Wallets?

187 replies to this topic

#1 Logan

Logan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hey folks, new to the website. (Even though the website looks fairly new itself!)

I didn't know what an EDC was until about two days ago when I stumbled across an article on imgur. I'm enamoured with the idea of this whole thing (as I have for years), and I've been hunting for a wallet for some time now! I've gone through 3 recently, one being a Mighty wallet (http://bit.ly/1zLgiLR) I receieved from my ex for christmas a couple years back. The other two are your average fossil offerings.

I've been looking at the Dash Wallets, and the Slim Folds (made from Tyvek, so similar to the mighty wallet) and was wondering if any of you had any input on the quality/durability of either. If anyone knows of any similarly priced minimalist wallets, please share!

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

- L

• Glen and mathewsj11 like this

#2 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Logan, you're me from a year and a half ago :-)

I started paying attention to what I keep in my pockets when I bought a Bellroy Slim Sleeve.  I'm on my 2nd one, as the stitching on the 1st frayed after 9 months and was quickly replaced under warranty.  In that time, they re-designed the wallet, including the stitching in the corners, so haven't had any problems with the new one.  The Slim Sleeve isn't rugged, but I'm fairly easy on my gear.  Bellroy have a new range of more hardy carry just out, if that's more what you're after.

I love my slim sleeve, it's breaking in well and it's tiny compared to my last Fossil wallet.  It cost a bit more than I wanted to pay at the time, but I'm glad I splashed the cash for something that's on me nearly every waking moment.

Best of luck in your hunt!

P.S. it's a slippery slope; next you'll want to minimise your keys, then you'll want a torch and a knife ;-)

• Jim Carr, Chris Szaroleta, Caleb and 3 others like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#3 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

Glen's right.  You should consult with your better half before heading down this dangerous highway of gear obsession!  For me, the EDC approach is about being classy, functional and lightweight.  In the wallet world, that means something slim in leather.  Since the basis for the majority of my outfits is either brown or black, I like to have one in each of those colors.  Card cases work very well...something that holds four or so cards, including your license, and maybe a few bills.  Nothing more needed!  I enjoy Fossil products for being relatively inexpensive, yet classy and functional.  The brown one I carry is the Fossil Men's Hale Slim Card Case .  Happy wallet hunting!

• Glen, Caleb, Dawn and 1 other like this

#4 Luke

Luke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

I am going to go a different route. I really like my Saddleback Leather wallet. It is not light and it is not slim. It is a leather wallet with a 100 year warranty. I have carried it for years and I love it still. All I am saying is look in to the Saddleback brand, they have a lot of fun stuff.

• Mark Edmonds likes this

#5 John Frank Slobodian

John Frank Slobodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

I second the Bellroy wallets, they're great. I met one of the sales guys and he gave me a rundown of their history and why he was in the city where I live, and when we went our separate ways he gave me one of their wallets, it was great and I still use it. The one I was partial to before that was a Herschel wallet that is just a vertical version of their "Charlie" wallet, and that one was great too. I don't really carry all my cards, just the bare essentials so that one worked but the bellroy, despite being small can hold a ton. I wish I could use both honestly...  Good luck!

• Glen likes this

#6 Mark Edmonds

Mark Edmonds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

I'm with Luke - a real Saddleback fan. Their wallet is well made and hard-wearing, hence the 100 year warranty and the tagline - "They'll fight over it when you're dead".

I've tried the minimalist wallets, but I just can't get everything in them. Saddleback is a different approach, but you'll certainly get quality.

#7 Dylan

Dylan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Dont know if your a fan of kydex or carbon fiber but Hell Bent Holsters makes the Combat Wallet. It is outstanding. Im able to carry everything in my front pocket. Its slim, discreet, and incredibly light. Look them up at hellbentholsters.com. Great quality. Customer Service is great and there are a TON of different styles to choose from. 

#8 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

I've been using my Saddleback leather card holder for a few months now and absolutely love it. I was tired of carrying excess cards and other things around in a wallet. I'd get a recipt, stick it in there and forget about it. I'd keep gift cards with only $0.42 left on them (My fault for being a pack rat I guess, ha!) Eventually, the wallet bulge got the best of me and I needed to purge all the useless things. The Saddleback card holder forced me to choose which cards I'd use on a regular basis or semi-regular basis and get rid of the excess. I rarely keep much cash so that's not a problem. It will hold a couple of bills though. Usually, when I find a new item that I MUST have for my EDC, the price for a particular item is ridiculous! I expected this great quality leather item to be expensive. However, I was very surprised to see that it was only $14! I highly recommend if you are looking to minimize what you carry in your wallet.

