20 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

Here you can see the number of things I'm carrying on my keychain (the Keybar), and I feel like it might be getting a bit overweight:

f66cXQBl.png

All saddled up:

RykQsx6l.jpg

I'm considering moving the Dime to my under-construction Pelican 1010 PSK, as that seems to be adding most of the weight and it's largely redundant with the Skeletool CX (except for the tweezers, but as you can see I have a pair of Bob's on the keychain for that).

#2 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

If you use all of it, then it isn't excessive. Also, if those items just make you happy, I would say that is more than enough reason to carry them.

That being said, if your keychain is getting too large or heavy to carry comfortably, I think it would be possible to eliminate some of the redundant items depending on what you use the most. Personally, I don't carry more than one flashlight at a time, and I think having the Thrunite T10 eliminates the need for a second light on your keychain. I also would not carry more than one multitool in my own system. If a multitool does not have all the functions I need, I would find one that does rather than adding a second. It looks like you are carrying several USB drives. Consider reducing that to only one or two depending on your needs and use. One last recommendation I have is to change your EDC each day based on what you expect you will need the most that day. For me, many of my EDC items are permanent, but I choose which multitool (large with more tools or small and lightweight) I carry for the day based on what I expect I will need. Same with which flashlight I choose to carry and which knives I choose.

If you find that you do need all of these items daily, you might look at integrating some sort of bag or backpack to help carry everything. I think there are several topics discussing EDC bags that you might find interesting.

• Marc, Dave M, big Easy and 1 other like this

#3 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

If you use all of it, then it isn't excessive. Also, if those items just make you happy, I would say that is more than enough reason to carry them.

That being said, if your keychain is getting too large or heavy to carry comfortably, I think it would be possible to eliminate some of the redundant items depending on what you use the most. Personally, I don't carry more than one flashlight at a time, and I think having the Thrunite T10 eliminates the need for a second light on your keychain. I also would not carry more than one multitool in my own system. If a multitool does not have all the functions I need, I would find one that does rather than adding a second. It looks like you are carrying several USB drives. Consider reducing that to only one or two depending on your needs and use. One last recommendation I have is to change your EDC each day based on what you expect you will need the most that day. For me, many of my EDC items are permanent, but I choose which multitool (large with more tools or small and lightweight) I carry for the day based on what I expect I will need. Same with which flashlight I choose to carry and which knives I choose.

If you find that you do need all of these items daily, you might look at integrating some sort of bag or backpack to help carry everything. I think there are several topics discussing EDC bags that you might find interesting.

Thinking about it some more, I am starting to think that carrying the Nitecore and the Gerber on my keychain are probably a bit more redundant than I need for everyday use. Having all this stuff does make me quite happy, but it is a little cumbersome to shove everything back into my pocket (taking it out is easy because I clip the Keybar on the inside of my pocket), which is what prompted me thinking things through a little more.

I probably should've explained, those two extra USB drives are actually bootable live disks of Tails Linux and Kali Linux (the former for doing secret squirrel things and the latter for penetration testing at work). The thing sticking out of the Keybar is a Yubikey (multi-factor authentication device).

I'd say my absolute essentials on the keychain are the Keybar, the USB to Lightning NomadKey, my dogtag, and some sort of prybar (whether it's the DoohiKey that's on there now or a Gerber Shard, etc.) The Nitecore and the Gerber Dime are probably something I can put on a separate split-ring or a paracord zipper pull inside of my bag.

Thanks for all the advice! Definitely gives me some thing to think about.

• Dave M and Gusto like this

#4 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 726 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

Ahh, a pen testing carer, a dream I never was smart enough to pursue. I still have stacks on stacks of programming/hacking/CISSP books that I never got around to studying. :(

That said, we are almost exactly on the same wavelength as far as gear goes -- you're using gear that I'm currently using or I've considered or used in the past, from the DF2 (my current carry is the awesome ZDP-189 version with the H1 as an outdoor backup), to the Silicon Power drives, even the T10 (I'm using the Ti version in NW). The Tube is one thing I've had on my wishlist for a long time.

Given that, you may agree with some replacements that can consolidate a few of your pieces.

