25 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

My last carryon spinner suitcase died a gnarly death by rough handling on my last trip.  I need a new case, but I'm torn about investing in a nicer one. I feel certain it will be as punished by baggage handlers as my last one, so I'm afraid to spring for anything too pricey. 

Most of my business travel tends in the 3-5 day range. I can get by in a small carryon size, but I'm tending to go bigger and check my bag since my company is footing the bill anyway. Hence, the concern about breaking a nicer bag.

Any recommendations?

#2 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

What's your budget?

I've long lusted after this: http://www.crumpler.com/au/luggage

#3 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:04 PM

I was digging this kickstarter, now at pre-order stage: http://trunkster.co/products/trunkster

And this ebags hardside bag: http://www.ebags.com...ductid=10287884

If I go cheap, I'd like to keep it sub $75, if I spring for the nice stuff, probably $200ish?  I don't know.  I'm such a cheapskate and I've had so many bags trashed in baggage handling.

#4 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:02 PM

I haven't traveled in about three years; but I am definitely interested in what people will be recommending, for luggage.  I've been using this Ricardo expandable luggage, since 2000 (Picked it up at Ross), and it seems to have held up okay; but I'd like something more room, and lighter, without breaking the bank.

Both of the pieces (that Heather mentioned) look pretty intriguing.  That one with built-in (removable) GPS and a power bank?  Very cool. 

#5 Bard

Bard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:53 AM

I just got this one for my daughter: http://www.epictrave...=1182&height=75

Roomy, rugged and light. But since I bought it in a shop in Sweden I paid only about a third of the price quoted on the US site.

#6 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

I was digging this kickstarter, now at pre-order stage: http://trunkster.co/products/trunkster

And this ebags hardside bag: http://www.ebags.com...ductid=10287884

If I go cheap, I'd like to keep it sub $75, if I spring for the nice stuff, probably $200ish? I don't know. I'm such a cheapskate and I've had so many bags trashed in baggage handling.

Either of these are great. Don't spend more than $200. Take this from someone who works in the airline industry and actually see the punishment these bags go.through I don't understand how people spend so much money on something that could just get destroyed. I guess I'm cheap too, but it boggles my mind when people spend so much and are so surprised when it gets damaged.

#7 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

Either of these are great. Don't spend more than $200. Take this from someone who works in the airline industry and actually see the punishment these bags go.through I don't understand how people spend so much money on something that could just get destroyed. I guess I'm cheap too, but it boggles my mind when people spend so much and are so surprised when it gets damaged.

Yup. Spending a ton of dough to pack your rags in and turn it over to people to toss it around is nuts. My sister in law bought a $700 tumi, and before a year was up, they managed to break the handle and destroy a wheel on it. :D Soft sided luggage for me. Try as they might, they haven't managed to tear up my 10 year old Samsonite. But to be honest, they pale in comparison to what I have done to it on dive trips. $150 will buy you a good, durable bag.

• big Easy and Vilde Moland like this

#8 Arnie

Arnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

For full size luggage (spinner cases), we bought good quality Samsonite (JC Penney's) several years ago. We have used them on many trips over the last 7-8 years and they are still as good as new. We paid about $600 total for the four pieces (Large, Medium and two Small). They were well worth it and much better than the cheaper American Tourister line that fell apart after a year or two.

#9 Arnie

Arnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

For carry-on only travel, I like the Tom Bihn stuff but that can be a bit pricey. I have the Aeronaut 45 that I used successfully for a 7 day trip.

#10 Vilde Moland

Vilde Moland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

I would recomend the "softer" ones from Samsonite. I've had mine for 6 years now, and It's still working perfectly. I use it a lot for worktrips.

#11 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

I try to stick to carry on myself, and still thinking about spending what I know is too much on a really good one. Unless I really have to I would never check in my bag but from the stories I hear the US airlines are much stricter on carry on size. I find unless someone notices mine specifically I can get away with a pretty big one.

TravelPro seems to be a brand favoured by some people I know, without going too crazy expensive.

#12 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:24 AM

One of these....http://www.bhphotovi...t/PELGBA27*/N/0

If they manage to destroy that perhaps its time to start driving everywhere

• Dom, David Quevedo and big Easy like this

#13 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

One of these....http://www.bhphotovi...t/PELGBA27*/N/0

If they manage to destroy that perhaps its time to start driving everywhere

That's a pretty amazing-looking case. The only a pelican cases I own are the 1010 micro cases I use for my 18650 batteries, when I travel. Excellent cases. Indestructible!

#14 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

I am a huge fan of the Patagonia Transport MLC 45L bag: http://www.patagonia...iters?p=48109-0

MLC=Maximum Legal Carryon

It's robust enough to be checked too.  I've used it for three week trips for work and leisure and I love the bag.  It's worth the price.

#15 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

I travel for business most weeks, usually by train or plane and am typically away for 2-3 nights.

For the last five years or so I have been using a Tumi Alpha carry-on (an earlier version of this). Although I usually manage with carry-on only this has been checked in quite a few times and is still in good condition. It wasn't cheap but I expect to last for many years to come.

If you are likely to be travelling outside the US note that this is (just) within the maximum size for cabin luggage set by IATA, which is less than US carriers allow but bigger than some European airlines permit.

#16 T Christopher Cox

T Christopher Cox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

I invested in the Trunkster. Hope it turns out as great as I think it will.

Traveled for years with Land's End duffles. They've been to Africa and back, the BVI's, Europe, everywhere. I pack my kids' stuff in them now... . I carry a leather and twill old-fashioned thing on-board, but I wanted something hardsided, hence the Trunkster leap of faith.

#17 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

<rant>

I hate spinners:

• they don't stay in one place (they are a nightmare if unloading a car on a slope)
  • people walk with them at their side, taking up more space than when pulling a two-wheeler behind them, and more slowly too which makes airports more congested*
  • those wheels are just asking to get snagged on something (and baggage handlers don't take prisoners)

* during holiday periods I give myself extra time to get through airports due to the number of "amateur" travellers taking ages at security checks and wandering slowly about trying to figure out where they should be.

</rant>

#18 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

<rant>

I hate spinners:

• they don't stay in one place (they are a nightmare if unloading a car on a slope)
  • people walk with them at their side, taking up more space than when pulling a two-wheeler behind them, and more slowly too which makes airports more congested*
  • those wheels are just asking to get snagged on something (and baggage handlers don't take prisoners)

* during holiday periods I give myself extra time to get through airports due to the number of "amateur" travellers taking ages at security checks and wandering slowly about trying to figure out where they should be.

</rant>

Haha, I'm with you on all of that

#19 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

<rant>
I hate spinners:

</rant>

Haha hate newbs ;)

#20 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

<rant>

I hate spinners:

</rant>

After a few years as a FIFO (fly in fly out) worker i can say there is nothing worse than crap travelers.

Some tips when flying domestic in Australia

• Do not take off your shoes unless they have metal in them...if you really feel the need to...dont take them off in the line right before the detector
  • Take your laptop and tablet out of your bag well before hand
  • Put your keys, phone, wallet and boarding pass into your bag...spending an eternity refilling your pockets in front of everyone is the worst
  • If you cant use the self check in machine...dont...go to a desk instead
  • If you stand hard up against the luggage belt and i see my bag i will barge you out of the way and most likely (depending on mood) belt you with it "accidently" to prove a point. Stand back from the bloody belt. If you see your bag go and grab it...but dont stand there stationary blocking everyone else.

• Dom and T Shrapnel-Carruthers like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users