Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo

Finally misplaced my EDC for the last time this week and need a replacement suggestion!

7 replies to this topic

#1 lam xuyen

lam xuyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:55 AM

For the last 5 years, I've been carrying a serrated Kershaw Blur w/ glassbreaker as my EDC around the house and my small farm. I've actually really loved that knife, the size, the grip, the aluminum frame, and especially the assisted open. My only complaint is that it seemed to not hold an edge very long at all (although, I don't have much to compare to, so I could be way off base). I carry it in my back pocket, too, so the pocket clip is a must.

I'm not opposed to getting the same knife again, but I thought you guys might know some good options that I should consider! I'd like to keep it under $100 but that could be fudged if needed.

Thank you!

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1043 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

You can try for harder steels so you keep the edge longer, something like the Spyderco Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189. The surgical edge on mine lasted forever until I ruined the blade (long story), with the drawback of being very, very difficult to sharpen back if you lose its edge. Alternatively, you can opt for utility knives like the Gerber EAB and never worry about sharpening again.

#3 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Spyderco paramilitary 2. Not assisted opening but they are smooth to open so it’s not needed. Solid pocket clip. S30V steel ( unless you get a special run which will have even better steel but more $ ) which is going to be much better then that Kershaw you were running. Made in the USA. It’s one of the most popular edc knives for a reason! Give it a try , you won’t regret it. All that being said , you’re looking at around $120 to own it. I have 3 and use em all!!!

#4 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

How's about a Spyderco Urban for a really uncomplicated  but supremely competent little pocket knife.  If a lock is a must than you can't go far wrong with a Spyderco Delica (small), Endura (large), Sanrenmu 9103 (large), 8104 (small), or an Ontario Rat 1 (big) or 2 (small).  There is a galore of Ganzo/Firebirds to choose from too.

#5 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:04 AM

The edge retention will not improve and likely be less with some of the options you listed. Ganzo shouldn’t even be listed. They make cool stuff, but the steel is terrible.

#6 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

The edge retention will not improve and likely be less with some of the options you listed. Ganzo shouldn’t even be listed. They make cool stuff, but the steel is terrible.

OP doesn't specify which steel his/her Blur had.  If it was 14C28N then the 440C of the Ganzos, the AUS8 or D2 of the RATs and the 12c27 of the Sanrenmu are definitely in the same ball park.  I personally have not found Ganzo steel terrible at all.  Have used 'quite a few', often, over several years, and found some a little thick behind the edge but most have been excellent users that hold their edge more than reasonably for the cost.  Sanrenmu have been even better, as has the VG10 on the Spydercos I've used. My personal edc is a Spyderco in Elmax (which I love).

I've got Benchmades and Bokers, and had Al Mars and Spydercos  that cost 10x as much as a Ganzo or Sanrenmu, and hold their edge longer... But not 10x as long.

I get that OP would like a knife that needs less sharpening but I thought I'd draw the OP's attention to some (imo) good edc choices well within budget.  One could get 4 or more 'Overseas' knives for the price of a Griptilian in 154CM. I believe it's worth thinking about.

​If OP's Blur was in S30V then I'll leave it to others to recommend sub $100 knives with more exotic steels.  

Happy trails

#7 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

Maybe I should take a step back but I’ve personally owned 2 Ganzos ( model that is a knock off of the pm2 ) and a friend had one that was a knock off of a Benchmade, none of which had fair edge retention. However we all use knives in different ways and maybe that’s why I just find them useless for me... s90v seems to be my flavor now but the $ for the higher steels isn’t for everyone either. It’s good to hear you’ve enjoyed your experiences with them though , they do make some nice ( cosmetic speaking ) knives for sure. I also understand the idea of if it’s a cheap knife so it’s worth it, but my time spent sharpening a knife is also valuable. Everyone has there way of thinking and going about things. I’ve always lived with the motto “buy once , cry once” and believe it holds true in most cases ( flashlights not included, don’t get me started there lol ).

#8 Joshua

Joshua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

I recently purchased a Ruike Hussar P121 from Indianaknives.com (free shipping and fast service), and I love it. At about $36 it has one of the best actions I’ve seen. It’s linerlock, 14C28N steel. Just a great knife.
  • Moose likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users