82 replies to this topic

#41 Plumblucky1

Plumblucky1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

The knife is in there, just cut out of pic. I'll get a better one, that was just a taste since you've all waited so long

#42 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

The knife is in there, just cut out of pic. I'll get a better one, that was just a taste since you've all waited so long

its not in there if it is cut out of the picture.
  • Plumblucky1 likes this

#43 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

Here is my dump and since I am a Canadian I have no EDC weapon other than the lethal Canadian pocket full of change.

Pilot fine liner
Caravan and house keys
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Custom folder by "Notec" on CAF
Ancient wallet
Victorinox "Mechanic"
Epipen, on-demand heart and allergy meds
Ear buds
Ray Ban Clubs
Lethal Canadian pocket of change

IMG_1570_zpsupc4ouyy.jpg
  • Dom and Marc like this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#44 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

LOL, that's a lot of ammo to carry.

#45 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

We have two large calibre coins called loonies (26.5mm)and twoonies (28mm)
  • Dom likes this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#46 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

As stated above, a GOOD gun belt is pretty much a must. They're extra thick, and tanned specifically to be stiff and not bend. They will easily hold the weight of a heavy full steel full size 1911 pistol without sagging down, and keeps everything high on the waste where it belongs. Equally important is your gun leather or holster. They usually cost as much as a good belt (about 80-100+ bucks) and worth the money because they are designed well and made from quality materials. They ride the pistol high and tight, offer good retention and an easy draw. Some more inexpensive choices are a well made kydex, which are nice for reholstering after a draw. My crossbreeds are about $95 shipped, my Kirkpatricks  about $130. I generally use Galco leather belts that run around $90 for the 1-3/4" ones I prefer. Some guys buy a K-mart belt and an uncle mikes flip flop holster, then complain they can't conceal and it's uncomfortable, Their pants are constantly falling down, and they print like they have a typewriter under their shirt. Don't buy a decent pistol and cheap out on a carry belt and holster.

ken Null makes great belts and holsters. My favorites are horsehide.

#47 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

As stated above, a GOOD gun belt is pretty much a must. They're extra thick, and tanned specifically to be stiff and not bend. They will easily hold the weight of a heavy full steel full size 1911 pistol without sagging down, and keeps everything high on the waste where it belongs. Equally important is your gun leather or holster. They usually cost as much as a good belt (about 80-100+ bucks) and worth the money because they are designed well and made from quality materials. They ride the pistol high and tight, offer good retention and an easy draw. Some more inexpensive choices are a well made kydex, which are nice for reholstering after a draw. My crossbreeds are about $95 shipped, my Kirkpatricks  about $130. I generally use Galco leather belts that run around $90 for the 1-3/4" ones I prefer. Some guys buy a K-mart belt and an uncle mikes flip flop holster, then complain they can't conceal and it's uncomfortable, Their pants are constantly falling down, and they print like they have a typewriter under their shirt. Don't buy a decent pistol and cheap out on a carry belt and holster.

Well articulated. As a student of holster making I cant agree more that people who carry regularly need to look at the gun, holster, and belt as s systems which can even expand to include custom pants with appropriately place loops or cut asymmetrically to help hide the IWB's or jackets cut to hide OWB's.

Then there is the old click versus squeak discussion of kydex versus leather which oddly enough has lead to the hybrids.. both.. personally I will stick with the century old materials and the challenges and rewards of working them. Also there are some great books on holsters such as Bianchi's classic "Blue Steel and Gunleather' and "Holsters for Combat and Concealed Carry" [Kindle Edition] R. K. Campbell (Author)- good field based reviews of pros and cons of many of the big makers and materials.

As leather worker and in the community I don't think there is a clear consensus on horse over cow hide but each definitely has some unique qualities. There are Makers who swear by either one and some will do either on request.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#48 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

I prefer a full retention holster when Being active, such as hunts or hikes. I usually go to leather for these uses, with a thumb break. I'm not concerned with speed,  I need security.  Bear or boar hunting, I use a shoulder rig that holds my 7-1/2" 44 Redhawk with a 2X Leupold scope. . For concealed carry, I prefer an IWB, specifically a Crossbreed. I use them in horse hide, because I usually have it right against the skin. 

hybrids or full kydex are the undisputed king for concealed carry for one reason. The ability to keep eyes on target and re-holstering without dealing with a collapsed holster. I don't usually worry about belt loops, as it's the outstanding ability of a quality gun belt to hold the sidearm and the pants. A crossbreed sits where you want without belt loops being an issue. I also have a custom Western belt I had made years ago when I was doing cowboy shoots and riding shots. Again, a fast draw and no collapsing of the holster. There are A lot of choices out there. To me, most of them are bad ones. Very few makers have done due diligence in fully understanding the dynamics of gun and man. The rest are anywhere from lack luster to being no better than using a K mart flip flop on your belt. 

#49 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

Here is a little IWB I made for a big man and his XDm...lots of body to belt pressure and it is all leather but with a steel reinforced mouth to prevent collapse. he was an avid airsoft tactical role player and says it performed flawlessly and I specifically asked him to try one hand eyes up re-holster and he says it did its job when he did his. So yes understanding form, function, materials is key.

Attached Files

• Duff72 likes this

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#50 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

That's a beautiful piece of work, Murray. Well done.

#51 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Thanks CW. I like making the plain jane ones as much as the fancy tooled pieces.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#52 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

My personal preference is plain gun leather. Even my western rig is completely smooth.

#53 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

I have made a few recently with just a period appropriate boarder stamp - clean body but a nice accent or help emphasis the lines. Full floral etc. is fun to do, not particularly 1800's authentic but has its place as well...a few makers and later in the era but it was more prevalent into the early 1900's.

Great book to look at is called packing Iron

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0939549085

For modern leather I also am not a fan of the spray painted accented/shaded stained or inlays etc. but that is just my taste. I have always been more of a traditionalist I guess...

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#54 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Wow. Only a few carriers among us? Interesting.

11351390_10155662831810515_6681830155491

• Duff72, Stupendous Walrus, Griffen Kociela and 1 other like this

#55 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Count me as a carrier. No one is more responsble for my family's safety than me.
  • Plumblucky1, coldwater and Country_Jim like this

#56 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Count me as a carrier. No one is more responsble for my family's safety than me.

exactly. 

• Duff72 likes this

#57 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Lets not forget that this is an international forum and as such some of us who would carry if given the choice are unable due to legal restrictions

#58 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Fully understood, but the title of the post is  EDC and firearms inclusive. It's meant for those of us that CAN, and do carry. However, no one is excluded. It's a shame so many have these restrictions placed on you. Duff put it up because it's a way of life for many of us, just as others carry a wallet or watch.

• Duff72 and Dave like this

#59 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

Oh man...i totally agree with you. There is a H&K USP 9mm somewhere with my name on it the day they decide to let us be adults and make our own decisions down here.

Until then please ignore this particular shade of green i seam to be turning...i believe dulux call it envy.

• Duff72 likes this

#60 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Keep dreamin those dreams, and fight the government ignorance wherever you can! Gun owners and anyone of like mind are one and the same, even if you have restrictions placed on you. 

• Duff72, Shaun D and Country_Jim like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users