Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Self made front pocket wallet - Peter H

Wallet Leather Front pocket Edc EDC Skeletool Leatherman Streamlight Microstream

20 replies to this topic

#1 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

I made a custom leather front pocket wallet to carry my favorite gear.
  • Nadezgda ATor likes this

#2 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

Here's the wallet with gear loaded. I patterned the curved bottom shape after a front pocket holster

Attached Files

• Marc and TK like this

#3 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Contents removed

Attached Files

#4 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Backside

Attached Files

#5 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

Another view. I made several different iterations. I've carried this one for about a year. It's made from a furniture leather sample and apolhstery thread

Attached Files

#6 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

I dig it. Great job.

#7 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

That is just very very clever and cool.... and to put this politely...going to "inspire" me. I like the pocket holster concept applied to the pocket gear kit.

• Marc likes this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#8 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

Right on Murray. Share pics!

#9 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Will do. I may get some bench time tomorrow for a prototype. I have be mussing on how to get handle on a pocket full of change,  keys (or move them to some containment on a belt - don't like the Schneider building super key dangle approach in my workplace) my knife which I don't like clipping as it gets in the way when reaching into the pocket they way my pants and pockets are cut... and perhaps receipts which all go in the front left pocket.... and perhaps a light as my next addition and your pocket holster approach is brilliant.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#10 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

Peter-- Nicely done!  I am similarly inspired.  I've made a couple of front-pocket wallets, and you just gave me a couple of ideas for a new design.

Murray-- When you're making holsters out of tooling leather, how do you get the leather to conform to the contours of the objects you're carrying?

#11 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:54 PM

Leather is surprisingly malleable when wet. There are different approaches but here is what works for me. In lukewarm water (you could add literally a drop of liquid dish soap) then place the piece to be molded in the water an leave it there until it stops bubbling (usually a 1-10 minute depending how thick it is). Then remove it an let it drip excess off and give it a quick wipe with a clean cloth. Some folks place it in a plastic bag and seal it for up to 12 hours to "case" it but I have never had to do this with the size of pieces I work with and thicknesses. I would suggest you clip your nails, remove your rings to avoid marring the leather when working on it. Leather can actually take on the consistency of modeling clay when well cased or soaked. The best tool for shaping the leather over the items is the thumbs, However you can use things like the end of a fat sharpy, wooden spoons or clay modelling tools. If you go on Youtube and search for Leodis Leather and friction sheath (he has many but this is best fro molding over EDC type items) you can watch him work a piece to make a friction sheath like I have on my site. Big trick is don't be afraid to push it around, take more than one run at it and practice practice practice. work on a piece of plywood or pine and have a stapler on hand to help in the work down as you go. Leodis demonstrates this well. Also you can go on Leatherworker.net and check out the "How do I do this" forum as the topic comes up all the time. Lots of good tips and experience there. Go for it and lets see what you come up with.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#12 RobMongoose

RobMongoose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:20 AM

Very nice. I could do with something like this. Is there anything like this out there to buy? Most of my limited "free" time tends to get poured into my money pit of a motorcycle, and I can't see the wife being too pleased with another project about lying around the place! That's my excuse anyway. Nice one to those with skills to fabricate this themselves!!

#13 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Leather is surprisingly malleable when wet. There are different approaches but here is what works for me. In lukewarm water (you could add literally a drop of liquid dish soap) then place the piece to be molded in the water an leave it there until it stops bubbling (usually a 1-10 minute depending how thick it is). Then remove it an let it drip excess off and give it a quick wipe with a clean cloth. Some folks place it in a plastic bag and seal it for up to 12 hours to "case" it but I have never had to do this with the size of pieces I work with and thicknesses. I would suggest you clip your nails, remove your rings to avoid marring the leather when working on it. Leather can actually take on the consistency of modeling clay when well cased or soaked. The best tool for shaping the leather over the items is the thumbs, However you can use things like the end of a fat sharpy, wooden spoons or clay modelling tools. If you go on Youtube and search for Leodis Leather and friction sheath (he has many but this is best fro molding over EDC type items) you can watch him work a piece to make a friction sheath like I have on my site. Big trick is don't be afraid to push it around, take more than one run at it and practice practice practice. work on a piece of plywood or pine and have a stapler on hand to help in the work down as you go. Leodis demonstrates this well. Also you can go on Leatherworker.net and check out the "How do I do this" forum as the topic comes up all the time. Lots of good tips and experience there. Go for it and lets see what you come up with.

Thanks much!  I'll give that a shot and post pix when I get it done.

Very nice. I could do with something like this. Is there anything like this out there to buy? Most of my limited "free" time tends to get poured into my money pit of a motorcycle, and I can't see the wife being too pleased with another project about lying around the place! That's my excuse anyway. Nice one to those with skills to fabricate this themselves!!

I haven't personally seen anything readily available, but Murray Oliver, the gentleman posting above, does custom leather work and would likely give you a quote for such a thing.  Check out his website and drop him a line.

• RobMongoose likes this

#14 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Hey guys here are some old EDC screenshots that inspired mine

Attached Files

• Marc likes this

#15 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

Inspiring indeed. I cant stop thinking about a pocket holster design and now just need time to get to the bench and try one.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#16 Ben Flitney

Ben Flitney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:59 PM

That is cool....good job.

#17 Tiago Montemor

Tiago Montemor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Very cool construction!

~Fueled by Moonlight, Forged by the Sea~

http://halfmoonleather.com

instagram:  @halfmoonleather

info@halfmoonleather.com

#18 TK

TK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

That's an awesome design and put together well looks great man!
  • Stupendous Walrus likes this

#19 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:49 AM

Functional design. Easily collect edc stuff!

#20 Dmytro

Dmytro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:28 AM

Nice job! ))

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wallet, Leather, Front pocket, Edc, EDC, Skeletool, Leatherman, Streamlight, Microstream

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users