#21 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

I agree . I lace 'em up tight.

It's how we don't twist and break ankles.

#22 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

I have a weakness for the Adidas Superstar sneakers. Just ordered a new pair.
Otherwise I mainly wear shoes from the Danish company Ecco. Everything from work shoes, dress shoes, loafers to trainers.

ECCO make some of the most comfortable shoes I've worn. I'm on my feet for long periods of time on hard surfaces and ECCO keeps my feet comfortable. They also have great soles which are very slip resistant which is really important to me as well as comfort.
  • Bard likes this

#23 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:41 PM

Every non-snow weather day I wear these "Rambler" model boots by Ariat. I have freak feet with narrow heals and ever widening toe box needed plus room on the arch for the orthotics. With old injured ankles I need a stable base and the heel on these is wide and low. My chiro approved them so good enough for me. In winter and at the farm when working around outside I wear the other pair "Sierras" (mine have dark lower but same boot) with a artificial "hide" lower and leather upper, light liner, steel toe (not shank) and excellent sole and tread. Warm, safe and stable and indestructible so far. When business requires I will wear my brogues. I don't think I even own a pair of anything remotely like a running/training show right now...so you know what I am not doing!

Attached Files

• Jim Carr and Zach Glass like this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#24 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

Every non-snow weather day I wear these "Rambler" model boots by Ariat.

Ariat are my absolute favorite western boots.  I have had very good experiences with them.  I have dead flat arches, high bridges, and a 9EEEE shoe size, and somehow I can always find Ariats that fit.  Another good western boot for "weird fits" is Twisted X Boots.

#25 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

Pete we sound like sole brothers. The hardest thing for me is to look at their selection of styles on line and not go Amelda Marcos on them. They have hit the form and function lien as far as I am concerned. I plan to get another pair from Father's day but haven't decided on which yet. I also plan to build a pair of boots someday but don't have the time these days.
  • Marc likes this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#26 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hey Murray, you'll appreciate the video in this post from Mickey from a while back: http://forum.everyda...s-boots/?p=7553

#27 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

And while I've been summoned, I have something for you boot guys:

sFsbs7t.jpg

#28 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

Wow thanks for the video. Inspiring and sad at the same time. I almost packed in the consulting carrier to apprentice with  a cobbler at the end of my street but family and finances would not realistically permit it. We live in an area that used to be an Italian area of landed Canadians and there were several old school cobblers along the main street and luckily at least 2 have been taken over by second generation cobblers... sons who just could not bear to see the shop closed and left what they were doing to take it up.

On the other hand I bought a bunch of equipment and leather last year from a shop that the fella had to stop operating in 97 after a car accident.... it was just stopped in time. Like he put down his hammer at the end of a normal day and never came back......None of his kids were interested and so it sat. He was a master custom shoe maker and the stuff just sitting on the shelves is amazing. I may still buy his old stock and try to ebay it. He had athletes with massive feet coming from all  over to get his shoes made for them. Also made some cool 70-80's "Kiss" boots. Just sitting on the shelf. Saddest part of the deal was when he went to demonstrate the sewing machine and had forgotten how to thread it and got very upset. It was a hard day for him.

I still pray/wish/dream that someday I can devote more time to the craft and still pay the bills. And that perhaps one of my girls takes an interest.

I have worked on buildings that perhaps may not last past my time but made leather pieces I know will.

• Mikey Bautista and Marc like this

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#29 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Oh man this is gonna be an interesting one...

Main Job - Either 5.11 ATAC 8" Shield Boots or Magnum Interceptor 8" SZ Boots .. Both are very comfortable, but the 5.11's have a pretty crappy zipper as part of their biological resistance.

Second Job - Blundstone Style 992's .. one of the lightest safety boots i think ive ever owned, despite the steel toe it feels like i could go hiking on the things.

Days off (very rare) - 5.11 Recon Trainers when closed in shoes are required and Reef J-Bay thongs (sandals) when they are not

#30 Jim Carr

Jim Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Every non-snow weather day I wear these "Rambler" model boots by Ariat. I have freak feet with narrow heals and ever widening toe box needed plus room on the arch for the orthotics. With old injured ankles I need a stable base and the heel on these is wide and low. My chiro approved them so good enough for me. In winter and at the farm when working around outside I wear the other pair "Sierras" (mine have dark lower but same boot) with a artificial "hide" lower and leather upper, light liner, steel toe (not shank) and excellent sole and tread. Warm, safe and stable and indestructible so far. When business requires I will wear my brogues. I don't think I even own a pair of anything remotely like a running/training show right now...so you know what I am not doing!