#9 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

I couldn't help but think of this image when I first came to the wallet thread.  I knew there would be debates about slim card cases vs full size bi and trifolds.  This pic sums it up for me!  "You've got more cow here than here!" - Jerry Seinfeld

causes-of-back-pain-george-seinfeld-wall

• Marc, Andrew and happy like this

#10 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

I really like the teranishi eno style cardholders because it's relatively slim that can carry a lot of cards. I seen similar styles from other brands and on etsy

• Dmytro likes this

#11 Logan

Logan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions guys!

I failed to check this post this week, it looks like it blew up a bit! I went ahead and ordered a Dash 3.0 Saffiano last weekend. I'm gonna give that a go and see if I can get by with a slim wallet. Definitely going to check out the Bellroy wallets, they look fantastic!! Great to see this such a friendly and welcoming community.

And regarding check with my other half, that's never really an issue as she's about as real as a unicorn hahaha.

Thanks again lads,

L

• Glen, Griffen Kociela and Chris Szaroleta like this

#12 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions guys!

I failed to check this post this week, it looks like it blew up a bit! I went ahead and ordered a Dash 3.0 Saffiano last weekend. I'm gonna give that a go and see if I can get by with a slim wallet. Definitely going to check out the Bellroy wallets, they look fantastic!! Great to see this such a friendly and welcoming community.

And regarding check with my other half, that's never really an issue as she's about as real as a unicorn hahaha.

Thanks again lads,

L

Gotta love a unicorn spouse!  I usually try to convince my wife of something she needs first.  Once that's done and she purchases, I get to spend.  It's a scam, but she's aware of it and it works!

• Vasco Cardoso and Dawn like this

#13 Logan

Logan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

Gotta love a unicorn spouse!  I usually try to convince my wife of something she needs first.  Once that's done and she purchases, I get to spend.  It's a scam, but she's aware of it and it works!

Happy wife, happy life eh? :P

• Glen likes this

#14 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Happy wife, happy life eh? :P

That's the idea, anyway...  HA!  

#15 Ara Panossian

Ara Panossian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

I use a Bellroy Slim Sleeve as well, love it.

• Glen and Jim Carr like this

#16 Sterling

Sterling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationYoungsville, NC

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

I ordered the same wallet recently, not arrived yet. In the past I have used whatever bifold I got for Christmas 'x' years before the previous one wore out, or, more recently, a leather pocket thing I got with some leather bike pants.

#17 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

Can't comment on what your looking at, sorry

I only carry wallets that zip

I know it Sounds childish, but they work best for me

All my zip wallets in leather have outlived synthetic wallets, I typically go through one every 4 years or so, they could probably go longer but I like a new one ocassionally. I always have one ready to go as a back up so I don't have to go look for a new one, so if I ever come across a good deal that's made well I grab it. There is some that are fairly compact, and thin and I can guarentee nothing will fall out if I drop it

#18 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Can't comment on what your looking at, sorry
I only carry wallets that zip
I know it Sounds childish, but they work best for me
All my zip wallets in leather have outlived synthetic wallets, I typically go through one every 4 years or so, they could probably go longer but I like a new one ocassionally. I always have one ready to go as a back up so I don't have to go look for a new one, so if I ever come across a good deal that's made well I grab it. There is some that are fairly compact, and thin and I can guarentee nothing will fall out if I drop it

Back in the day, I used to carry those Velcro surfer style wallets. They were inexpensive, super durable, light, slim, versatile. Then, I suppose I needed to be a big boy and get a "real" wallet. So I have leather billfolds, trifolds, money clips. But I miss those old wallets. Maybe there's a happy medium...
  • Christopher and TonySal like this

#19 Nick

Nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

I just picked up a Tanner Goods utility wallet. Looks and feels great so far. 

IMG_9766_1024x1024.jpg?v=1418141783

• Bernard Capulong, Stupendous Walrus and Marc like this

#20 Gunter

Gunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

I recently picked up the Maxpedition CMC wallet. I love it, tons of card space, a coin purse on the outside, deep bill pocket. It's fairly large though and definitely not for minimalists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users