How do you store your EDC rotation?

76 replies to this topic

#21 Mick Taffy Evans

Mick Taffy Evans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Got some bits and pieces cluttering up the bedside.  Most of my rotational EDC lives in an old Swiss Army Gas Mask bag.

• John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#22 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

I made a storage unit. Check it out:

http://forum.everyda...ge-unit/?p=1598

• Duff72 and Stupendous Walrus like this

#23 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

Guys! Check this out...

While cheating on everydaycarry.com by visiting reddit.com/r/edc, I found a most interesting post for a delightfully classy storage box, which could potentially contain EDC gear. Well priced, too!

http://shop.trinityi...3-wood-box.html
  • Marc likes this

#24 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

Guys! Check this out...
While cheating on everydaycarry.com by visiting reddit.com/r/edc, I found a most interesting post for a delightfully classy storage box, which could potentially contain EDC gear. Well priced, too!

That thing is serious!
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#25 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

That thing is serious!

I know it!  It's cool, but I still think I want to design and build my own.

#26 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

I know it!  It's cool, but I still think I want to design and build my own.

Yes, definitely build your own. Like the one I made, even if it doesn't come out perfect, it's unique, handmade, and your creation. Put some power tools to work!

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#27 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

I was just thinking about this actually and I just got a Plano clear plastic box (I think it's made for fishing lures and other gear). It has long slots and I can add dividers whereever I need to.It's already pretty full but it cleared off my dresser and made my wife happier haha. I'll get a pic and post it.attachicon.gif20150112_235431.jpg

I followed Aaron's suggestion and bought a Plano box last night at Walmart (in the fishing gear section).  Less than $5 and all of my EDC rotation fits nicely.

• Dom, Jim Carr and Chris Szaroleta like this

#28 Craig Schaffer

Craig Schaffer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Guys! Check this out...

That is a really good price.  Great find.

#29 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

At 4 times (or way more) the price check out Gerstner tool chests. they are of unbeatable quality. if the one from the link is anything like the one from Harbor Freight (they look identical) buyer beware . I went through several in the store and they were full of material and workmanship problems. I went with the ointent of picking one up and left sadly dissapointed.

#30 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

At 4 times (or way more) the price check out Gerstner tool chests. they are of unbeatable quality. if the one from the link is anything like the one from Harbor Freight (they look identical) buyer beware . I went through several in the store and they were full of material and workmanship problems. I went with the ointent of picking one up and left sadly dissapointed.

It was in this thread that I first mentioned my intent to design my own EDC storage box.  The Szecret's out of the bag!   ;)

• Duff72 likes this

#31 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

Man, you guys are pros! I'm not worthy to be in such company. :)  I'm a pretty confirmed minimalist, and don't carry much on me. I have a Dodge quad cab diesel truck that kind of is my EDC. I keep a little cross section of stuff in there that may be needed, either in the console or under the rear seat for use respectively. On my person I pretty much limit my stuff to a side arm, one knife, my wallet, cash and keys. The knife is a Benchmade barrage assisted open. I never change anything unless I have to. I have a heavily stocked 72 hour bag, and a EDC bag that gets tossed in the truck, but very little on me unless I'm doing a hike or other long outing. 

• Duff72 and John B. like this

#32 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

Man, you guys are pros! I'm not worthy to be in such company. :)  I'm a pretty confirmed minimalist, and don't carry much on me. I have a Dodge quad cab diesel truck that kind of is my EDC. I keep a little cross section of stuff in there that may be needed, either in the console or under the rear seat for use respectively. On my person I pretty much limit my stuff to a side arm, one knife, my wallet, cash and keys. The knife is a Benchmade barrage assisted open. I never change anything unless I have to. I have a heavily stocked 72 hour bag, and a EDC bag that gets tossed in the truck, but very little on me unless I'm doing a hike or other long outing. 

You're right where you need to be, coldwater!

#33 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

Which brings up a question. I was trained to be proficient with a common gear load out, and it was kept pretty much static overall. It becomes comfortable. You can put your hands on anything you have in any position in any light, and know it without thinking. Just bring it into action. It's why I carried my 1911 for 30 years. I know it. Same with my AR's, and right down to the one same tactical pocket knife I carry. Their my friends, and we know each other. It may be a combination of years ago training, and many more years of using tools for my trade, but a new tool in my hands is awkward as all get out until I can "make it mine" and be happy using it.

