Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo

Is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you glad to see me?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

I am considering adding a flash light to my EDC but..... where/how do most people carry them if not as part of a an obvious work/profession related kit?
  • Kennethsimb likes this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#2 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

I work in an classical office environment but I also EDC a flashlight. I keep it in the small pocket of my jeans so hardly anybody notices it.

#3 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Office/cubicle setting at work, and carry a Thrunite TI3 (1xAAA) in my front right pocket, along with a Leatherman Squirt P4 (mini-)multitool.

#4 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

I work in an classical office environment but I also EDC a flashlight. I keep it in the small pocket of my jeans so hardly anybody notices it.

What make/model do you carry?

Marc the Thrunite looks very reasonable.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#5 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

It is, Murray.  And at 120 lumens on max, it throws a decent amount of light for a tiny little light.

#6 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

Ok that's a good flash/bang for the buck...and cant help but think about the Monty Python skit about lupins.... to paraphrase "Your Lumens or your wife!".. which also reminds me of a signature line from the other forum I am on.... " I just got a new airgun for my wife... best trade I ever made." mind you I love my wife more than my stuff but the word play is funny.

Now I need to resist buying a Thrunite until I actually have the money available..... curse this forum and all on it.

Any other suggestions on small form factor lights? or how to carry in the "office" or civilian type environment?

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#7 Arnold Sese

Arnold Sese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I work in an IT office environment and have a Fenix E05SSvn clipped to a TEC P7 clip in left front pocket, far left.

In the summer I am wearing cargo pants to work and clip my EDC, currently a Sunwayman V11Rvn, in large front left cargo pocket, far right.

In the winter wearing jeans I keep it clipped in front left pocket also far right.

I switch between the V11Rvn and a Fenix PD22vn for my EDC, may introduce the Nitecore EA11 into that rotation. Back in the day before picking up the Sunwayman and Nitecore I was trying to EDC a Fenix PD35vn while the PD22 was off to Vinh but that did not work well for me, thus I picked up the Sunwayman as a backup to the PD22vn.

• David Quevedo likes this

#8 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

I find it utterly impossible and exasperating to try and carry a flashlight around on my body. I usually keep one near by, and just choose to go pick it up if needed. I keep them in strategic places, like the night stand, kitchen, work shop, vehicle consoles, EDC, get home, and battle bags, but never on my person unless it's a known use item for a task. 

• Lionlax28 likes this

#9 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Most of the time I only have a keychain light on my person (recently got the Nitecore Tube). Like CW said, I keep lights placed around strategically. Wearing a jacket makes it easier to carry a light, whether in pockets or a clip. It can be a bit cumbersome regardless, but with lights getting smaller and more powerful, it's easy to find something that fits the bill.

#10 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

I'm just happy to see you.

I keep a Preon II in my EDC bag, which gets a work out at work. For outside of that, if I know I'm going out and it will be dark before I get back (i.e. ball games), I just toss my single AAA Thrunite in my pocket. Helps me find my way to the car or the bus stop, or the nearest bar. Reversable pocket clip without disassembling the light, so I can clip it onto the brim of my hat for a makeshift though functional headlamp.

#11 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

I keep my Energizer Tactical AA clipped in my left side pocket at work and at home. Due to my 3rd shift patrols, a flashlight is a must at work. Even off work, I usually carry it even during the day. It has really made my life easier in many situations!

#12 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:43 AM

I have also a Thrunite TI3, I think it's a great little light. The price is perfect, and you can use it with standard batteries.

#13 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:09 AM

My carry light is a Nebo CSI Edge 50, which is a good pocket size.  If I need something brighter, I use the Coast G20 or the LED-modded Mini Maglite in my work bag.  The Nebo usually rides in an elastic loop I sewed on to my multi-tool holster for just that purpose.

#14 Ádám Varga

Ádám Varga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

I carry my flashlight in my left cargo pocket, using a pocket clip. Then I have my cellhpone on my left (normal) pocket, in my right pocket I have my Gerber Dime, and right cargo pocket my Spyderco Dragonfly. This is a very even layout, so the tools won't knock to eachother and they wont overlap eachother either.

