Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

DoohiKey vs Brewzer vs Shard, which do you prefer?

34 replies to this topic

#21 shmevro

shmevro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

I have the DookicKey on my house keys and it seems to be pretty good. The ruler in particulars is a welcome addition.
I like the look of the shard but am a little sceptical of the Phillips end. It seems to big to be useable. Anybody with experience using one able to confirm?

#22 edc-otter

edc-otter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have and carry a Brewzer, but I have handled both the Doohicky and Shard.  I feel the Brewzer is the perfect medium between the two. Enough tools to be useful while remaining slim, tough, and compact.  I"ve used mine a lot and it's held up to the stuff I've thrown at it without missing a beat.  

#23 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

I keep the Shard on my Survival Strap key fob, and find it extremely useful.  

I have yet to use the pry tip but use the Phillips head and flat head regularly, they have been great for quick maintenance on my son's ice hockey helmet.

Just as important, I don't notice it when it is not in use.  The pointed tip has not proven to be a problem as of yet.

#24 Jpa1975

Jpa1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

I'm digging the borus BMT

2016-04-25%2021.11.35_zpsn8j944zd.jpg

#25 John P.

John P.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

Imo:
shard + doohickey
or
shard + brewzer

the doohickey and the brewzer are almost the same to me, but I use the former combo instead of the latter cause of the doohickey's little ruler.

#26 Carlos Victor Herrera

Carlos Victor Herrera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

Confession: I am a sucker for just about any keychain multi tool. and have had several of them rotate on and off my keychain.

I have a Shard and its big brother, the Artifact. I love them both but I have to fly on occasion so the Shard is my go to keychain multi tool.
I use the Shard and a CRKT Viva (the 4" length makes it a more ideal pry bar) on a daily basis. I first thought the Shard was a little gimmicky at first but I soon came to realize I was using it more and more. Now, it is an essential element of my EDC and have extras in case it goes missing.  For its size and versatility, the Shard can't be beat. The Artifact adds to this versatility by adding an Exacto-type blade that folds away safely and securely.

#27 bryan123

bryan123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Shard stays in my drawer because it jabs me in the thigh when pocketed.  Doohickey is attached to a zipper on my backpack.

For a bottle opener I like the Zootility Pocket Monkey that fits in my wallet.  Most frequently the monkey is used for the letter opener since Michelob Ultra has screw tops.

#28 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

I ordered this the other day. I was looking mainly for a small prying tool so I thought this could work.

740981_340x340.jpg

EDC

#29 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

I have a Brewzer specifically for air travel to pair with LM Style PS. I don't use it otherwise. I never have things to pry.

#30 Old Army Vet

Old Army Vet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

I have tried most of them but the Shard keeps coming back to the key chain.

#31 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

I'm a fan of the Boker Vox Pry-Tool But the Griffin Pocket Tool is also very nice, I just don't use a pry bar anywhere near enough to justify buying a the Griffin when I already have the Boker. My first pry bar was a Sharpwerks which although looking great was way too sharp at the edges of the bottle opener to use (think of where your hand would be when prying something) and in general what I believe is a weak design. My wife likes it though and has it on her keychain. :)

prybars.jpg

Shown as keychain carry in an old EDC pic. I keep it in my bag these days.

dump1.jpg

#32 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

For years I used the screwdriver of a swiss army knife or leatherman wave without issue.

I really can't see the point of these mini prybars when most people carry a multitool anyway.

They both have screwdriver bits.

A leatherman's flat blade is pretty strong.

Every single contraption has a bottle opener.

What can be pried with such a small tool? A paint can? A beer bottle? 

#33 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:36 AM

+1 for the Brewzer.

Leatherman do similar but more diverse tools too.

Attached Files

#34 EDCLogan

EDCLogan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

I have become a big fan of the Doohikey. It fits perfectly in my Keybar which makes it easily accessible when I need it. Im not sure about people saying that they never find a use for their Shard or Doohikey. The way I look at it is if you never needed it for anything other than a bottle opener, just get a bottle opener. Sure the extra features are nice, but a waste of money and pocket space if you can never find a use for them. 

#35 John B.

John B.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

The Shard is now my go-to keychain multitool and has seen a few weeks' use. I was looking for something that had a Phillips head driver on it and so far it hasn't let me down. I struggled a bit at first with the bottle opener (actually chipping the glass lip of a bottle when I was first using it) but as long as you can get the bottom tooth under the ridge of the cap it's not an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users