Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Watch Recommendation, Thin With Numerals & Second Hand?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce H

Bruce H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

Hi All,

Any recommendations for a watch that has these features? Thin, preferably under 6mm, leather or cloth band, second hand, arabic numerals, under $150.

I thought I had found the right thing from Skagen, but the one with numerals and a second hand turned out to be 8mm, just as thick as most watches I find at my local stores and their thin models don't have numerals or a second hand. 

I want something I can wear at work where I carry and set up a lot of heavy equipment. Thicker watches get banged against door jambs and equipment and eventually get scratched or broken. I used to use digital watches that are pretty easy to find in thin sizes but analog is easier for me to check discreetly at a glance and the second hand is useful when running events.

Thanks!

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1032 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Have you taken a look at the Swatch Skin line? Here's one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B06XQ2KGNX/

Seems to just about fit your specs (no second hand, though, it seems), and is about 6mm thick as well!

#3 The Narrow Gent

The Narrow Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

That's going to be tough to find. You probably want something with a sapphire crystal to prevent scratching, which you won't likely find at that price point. Try the Orient Capital Quartz from Long Island Watch. Just under 8mm thick, with a price point of about $99. Doesn't fully fit what you are looking for, but I know of no such unicorn in existence. My experience with very thin, low quality quartz pieces is that the batteries run out after about 2-3 months and you end up having to just replace the whole watch. Good luck on your search. 

#4 Bruce H

Bruce H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

My thanks to both of you. It looks like that Swatch might be the ticket. It doesn't look like it has a second hand unless something about the dual color of the background act to count seconds. But now that I think about it more, there only a few events we do each year where timing is that precise.

#5 Bruce H

Bruce H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

Thanks again. Just ordered a Skinnight. I think this will complete my daily carry and I really don't need to buy anything more for that.

I looked through all of the other Skin series watches and the Skinshado came close but I think black numerals on a light background will be easier to see than white numerals on a dark background when working an event in a darkened hall. All the rest of the features should be just what I need.

Of course now I get to move on to refining my travel carry kit...
  • Mikey Bautista likes this

#6 Bruce H

Bruce H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:28 AM

SkinNight arrived yesterday and it looks like it is just the ticket. Quite comfortable. So thin and light I hardly know it is there. Much better than the approx.13mm watches I have had before this. I think it will work great at avoiding collisions with equipment. The verdict is still out on the blue silicone band though. It just barely fits on the last notch on two and I think the silicone might end up being a bit too sweaty. I will probably replace it with a leather band at some point. Hopefully I can figure out if the band Swatch makes for it is any longer or find a third party one that is.
  • Mikey Bautista likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users