shoes

76 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Hamilton

Rob Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

I bought a pair of these Merrell Moab slip-on shoes just after Christmas, and like them so much they've hardly been off my feet for a day since. Very comfortable to wear as well as walk a good distance in, tough, easy to slip on and off but secure on the foot, able to cope with a rough(ish) trail as well as urban living, and with a bit of style, they seem to me to be just about the perfect EDC and travel shoes. Any others have their own favourites?

http://www.amazon.co...VL._UX575_.jpg]

Attached Files

• Sven and AshleyEnfon like this

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 808 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

Timberland 6" boot in wheat [in 40-degree Philippine weather]. What can I say, it's comfortable and waterproof. :P

#3 Rees Klintworth

Rees Klintworth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

This is a pretty loaded question for me haha, as I'm what would be called a "sneakerhead". I've got around 90 pairs of shoes in my collection right now, and the pair I wear each day varies based on weather conditions and what I will be doing during the day. 

• Blalock likes this

#4 Rob Hamilton

Rob Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

This is a pretty loaded question for me haha, as I'm what would be called a "sneakerhead". I've got around 90 pairs of shoes in my collection right now, and the pair I wear each day varies based on weather conditions and what I will be doing during the day. 

90. Pairs. Of. Shoes!!! At one time!!!!! That's probably more than I've had in a lifetime (and I'm now in my sixties).. Good on you, and no, you don't have to nominate any particular pair. :)

• Rees Klintworth and Jeff Kincaid like this

#5 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

Work is RedWing, off work is Merrell. No slip on shoes. Ever.

#6 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 808 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

So did you pick up the Chicagos or Pinnacles this week? B)

#7 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Sperrys for work. Nike free 5.0 for athletic shoes. Keen Targhees for hiking boots. 

#8 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

When working (usually wearing a suit): Johnston & Murphy's, Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, Bostonian, Born

When not working or doing anything else: birthday suit or maybe flip flops

Hiking boots: Oboz

Cycling shoes: Giro

Walking somewhere in a situation not listed above: Doc Martens

When a real work boot is needed: Timberland

#9 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

Ahnu hikers for non-work wear.  Red Wing Irish Setter steel-toes for work.  ASICS for running and cross-training.  Yes, I wear all of them daily.  Not at the same time, mind you, but daily.  :P

And while they're not exactly everyday wear, they're the only slip-ons you'll ever catch me in.

#10 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

When a real work boot is needed: Timberland

My last pair were Timberland Pit Boss STs.  Took forever to break 'em in, but I got a LOT of life out of them.

#11 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

I work from home, so I'll admit to wearing some Crocs ballet flats all the damn time.  I try not to wear them out, but it does happen. I tend toward ASICS for running and cross training and some very old Vasque Sundowners for hiking. Those are the most frequent shoes in my daily wear rotation.  I am a lady though, so I have lots of shoes.  At last count I was at 50 pairs.  Rees the sneakerhead has me beat. 

#12 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

...and some very old Vasque Sundowners for hiking.

I've heard good things about Vasque.  How long have you had yours?

#13 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 808 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:12 AM

I work from home, so I'll admit to wearing some Crocs ballet flats all the damn time. I try not to wear them out, but it does happen. I tend toward ASICS for running and cross training and some very old Vasque Sundowners for hiking. Those are the most frequent shoes in my daily wear rotation. I am a lady though, so I have lots of shoes. At last count I was at 50 pairs. Rees the sneakerhead has me beat.

I'm a huge fan of ASICS as well for running/training. I've owned my second pair in about 12 years after finally breaking the first pair from daily runs a while back.

#14 Rob Hamilton

Rob Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:47 AM

Work is RedWing, off work is Merrell. No slip on shoes. Ever.

I was entirely with you until I spent six years living and working in the Middle East, when shoes would be on and off dozens of times a day, That and frequent international travel involving footwear-obsessed airport security checks converted me to slip-on shoes. I like these Moabs because they're the first slip-ons I've found that really stay securely on my feet when doing anything vigorous. 

• Bladerunner337 likes this

#15 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

I'm a huge fan of ASICS as well for running/training. I've owned my second pair in about 12 years after finally breaking the first pair from daily runs a while back.

I used to be able to go and buy the same model of ASICS year after year, but my latest pair has been a disappointment to the point where I'm going to probably abandon them and go get fitted for a new pair. On runs I get shin splints and knee pain every single time I wear them, and I've never had issues with that before. They even cause some problems during cross training workouts.  I do something similar to CrossFit without the lingo ;)

I've heard good things about Vasque.  How long have you had yours?

I've had mine since 2000 I think.  The first few years I only used them on lighter day hikes, but I've become totally enamored with backpacking, so they are getting more wear and tear lately. I have a narrow foot and the Sundowners run a bit wide, but I just use that as an excuse to wear super cushioned hiking socks. I put waterproofing goop on them once a year (or after a thorough soaking) to keep the leather in condition, but that's about it. They are heavy boots, but they feel great on rough trails.

• Jim Carr likes this

#16 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

Similar for me except I sold a bunch of mine so I'm down closer to 50-60... ;)

• Rees Klintworth likes this

#17 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

No slip on shoes. Ever.

I agree . I lace 'em up tight.
  • coldwater and Jason Chupick like this

#18 Rees Klintworth

Rees Klintworth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

So did you pick up the Chicagos or Pinnacles this week? B)

I'll be gunning for the Chicago 1s this coming Saturday, haha! 

#19 Bard

Bard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

I have a weakness for the Adidas Superstar sneakers. Just ordered a new pair.

Otherwise I mainly wear shoes from the Danish company Ecco. Everything from work shoes, dress shoes, loafers to trainers.

• Dave likes this

#20 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

For running on flat surface I also have a pair of asics. For Trail I love my Salomon Speedcross. They have fantastic grip and you don't even feel them. For everything tough I have Salewa approach shoes or hiking boots both GTX.
Salewa is a great brand for outdoor but I think you will only get it easy in europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users