely, you can see that the jasmine in the background is much greener in the bottom (TN12) shot.

The last shots are again at max/high power, and are of a shed about 30-35 yards away. You'll notice the TK22 throws a little better because its larger head gives it more spot, whereas the TN12 is a bit more floody. You can also really see the color difference in the led tints (the shed is a pretty basic brown color, and you can see the color difference in the grass - or weeds :unsure: - as the case may be):

DSCN0036_zpsmsieyo9t.jpg

DSCN0037_zpsorpzyblm.jpg

Oh yeah, I bumped the tripod before the bottom shot, so again they're not exactly the same shot (hey, it was dark out there).

So anyways, these again were my first attempts at beam shots, so I hope they were somewhat useful, or at least interesting for you guys...and with this experience under my belt, maybe the next time won't be so bad lol.

Actually, I think these are pretty cool beam shots, Mel.  Good job, man!  I only wish I had a yard that big, to shoot some of my stuff.  Southern California is not famous for large, spacious back yards lol. 

• Mel R. likes this

#33 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

Actually, I think these are pretty cool beam shots, Mel.  Good job, man!  I only wish I had a yard that big, to shoot some of my stuff.  Southern California is not famous for large, spacious back yards lol. 

Thanks David, I appreciate that. I thought the first (on low) were pretty cool for both the color difference, as well as how just the one spot on the tree was lit, with darkness everywhere else. I'll have to keep playing with the camera to see if I can find the most optimal settings.

As for the yard...it's about 2 acres of very sandy Texas "coastal" soil, that grows mainly weeds and sand burrs despite a great deal of effort (and sod) to correct it. You can have it lol.

• Marc and David Quevedo like this

#34 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

Only four???  You better step it up if your ThruNites are to compete with your Fenix collection!

Okay - one step closer lol. 

IMG_6913a.jpg

Left to Right:

1. T10 twisty (cool white)

2. T20 2014 Edition twisty/clicky (neutral white)

3. T10 2014 Edition twisty/clicky (neutral white)

4. TN30 (cool white)

5. Catapult V3 (cool white)

The T20 (neutral - second from the left) is the newest one.  I'm running it on a 16340 battery. 

• Mikey Bautista and Mel R. like this

#35 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

I have one complaint so far about my Thrunite, and it's the pocket clip. I just don't trust it. I think I'm going to add a paracord accent to it and just pocket it.

I do however like that I can reverse it and stick it on the brim of my hat if need be.
  • Mel R. and David Quevedo like this

#36 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

I have one complaint so far about my Thrunite, and it's the pocket clip. I just don't trust it. I think I'm going to add a paracord accent to it and just pocket it.

I do however like that I can reverse it and stick it on the brim of my hat if need be.

I hear you, on that.  I don't trust pocket clips much, myself - no matter what clip it is.  I prefer holster carry; but that's not feasible, at work, so...

Reversible clips are very handy. It's too bad most lights don't have them. 

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#37 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

I LOVE the reverse clip option. Most of the time when I could use some hands free light, I don't have the option, and I don't see a logical way to integrate a head lamp into my system. I don't need one periodically enough anyways.

I love pocket clips, but it's not even close to being sturdy enough. Tiny enough to just toss in the pocket, which I do, but I'm gonna grab some paracord to make it easier to pull out.
  • Mel R. and David Quevedo like this

#38 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:27 PM

I LOVE the reverse clip option. Most of the time when I could use some hands free light, I don't have the option, and I don't see a logical way to integrate a head lamp into my system. I don't need one periodically enough anyways.

I love pocket clips, but it's not even close to being sturdy enough. Tiny enough to just toss in the pocket, which I do, but I'm gonna grab some paracord to make it easier to pull out.

I used to feel the same way about headlamps, until I finally broke down and purchased one.  They are invaluable.  As soon as I figure out what kind of plastic or nyon case to get for my HP25, it's going in the backpack as regular EDC.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#39 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

I've bookmarked a Petzl to buy when I get biking again.

#40 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

My ThruNite T10T arrived today. My immediate opinions reflect Mikey's for the most part, especially concerning the machining quality, fit and finish, etc.

I was a bit disappointed, however, with the button. Turning the light on and off is nice and crisp, but I do not like the slight initial mushiness of the button and the small amount of wiggle that it has. 

I was also surprised by how heavy it is. As Mikey mentioned, the light is much smaller than it looks in pictures, and I expected it to be lightweight because of the titanium body. Without a battery, the body isn't particularly hefty, I just expected it to be lighter. I guess I forgot that AA batteries are significantly heavier than AAAs, and the featherweight Streamlight Microstream that I have been carrying may not be the best comparison for weight.

Out of the box, the clip seems decent. It has good tension and seems to work just fine. My only issue with the clip is that it sits just a hair higher than the tail of the light, making it wobbly when standing on the end. I expect it wouldn't be too difficult to file the clip down so this is no longer an issue.

I am really impressed with the neutral white LED and the 169 lumen max output from such a small, and relatively affordable light.

So far, I am impressed and happy with this light overall. I think it will become my usual EDC light and the Microstream will probably see less and less pocket time. 

• Mikey Bautista likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users