Bombproof aa?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Joe T

Joe T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

Looking for an EDC light that uses AA batteries for under $35. Most important things to me are usable light settings (I personally don’t have much use for sub 1lm firefly modes) as well as a super durable build. I’m not that much of a flashlight junkie (yet!) where I need specific UI or CRI, just a 3 mode, bright, bombproof light! Open to any suggestions

#2 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Lumintop tool AA. I own it and love it. Cheap, can use a alternate battery ( amazing when you do and highly suggest doing so ) , and has a decent pocket clip that can be reversed for use on a hat brim. Check it out!

#3 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1077 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

I still like the ThruNite T10--incidentally, it's available pretty cheap right now. Nice, simple UI (no momentary on though), decent output, and a neutral white option.

#4 Joe T

Joe T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

I’ve had my eye on the thrunite t10. My main question about it is, how usable are the modes? They seem very spaced out

#5 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

You want spaced out settings in my opinion... once you start to get in the higher lumens , it will start to take a higher lumen step up to see a visual difference.

#6 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

How about an Olight S1A Baton:

https://www.olightst...rry/olight-s1a 

Have the copper version myself.  Great lumens and runtime in a package that takes a variety of aa sized power units.

#7 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

Man I’ve been window shopping Olight for a longgg time , the ONLY reason I don’t own one is the lack of a tail click operation. I know they have some and came out with more recently but that AA you suggest would be perfect if it was tail click operation. Even better , a magnetic tail click operation! I know it’s a pipe dream though lol

#8 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationYour Subconscious

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:52 AM

Check out the Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA.

https://www.streamli...x/protac-1l-1aa

#9 Ed

Ed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:15 PM

I'm using a Sofirn SF14 right now and like it very much.  The original light had some issues but they've released V2.0 which fixed the problem.  I like that it will work on a regular AA, rechargeable AA, or 14500 LiIon cell.  

#10 Benjamin red

Benjamin red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

Man. I know they have some and came out with more recently but that AA you suggest would be perfect if it was tail click operation. Even better , a magnetic tail click operation! I know it’s a pipe dream though lol

Well this keeps the light much shorter in length. Also tail click switches are sometimes the first thing to fail, especially with hard use. The ratchet slides on a conductive ring or plate, and the connection from the spring through the ratchet to the plate or ring breaks when tha tail strikes hard enough. But, it does feel nice to use a tail click.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users