ElGiganteJake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

best advice I ever got on shoes/boots:

100$ shoes will last you a year

200$ shoes will last 2 to 3 years

400$ will last a lifetime (with recrafting)

I avoided it forever, but I took the plunge on a pair of Allen Edmonds and within a month bought a second pair (1st pair was used, 2nd pair was a factory second).  Best investment ever.  

Do the same with your boots - get a good pair or redwings/whites/etc.  Your back and feet will love you.  Real leather all the way.

For running shoes I use vibram 5s

#62 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

I recently purchased the 5.11 Pursuit Worker Oxfords (Distressed Brown), and they are the best shoes I have ever owned. 

12324_124_04.jpg

Relatively affordable.

Decently good looking (This is the only pair of shoes I have been complimented on, for what it's worth)

Comfortable (Especially when combined with SmartWool socks)

A "tactical"/sport sole- This was important to me, as I wanted a good, comfortable, low-key EDC shoe, but I still wanted to be able to run/move quickly if needed. Not to mention the sole has incredible traction. The sole also has an uncanny ability to avoid getting debris caught in the treads.

Only downsides:

If you are working/walking in hot weather/direct sunlight, the shoes can get warm. As it is nubuck, it doesn't breathe as well as some other materials. 

There is a velcro patch at the heel of both shoes, 3/4" by 3/4" inches. It comes with a patch bearing the 5.11 logo, but they also include two blank patches if you don't want the logo showing. I would have preferred they left off the velcro patch; I would have preferred blank nubuck, but that's just me.

All in all, my absolute favorite pair of shoes I have owned. I've worn them for one month so far, and they are holding up great.

• Bladerunner337 likes this

#63 chorpie

chorpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:06 AM

I've been wearing Keen Austin shoes forever. I'm on my second pair. I got my first in 2008.  They've gone all over North America and parts of Asia  and taken everything in stride.  I should probably find a new pair soon.

#64 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

I have been looking at a host of options as a lot of my footwear is at the point of needing replacement.

I have been debating a pair of Danners after reading this review  https://gearjunkie.c...600-boot-review   

I am looking for a pair of hardcore boots to replace my hunting boots, but unfortunately I spend the majority of my time in an urban setting so these might do.

#65 louise

louise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

I love the pair of shoes. 

#66 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

I bought a pair of these Merrell Moab slip-on shoes just after Christmas, and like them so much they've hardly been off my feet for a day since. Very comfortable to wear as well as walk a good distance in, tough, easy to slip on and off but secure on the foot, able to cope with a rough(ish) trail as well as urban living, and with a bit of style, they seem to me to be just about the perfect EDC and travel shoes. Any others have their own favourites?

http://www.amazon.co...ttachicon.gif">81OEQQE4mVL._UX575_.jpg

Those seem up my alley, I hate having multiple pairs of shoes, as I dont like to see something not get used. My off work shoes are some Rebel Durango slip ons, then at work I wear a slip on Hytest, but also have a lace up pair of Keens for backup. 

#67 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

I received a pair of Danner 600's a couple of weeks ago http://www.danner.co...5/category/478/ and find them to be extremely comfortable to wear.  The fit was true to size.

I have not had the opportunity to try them in inclement weather yet.  The coldest it has been since I received them was 30 degrees F and my feet were fine.

#68 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

I always alternated between "tactical looking" boots and easier, lightweight shoes. I did not like the solution since I had to mind the weather and activities all the time.

So I set out to find a shoe/boot that was more allround. Which would work fine at a restaurant in the city, keep me dry whole raining and endure a walk in the forest with my dogs.

I found Chippewa Lugged Boot. If I take care of them, they will last me years. If treated correctly it will endure rain and mud and it still looks darn classy!

http://everydaycarry...96/wornused-edc

#69 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

I saw those Chippewas today on Amazon. Really digging thise

#70 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:32 AM

I saw those Chippewas today on Amazon. Really digging thise

I only used em for a couple of weeks now but so far I enjoy them a lot. The fit is good, they are sturdy and have managed mud and water pools very good so far.

#71 Lucca DeBiaso

Lucca DeBiaso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

Depends on what I'm doing. I'm a student by trade so I do a lot of different things throughout my day. Haven't found a one size fits all shoe yet. That's because of the variety of what I do. Big fan of my Doc Marten's for lab work (I'm a biotech student) http://www.drmartens.com/us/. I run in the mornings wearing Adidas Energy Boosts. Going to and from class my pair of Blundstone Australian boots are fantastic, comfortable and last forever. Good buy. 

#72 Boyd

Boyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

I'll wear my humble Teva sandals or Merrell for work and on winter , barefoot most of the time :) 

#73 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

I just received these Teva Terra-Fi Lite sandals https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was looking to replace an older pair of Teva sandals I had.  I had read this review in Outdoor Gear Lab http://www.outdoorge...a-Terra-Fi-Lite

and decided to give them a try.

Out of the box they are very comfortable, true to size, and fit securely.  I will be giving them a more thorough test over the next few months.

#74 HarMo

HarMo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Nice Shoes.

#75 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

I wear Ariate Terrain waterproof. I can stand on hard ground or gravel while instructing at the range all day and get no fatigue.

#76 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 756 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:08 AM

For boots I rotate between two pairs of Dr. Martens, the Made in England Arthur and the Hedon. I've fitted a lot of boots but found a lot of them to be incredibly uncomfortable with stiff, unlined leather (though I appreciate that quality), needing a break-in period, or in the case of cork soles, very unreliable in wet weather (which is half the year in the Philippines).

For "beater" sneakers I like Vans, their waffle sole locks down tight to any surface and they're very comfortable for walking.

I used to be a sneakerhead, but all that's left in my collection now are a pair of adidas, Superstars and Gazelles.

For the gym I like Nikes, though I used to lift heavy with Chucks, but wasn't happy with them at all so if I were to do it again I'd replace them with Vans.

#77 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm a recent convert to Thorogood work boots, and for just getting around doing stuff on the weekend, I have become pretty fond of Sketchers extra wide shoes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users