My EDC flashlight for a while is the Thrunite Ti3 as well. Belive me, you will hardly find better for this size and price. The modes are perfect for my job (cameraman, working 90% in dark places of theatres), and I do not notice it during the day until I need it. Also it is so small that you can easily hold it with teeth for long long minutes, so it's on pair with headlamps in this regards.

If you need an indoor EDC light, definitely go for that.

When I am going outdoor I am taking my Nitecore MH12 with me. I used to EDC that light on my person, but the size was a bit uncomfortable for carrying the whole day. I still have it with me all the time in my bag, in case I need big power (1000 lumens). I also carry it when I go to unsafe places at night, because originally it's a tactical light, extremely powerful for self defense.
I love that I can recharge it with the same power bank that I use for my phone :)

Some other lights that are high-tech, small, comfortable to carry are the Eagletac D25C and the Zebralight SC52. Anyone who considers small powerful EDC flashlight should take them into account.

#15 Aileen Ciriaco

Aileen Ciriaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:37 PM

I carry a Fenix e05 2014 edition hanging on my pants using a nite-ize #1 sbiner and can't imagine doing a day without it, although the Thru nite Ti3 is better in terms of lumen output. AAA flashlights are more than enough if you just use it casually. For now I'm looking at Olight S10R baton (rechargeable battery included with cradle) or the Zebra light Sc52w for upgrade.
  • Mikey Bautista and David Quevedo like this

#16 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

I carry a Fenix e05 2014 edition hanging on my pants using a nite-ize #1 sbiner and can't imagine doing a day without it, although the Thru nite Ti3 is better in terms of lumen output. AAA flashlights are more than enough if you just use it casually. For now I'm looking at Olight S10R baton (rechargeable battery included with cradle) or the Zebra light Sc52w for upgrade.

I'm itching to pick up an SC62W, but I haven't gotten around to taking the plunge, yet..

I have an S20 (the original model), and it works very well (albeit a little bit on the greenish side, tint-wise.  I'm now spoiled for neutral tints like the Nichia 219, etc.).

Please be sure to let us know how the Zebralight ends up working out for you (if you end up getting that one). :D

• Aileen Ciriaco likes this

#17 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

When I pocket carry a flashlight, at work, it's usually an Eagletac P20C2 Mk II; but I always have at least three to five others, in my bag (which is always within reach, at work).

When not at work, I usually EDC these 5, on-person, minimum, and sometimes also bag carry others (as many as half a dozen others, depending on my mood).  I'm fanatical, when it comes to lights.  I like to have as many options as possible (with varying tints, too - the right tool for the job).

IMG_3824%20-%20Todays%20EDC%20-%2004-29-

I don't usually carry that L2N, these days.  I happened to be carrying it that day.

#18 Hugo Luis Costa

Hugo Luis Costa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPortugal, Lisboa

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

I use a streamlight 73001 Nanolight on my keychain and a Nebo Redline 5620 on my EDC Pocket Organizer that is always in my bag.

#19 Aileen Ciriaco

Aileen Ciriaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

I'm itching to pick up an SC62W, but I haven't gotten around to taking the plunge, yet..

I have an S20 (the original model), and it works very well (albeit a little bit on the greenish side, tint-wise. I'm now spoiled for neutral tints like the Nichia 219, etc.).

Please be sure to let us know how the Zebralight ends up working out for you (if you end up getting that one). :D

Will sure do

#20 Aileen Ciriaco

Aileen Ciriaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have an S20 (the original model), and it works very well (albeit a little bit on the greenish side, tint-wise. I'm now spoiled for neutral tints like the Nichia 219, etc.).

Will sure do, :-) will also read more on the nichia emitters, all I know about those are that they are a bit pricey? I'm also looking for quality neutral lights as those are more favored when examining mucus linings and stuff of my patients. Thanks for the idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users