Hey... I have been looking at a pair of cowboy boots, but with a toned down cowboy boot look.. I like the look of your Rambler boots.. They are classy!!!

my boots I swear by for different occasions are : 

Hiking: keen mid-ankle hiker

Everyday: Blundstone#500  *most often worn

X-fit runners: Reebok 4.0

water shoes: Lands End Water shoes

Yard work: Either CSA safety shoes or BootCampaign tan work books

Winter: Sorel

#31 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

JIm check out there "work boot" selection -  lots to choose from and not the high cut in heel and not all pointed either. I too like the western functional boot but have always worm a lower heel, square toe or engineers boots. I was really pleased to stumble onto this maker at a tack shop. I will certainly get more when I can. They do some lace ups as well.

http://www.ariat.com...wear-work_boots

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#32 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

I have the L.L. Bean duck boots for trudging in winter.  I sprung for the sherpa lined and thinsulate version and they are glorious.  They get called ugly a lot, but I LOVE them. 

#33 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Loake oxfords for work, Toms for weekends (summer), Timberland Earthkeeper boots (winter) and either Nike Free or Roshe Run for working out. I used to love converse but feeling a bit old for them these days.

#34 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Brought these from work...my everyday site boots..8 years old Dakota brand from a Canadian chain called Mark's Work Warehouse.

Attached Files

• Sven likes this

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#35 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

North Face Hedgehogs for fall until spring, and New Balance runners for the summer.

#36 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

If the sun is out I'm almost always in a pair of flip flops... (I'm sure I'm going to look like I don't belong here after that statement) but it is what it is.... if I'm in sneakers... I only have Nike. (Airmax, huarachi's, frees, or trailwinds. I have a problem... I know... as for work or dressed up Kenneth Cole is my go to... brown or black leather. Winter boot is timberland. (I stand by this brand!) Been using it ALL my life! For snow I have Columbia Bugaboo. Can't beat that omni-heat! Actually my wife got me onto the Columbia brand. I was stubborn for a while and didnt want to give up my tims, but we had to deal with north country snow and now thanks to her she got me and the kids on columbia boots for the snow.

#37 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

If the sun is out I'm almost always in a pair of flip flops... (I'm sure I'm going to look like I don't belong here after that statement) but it is what it is.... if I'm in sneakers... I only have Nike. (Airmax, huarachi's, frees, or trailwinds. I have a problem... I know... as for work or dressed up Kenneth Cole is my go to... brown or black leather. Winter boot is timberland. (I stand by this brand!) Been using it ALL my life! For snow I have Columbia Bugaboo. Can't beat that omni-heat! Actually my wife got me onto the Columbia brand. I was stubborn for a while and didnt want to give up my tims, but we had to deal with north country snow and now thanks to her she got me and the kids on columbia boots for the snow.

Slightly off-topic: I know now that you're not based out of the PH (I *wish* we had snow here), but is your wife from Cebu, by any chance? I'm just curious about you using the Mactan Island Lapu-Lapu statue as your display picture. :P

#38 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Slightly off-topic: I know now that you're not based out of the PH (I *wish* we had snow here), but is your wife from Cebu, by any chance? I'm just curious about you using the Mactan Island Lapu-Lapu statue as your display picture. :P

Nope =) my wife is american. I just wanted an iconic symbol to represent my heritage. My family is from Zambales and I still have family in Olongapo and Castlejos. Been there a few times, I'm still trying to learn the language. Parents didn't teach me growing up.
  • Mikey Bautista likes this

#39 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

Nope =) my wife is american. I just wanted an iconic symbol to represent my heritage. My family is from Zambales and I still have family in Olongapo and Castlejos. Been there a few times, I'm still trying to learn the language. Parents didn't teach me growing up.

Oh nice! It's quite interesting to me that Filipinos abroad are more patriotic and want to be more in touch with their heritage and roots more so than us jaded ones that are here. But that's a topic for another day. :)

• Dom likes this

#40 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

Oh nice! It's quite interesting to me that Filipinos abroad are more patriotic and want to be more in touch with their heritage and roots more so than us jaded ones that are here. But that's a topic for another day. :)

What us interesting to me is that while travelling and meeting other Filipinos is when they learn I can't speak the language I'm no longer considered filipino lol... not all here are so patriotic and I'm sure there are plenty back home who are =) and I don't want you to think I deserve any credit just for having Chief Lapu Lapu as my profile pic.... I have a LOT to learn! A lot...(the language for starters)... but I do without a doubt love and respect my parents homeland.
  • Mikey Bautista likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users