3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, it's sharp now. I'm just looking for"crazy sharp". Using a stone. Course side/fine side. Just wanting to hone my skill. Suggestions?

#2 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:28 AM

I’m sure someone will chime in eventually with some input but that being said , I’ll tell you my thoughts. Hand sharpening is awesome but definitely a skill that takes a ton of practice to get just right. You will never IMO achieve the ultimate edge sharpening with a course/fine hand stone. A guided sharpening system is what I use. Reason being is it takes the human element out of sharpening which in turn will give you a better result. Also using a series of stones instead of a simple two sided stone will give you much better results. I use the KME system and absolutely love it. If you get crazy and go with there micron set, you will have a edge people drool over.

#3 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

I looked at the KME and thought it was poorly made - too much play in the settings. I went for the EdgePro Pro Gen 4 and found I could achieve a mirror polish and super scary edge. However you have to hold the blade carefully on the stand which is one thing I wasn't too impressed with. So, after careful examination, I bought the Wicked Edge top of the line monster. Now I can get a mirror polished scalpel sharp  blade really easily. It's expensive - but when you have a number of expensive blades then you don't want to ruin them. The Wicked Edge forum is really handy talking to other users on how to get the best edge possible as well.

#4 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

I’m interested where you found the play in the KME? My brother has the a really nice wicked edge system and the only difference we see between sharpening on each system is the amount of time it takes. The wicked edge is faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users