115 replies to this topic

#41 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

I have been wearing colored shooting glasses for probably 30 years. I have (I think) 6 colors for different lighting indoors and out. It makes a big difference. Yellow and amber are light collecting for low light conditions, and are probably my most 2 used pairs overall. Try checking out the Wiley X line. They have a ton of styles, and are reasonably priced for good quality glasses. You can see a bunch of them here.

http://tacticalgear.com/wiley-x?pg=2

Thanks for the heads up! I already see some stuff I like, and the price is right, too. B)

#42 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:29 AM

There's much more to it than that. My eyes are a vital organ, I'll protect them. Some things to consider with eyewear:
- lens material - is the material reasonably shatterproof ?
- frame material - is it durable? Do they fit my head and will stay on in all activities?
- UV protection - dark sunglasses do not necessarily block UV light
- polarization - usually only available on higher end glasses
- optical clarity - as a general rule, higher end glasses will have better clarity. That's subjective to he wearer.

That right Dom, But I have mentioned that I like to get those sunglasses which are enough to protect my eye(The most important organ of a human body) from sunlight that could be very harmful to them. And by that statement , I might be including all the factors like lens material, frame material, UV protection for sure, optical clarity. But I think you got me wrong. What I mean by not considering brand is that I don't consider only the brands, but also keep notice on all the key feature a good sun glass should have.

When you think of something, Go for it.......

Love to Carry victorinox trekking Knives and leatherman multitools for outdoors survival.

#43 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

couldnt agree more! My eyes are my lively hood. I don't scrimp on my eye protection. All good factors to consider Dom when buying sunglasses

I don't like to compromise on my eyes for sure. I consider the good factors of sunglasses not just the brands.

Love to Carry victorinox trekking Knives and leatherman multitools for outdoors survival.

#44 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

This reminds me of the vodka commercial where the guys go into a bar and say "it doesn't matter what Vodka" and they all get jacked up haircuts, get some foul tattoos and all end up on some bus to some 3rd world country for vacation... I'm not judging on how you choose your glasses (sunglasses) but I personally do consider which brand when it comes to edc....just my 2cents.

Hello Big Easy,

I do think that there a big confusion on my statement of not considering brands. What I more consider is all the good factors a sunglasses have. Can't explain more than that.

#45 TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

Only the best sunglasses ever made, the Oakley X-Medals. Recently at one of my wifes runners conventions some guy wanted to give me $800 in cash right there. When I asked why when you can get them new for $400 dollars I was told they stopped making them over a year ago. Needless to say I said no. I only use these for the weekends.

p1244086905-4.jpg

p1244086916-4.jpg

And these are my work sunglasses which have to have glass not plastic lenses. Plastic ones no matter how scratch resistant they say they are get scratched. These glass ones do not.

p1244088355-4.jpg

p1244086946-4.jpg

#46 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

Random question just in case someone can help. I have a big head, physically I mean although my girlfriend might claim it applies metaphorically as well! I'm after some new sunglasses and was looking at Ray Ban Wayfarers or Aviators. I've tried some on but always feel like the arms are bending outwards at least a little bit which feels wrong. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Or should I look for a brand/style that is a bit wider? Anyone know something like that?

#47 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:28 PM

Random question just in case someone can help. I have a big head, physically I mean although my girlfriend might claim it applies metaphorically as well! I'm after some new sunglasses and was looking at Ray Ban Wayfarers or Aviators. I've tried some on but always feel like the arms are bending outwards at least a little bit which feels wrong. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Or should I look for a brand/style that is a bit wider? Anyone know something like that?

Part of the reason I don't really like wearing glasses is that I have the same problem -- I feel like my head is on the large side (not to mention asymmetrical) and wraparounds like the glasses from Oakley. Also have the same problem with Wayfarers. Aviators and thinner/flexible frames seem to do better on me, so I would try those. On the recommendation from coldwater here in the forum I'm also having a look at Wiley X stuff along with other shooting glasses, they may be more flexible and comfortable to wear.

#48 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:57 AM

Have you checked at Pearle Vision or LensCrafters?  Those places do sell non-prescription shades from Ray-Ban, Maui Jim and Oakley, and they can adjust them to properly fit your head.  I have a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers from LensCrafters that they actually had to narrow down for me quite a bit... and that's for a guy who wears a size 7-1/2 hat!

It might seem like overkill to buy shades from an optician, but I look at it as being the same thing as buying a good suit and having it tailored.  You know you're gonna put it to good use, so you get the best you can afford, and you make it fit right.

• Mikey Bautista, Dom and Marc like this

#49 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

I agree with Pete ^^^. Go get fit.

Also, look for frames that have arms that bend outward. Some frames do, and even have tension springs to return the stems back.
  • Marc likes this

#50 big Easy

big Easy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Hello Big Easy,

I do think that there a big confusion on my statement of not considering brands. What I more consider is all the good factors a sunglasses have. Can't explain more than that.

Gotcha.

#51 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

Have you checked at Pearle Vision or LensCrafters?  Those places do sell non-prescription shades from Ray-Ban, Maui Jim and Oakley, and they can adjust them to properly fit your head.  I have a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers from LensCrafters that they actually had to narrow down for me quite a bit... and that's for a guy who wears a size 7-1/2 hat!

It might seem like overkill to buy shades from an optician, but I look at it as being the same thing as buying a good suit and having it tailored.  You know you're gonna put it to good use, so you get the best you can afford, and you make it fit right.

Good tip! I'm in the UK so don't have those companies but I'm sure opticians would do something similar over here. I'll have a look at that.

#52 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:50 PM

My EDC sunglasses are ones I found in my local park. They have served me well for many years! I wish I knew what brand they were. I also have a pair of Prada sunglasses that I found while on vacation, and I wear them occasionally.

Attached Files

• Dom, coldwater and SrLongBeach like this

#53 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

My EDC sunglasses are ones I found in my local park. They have served me well for many years! I wish I knew what brand they were. I also have a pair of Prada sunglasses that I found while on vacation, and I wear them occasionally.

I friggin LOVE this! :lol: What a break from $$$$$ sunglasses!

• Mason Delpino and Dave like this

#54 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

I know, right?! I wear the unknown-brand ones a lot more than the Prada ones though :P

#55 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Absolutely friggin priceless.. For some reason, this just made my day. :D

#56 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

If only you'd find some knives, lights, watches.... ;)

#57 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

If only you'd find some knives, lights, watches.... ;)

^^^This^^^ is why I wear the drugstore fit-overs.  The first pair of expensive shades I ever owned, I left on a park bench.  In the 45 seconds it took me to realize that I'd left them, then turn around to get them, they were gone.

I did get a good laugh out of this thread, though.  :)

#58 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

^^^This^^^ is why I wear the drugstore fit-overs.  The first pair of expensive shades I ever owned, I left on a park bench.  In the 45 seconds it took me to realize that I'd left them, then turn around to get them, they were gone.

I did get a good laugh out of this thread, though.  :)

Dude that sucks. I take care of my glasses like any other piece of my gear. Some gear is more expensive/valuable than others...but if you're good with gear your glasses could survive. I frequently put them on top f my head when not wearing them just so they're not crushed or left behind.
  • big Easy likes this

#59 Hugo Luis Costa

Hugo Luis Costa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPortugal, Lisboa

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

Rayban aviator black

#60 Bard

Bard

Advanced Member