• A Victorinox Manager could remove the need for separate tools for tweezers, screwdriver, scissors, cap lifter, and pen. I use the Midnite version with a light instead of tweezers, which means I don't have to get the Tube either.
  • The key form factor is my favorite for USB drives, but if you're stringing multiple distros together, maybe something smaller would be better?

The rest of it -- I agree in that they look to be essentials so you may just need a light pack to carry them all. :)

• Tony Burns likes this

#5 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

Ahh, a pen testing carer, a dream I never was smart enough to pursue. I still have stacks on stacks of programming/hacking/CISSP books that I never got around to studying. :(

That said, we are almost exactly on the same wavelength as far as gear goes -- you're using gear that I'm currently using or I've considered or used in the past, from the DF2 (my current curry is the awesome ZDP-189 version with the H1 as an outdoor backup), to the Silicon Power drives, even the T10 (I'm using the Ti version in NW). The Tube is one thing I've had on my wishlist for a long time.

Given that, you may agree with some replacements that can consolidate a few of your pieces.

• A Victorinox Manager could remove the need for separate tools for tweezers, screwdriver, scissors, cap lifter, and pen. I use the Midnite version with a light instead of tweezers, which means I don't have to get the Tube either.
  • The key form factor is my favorite for USB drives, but if you're stringing multiple distros together, maybe something smaller would be better?

The rest of it -- I agree in that they look to be essentials so you may just need a light pack to carry them all. :)

Sadly not a career for me either, but since I'm our all-in-one operations engineer at my company I thought it would be prudent for me to get into it a bit on the side :) It's fascinating stuff once you really dig in! Those SanDisk drives look like they'd be a great fit for doing redundant backups of all my keys and certs. I do love the SP drives for the key form-factor, and they go pretty nicely with my aesthetic as well.

I've been looking at all of the SAK's and the Manager has definitely come up a few times, my only problem seems to be that there's so many variants and I don't think I've completely nailed down the exact combo of tools that I think I'll need yet if I get a SAK. I'm keeping tabs though and I'll probably grab one in a couple weeks to start trying them out. I'm assuming they're probably a lot lighter than the Dime?

I do love my T10, but I'm very much looking forward to playing with the ZebraLight SC52 I have on the way as well :)

#6 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

I still see some real estate on that key ring, so no, not excessive. :D

Save some weight and ditch the Gerber. It's just not needed.

#7 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 726 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:09 AM

Sadly not a career for me either, but since I'm our all-in-one operations engineer at my company I thought it would be prudent for me to get into it a bit on the side :) It's fascinating stuff once you really dig in! Those SanDisk drives look like they'd be a great fit for doing redundant backups of all my keys and certs. I do love the SP drives for the key form-factor, and they go pretty nicely with my aesthetic as well.

I've been looking at all of the SAK's and the Manager has definitely come up a few times, my only problem seems to be that there's so many variants and I don't think I've completely nailed down the exact combo of tools that I think I'll need yet if I get a SAK. I'm keeping tabs though and I'll probably grab one in a couple weeks to start trying them out. I'm assuming they're probably a lot lighter than the Dime?

I do love my T10, but I'm very much looking forward to playing with the ZebraLight SC52 I have on the way as well :)

As Walrus said, the Dime's a bit much -- you can do better with a Style CS so it matches your Skeletool if you need harder tools than what's on the SAK.

I've had my share of changing my mind over the SAKs, but the core of the similar ones boil down to the following:

Midnite Manager: knife, light, pen, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors  B)

Manager: knife, light, pen tweezers, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors

Signature Lite: knife, light, pen, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors

I'm myself am going to replace my Midnite Manager with the Signature Lite as well just so I have a silver aesthetic to go with the rest of my carry, and to have a slightly thinner keychain SAK as well. :)

tAdMtSX.jpg

• Tony Burns likes this

#8 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

As Walrus said, the Dime's a bit much -- you can do better with a Style CS so it matches your Skeletool if you need harder tools than what's on the SAK.

