25 replies to this topic

#21 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:56 AM

When I was going through London Gatwick every week I knew which machines would react to my belt and which wouldn't. I mentioned this to one of the staff who confirmed that they were set differently.

At Amsterdam Schiphol they now have full-body scanners that require you to take everything out of your pockets; a piece of paper, or even a patch of sweat, will earn you a pat-down. Of course, taking everything out and putting it back takes even more time, then there are the people who think they only have to take metal out …..

#22 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

<rant>
I hate spinners:

• they don't stay in one place (they are a nightmare if unloading a car on a slope)
  • people walk with them at their side, taking up more space than when pulling a two-wheeler behind them, and more slowly too which makes airports more congested*
  • those wheels are just asking to get snagged on something (and baggage handlers don't take prisoners)

* during holiday periods I give myself extra time to get through airports due to the number of "amateur" travellers taking ages at security checks and wandering slowly about trying to figure out where they should be.
</rant>

Agreed on all points.....

#23 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

Final update:

After hemming and hawing over this for way longer than this particular purchase deserved I bought an ultra cheap carry-on spinner off ebay.  

I agree with the spinners being annoying with the way most people roll them, which is why I always pull mine behind me like a normal rolling bag when walking through the airport. However, my last bag was a spinner and the wheel was what got knocked off and destroyed the bag, so you have a fair point there.  If my new $30 bag's wheels eat it in baggage claim I'll probably go back to a regular rolling bag.  I do like the extra maneuverability of the spinners though. 

#24 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

If my new $30 bag's wheels eat it in baggage claim I'll probably go back to a regular rolling bag.

$30!!! Pretty sure that you will be buying a regular rolling bag in the fairly near future.

A word of warning: regular rollers are fast disappearing from shops so you might want to skip straight to buying one whilst you still can.

#25 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

$30!!! Pretty sure that you will be buying a regular rolling bag in the fairly near future.

A word of warning: regular rollers are fast disappearing from shops so you might want to skip straight to buying one whilst you still can.

$30 is super cheap, but I had a $20 bag before this that lasted for years and multiple baggage handling adventures.  We'll see how she goes!

#26 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

$30 is super cheap, but I had a $20 bag before this that lasted for years and multiple baggage handling adventures.  We'll see how she goes!

May the supreme being of your choice protect your bag and all who travel in her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users