How do you decide what goes into a rotation when you change up? What (if anything) motivates the swap of gear, and does it ever end up being confusing having to go for a new piece of gear you may have forgotten or become unfamiliar with? 

• Mason Delpino likes this

#34 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

Which brings up a question. I was trained to be proficient with a common gear load out, and it was kept pretty much static overall. It becomes comfortable. You can put your hands on anything you have in any position in any light, and know it without thinking. Just bring it into action. It's why I carried my 1911 for 30 years. I know it. Same with my AR's, and right down to the one same tactical pocket knife I carry. Their my friends, and we know each other. It may be a combination of years ago training, and many more years of using tools for my trade, but a new tool in my hands is awkward as all get out until I can "make it mine" and be happy using it.

How do you decide what goes into a rotation when you change up? What (if anything) motivates the swap of gear, and does it ever end up being confusing having to go for a new piece of gear you may have forgotten or become unfamiliar with?

I'm sure responses will vary greatly on this one, but for me, variety is the spice of life!

I research the gear I get like a madman, so I only make informed decisions and love all of it. There are very few items I've sought out and then kept out of my rotation.

There just too many companies doing awesome things with new technologies, steels, etc. for me to not get involved.

Lastly, part of it is about adaptability to more classic styles. For instance, I never thought I'd carry a leather bag every day. My tastes have changed and I do now! Oh, and one more thing...I simply can be satisfied with one (or two [or three]) of anything. ;)
  • Duff72 likes this

#35 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

This past Christmas, my in-laws got me a faux marble looking box (that's the best way I can explain it). I'm not really sure why they got it for me, but it has proved useful for my EDC stuff. I guess my wife got tired of all my stuff being scattered across my night stand and dresser and told them to get me a box. 

#36 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:11 AM

This past Christmas, my in-laws got me a faux marble looking box (that's the best way I can explain it). I'm not really sure why they got it for me, but it has proved useful for my EDC stuff. I guess my wife got tired of all my stuff being scattered across my night stand and dresser and told them to get me a box.

The box I'm using now only works for two of my rotational items, knives and watches. I need separate compartments for everything! A flashlights drawer, a pens and notebooks drawer, a multi tool drawer, a miscellaneous compartment, drawer for sunglasses, etc. A spot for everything!

#37 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

I have even considered customizing or building a stand up jewelry/valet box to suit my needs or building a stand for a Gerstner box

#38 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

I have even considered customizing or building a stand up jewelry/valet box to suit my needs or building a stand for a Gerstner box

That's the idea, Duffster!  It has to have a glass top to accommodate solar powered watches.

#39 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

Chris, I hear ya on the desire to obtain more  gear (toys!) And to be completely honest, I'm as guilty as anyone for lusting after every damned thing I see in the local surplus store, it's like a crack den to an addict. I have carried a big 72 hour type bag for more years than I can remember, and I love tinkering with it and adding stuff. 

But the whole EDC thing is pretty new to me, and I'm pretty intrigued by the whole concept of having a personal, light, dirty grab handful of things to go to if needed. Because of my job, I'm not in a good position to carry things on me personally, which is the reason for starting the bag I'm building now. I hope you bear with me while I ask questions and try to pick through the mountain of tried and true gear so many of you use, and keep up with the new stuff as well. It's gonna be a chore to keep it to a minimum! 

#40 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Chris, I hear ya on the desire to obtain more  gear (toys!) And to be completely honest, I'm as guilty as anyone for lusting after every damned thing I see in the local surplus store, it's like a crack den to an addict. I have carried a big 72 hour type bag for more years than I can remember, and I love tinkering with it and adding stuff. 

But the whole EDC thing is pretty new to me, and I'm pretty intrigued by the whole concept of having a personal, light, dirty grab handful of things to go to if needed. Because of my job, I'm not in a good position to carry things on me personally, which is the reason for starting the bag I'm building now. I hope you bear with me while I ask questions and try to pick through the mountain of tried and true gear so many of you use, and keep up with the new stuff as well. It's gonna be a chore to keep it to a minimum! 

Just remember, coldwater, we're all enablers.  No one here will tell you NOT to buy something you're interested in getting...  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users