4 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:05 AM

Title says it all... I’m looking for a small ( think streamlight microstream small ) flashlight for edc use. I own a thorfire VG-15S and feel it’s too big for pocket carry , it’s also lacks the usb charging I’m wanting. Tail click operation is preferred but I may be open to a different style and pocket clip is a must. I know streamlight has the new usb microstream but they also say you can only recharge 300 times. That’s fine if you can replace the battery with a standard lithium ( store bought ) for back up, but I haven’t found any information saying that is possible. Looking forward to hearing what you all suggest!

#2 Ed

Ed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

I had a Nitecore Tube on my keys but I found it was not too durable.  Over the last few years the battery leads broke inside the light three times and the last time they took out the circuitry.  I know someone else with the same light and she's I plan to purchase this for a small pocket light:  MecArmy X4S.  It uses small 10180 cells, as do many other similar lights.  This one has the head remain captive when charging so it does not get lost.

If you want something a little bigger, I am very happy with the UltraTac K18,  It is AAA sized, and can be purchased with a 10440 Li-ion battery and a tiny USB charger that screws on in place of the flashlight head.  It is about 0.5" by 3".  I carry this every day and it sounds like what you are looking for.

I have the VG15S and like it.  If you want that kind of brightness and flood but want a shorter light, there is the 18350 cell format.  It is the same diameter as an 18650 but about half as long.  But, I agree, this is a little large for day to day pocket carry. 

#3 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

I got myself a Klarus Mini One, which is quite the same as the Mecarmy. Fits perfectly on my keychain and does a very descent job. You can recharge it via micro usb and the cap doesn‘t get lost. Bright with its 120lumen to see everything in the dark. Seems also right rugged to withstand daily tasks. Only thing it doesnt have a clip.

#4 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Heard back from Streamlight recently about my question for the battery on the new microstream usb light and figured I’d share what I now know in case anyone else stumbles on this wondering the same thing I did. The light will not accept standard AAA batteries and they also ( as with most companies) only support the use of Streamlights included battery with the light.

#5 Zhang Richard

Zhang Richard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

UltraTac K18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users