I've had my share of changing my mind over the SAKs, but the core of the similar ones boil down to the following:

Midnite Manager: knife, light, pen, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors  B)

Manager: knife, light, pen tweezers, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors

Signature Lite: knife, light, pen, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors

I'm myself am going to replace my Midnite Manager with the Signature Lite as well just so I have a silver aesthetic to go with the rest of my carry, and to have a slightly thinner keychain SAK as well. :)

tAdMtSX.jpg

One question about these, do you really end up using the pen ever? I feel like it would be a thing of very last resort (for me anyway). And if not.. I've been trying to find whatever the SAK is that has knife, light, pen, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors if that exists.

#9 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

So here is the new configuration with my existing tools:

JEgzKCnh.jpg

#1 will go with me at all times in my pocket, this is where I'm still considering all the advice/suggestions you guys have given me so far about a Leatherman Style or a SAK. I'd also like to get another one of those nice Silicon Power USB drives to go on here.

#2 is a backup toolset that I'll keep in my EDC bag.

#3 is the 'electronics' set that stays in my bag and comes out to sit on my desk when I'm in the office, but there's really no need to carry it around if I'm not also within reach of my EDC bag.

Does anyone have a side-by-side picture of a Leatherman Style CS/Gerber Dime/SAK? I'd love to see how they all compare size-wise next to each other.

#10 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

Oh also, improvements on this that I'd love to hear your thoughts on.. I think it'd be nice to have quick-release functionality for the Shard, the NomadKey, maybe my car key, all of the USB things on the electronics set, and for the Dime and the Tube on the secondary tool set. Any suggestions on what to use for those? I've been looking at McGizmos and Tec Python clips so far.

#11 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 726 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

One question about these, do you really end up using the pen ever? I feel like it would be a thing of very last resort (for me anyway). And if not.. I've been trying to find whatever the SAK is that has knife, light, pen, Philips driver/cap lifter, scissors if that exists.

The pen on my SAK has served me more than any other pen I've ever owned, just from the sheer number of times I'm away from my bag and wasn't already carrying a pen. Especially evident in quick errands like trips to the grocery or bank and I am rushing out the door. One pro tip that made me use it even more, I only found out about this grip after years of owning mine, and it has improved my use of it by 1000%:

Pr5Wtqs.jpg

• Tony Burns likes this

#12 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

The pen on my SAK has served me more than any other pen I've ever owned, just from the sheer number of times I'm away from my bag and wasn't already carrying a pen. Especially evident in quick errands like trips to the grocery or bank and I am rushing out the door. One pro tip that made me use it even more, I only found out about this grip after years of owning mine, and it has improved my use of it by 1000%:

Pr5Wtqs.jpg

That's good to know! I guess there's no harm in grabbing one of these to try it out :) Also I did not even realize until reading it again that you had already shown me which one didn't have a pen haha

#13 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 726 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

Oh also, improvements on this that I'd love to hear your thoughts on.. I think it'd be nice to have quick-release functionality for the Shard, the NomadKey, maybe my car key, all of the USB things on the electronics set, and for the Dime and the Tube on the secondary tool set. Any suggestions on what to use for those? I've been looking at McGizmos and Tec Python clips so far.

One of the better quick-release systems out there, as seen on the Prometheus Beta-QR.

#14 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

One of the better quick-release systems out there, as seen on the Prometheus Beta-QR.

Oh I would definitely love some of those. I'd need to decide which one of my items deserved it the most since they're $25 a pop though ;)

#15 luke

luke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

u could do a credit card tool those are sweet

#16 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

u could do a credit card tool those are sweet

I carry a 11 in 1 credit card tool and have used it a few times. worth the change for a JIC tool.

#17 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

As stated above, if these are things you find yourself using or needing daily, then it's never excessive. I will say that you'll probably get down to a few core items in short order.

#18 Airth

Airth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

You could finagle a few things *into* your Keybar; i.e. your tweezers and DoohicKey.  Pretty much anything flat and roughly key-sized will integrate just fine with the right spacers.

#19 Old Army Vet

Old Army Vet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Mine is starting to get a little heavy so the knife will probably go since I carry another anyway.

G1VTaHCl.jpg?1

#20 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

well when I don't belt carry or expect to find any tough job or task I replace my SAK and MT for this keychain set,

CAM01648_zpskovxi2ji.jpg

saves weight and space, and works for me! Everyone's needs and preferences shape their keychain, I like yours! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users