moleskine?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Luke

Luke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

I was wondering why Moleskine is not a more popular carry. Are the others more durable? I have been using a moleskine at work for years with no troubles. Moleskines are easy for me to obtain as well so i tend to so that route.  Just curious thanks 

• Andrew likes this

#2 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

I always carried them. Dependable and the replacements are easily sourced. The Pilot G2 ink is great on them, doesn't smear if you give it a second. The bigger ones are better for bag carry but the little ones are perfect for the pocket.

#3 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

I've had a little Moleskine for a few years and always enjoy using it.  I think some people maybe prefer field notes etc. because of the soft cover making it more flexible in the pocket.  I haven't tried one yet though.

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#4 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Depending on the way I'm carrying (pockets or bag), I may go with something larger like a Moleskin.  If it's a quick trip out and about, something slim and flexible like Field Notes, can easily go in my front pocket. 

#5 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

Only notebooks I use. Keep a large one at home, a smaller hardcover for work and a super small softcover usually goes in my back pocket with my hanky.
  • Teeritz and kwelsh like this

#6 Dylan Richards

Dylan Richards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

I've loved Moleskines for years, but I'm always faced with the damnable frustration of loving the hard covers but needing something more pocketable (the soft cover Moleskines never hold up for me). Thinking about a small Field Notes for my pocket.

#7 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

I had never heard of Moleskine (and Field Notes either) until I found this EDC site in Dec.  I bought a 3-pack softcover set at Chapters/Indigo during Christmas shopping.  So far so good, fits in the back pocket to carry.  I tend not to leave it in my pocket during the day, and it sits in front of my monitor...easy access to jot reminders.

#8 Sterling

Sterling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationYoungsville, NC

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

I use a hardcover at work, and have a softcover I am currently using at work, but not sure I am going to continue using the softcover, I want more removable sheets. To be honest, I have not looked all that hard, though. I also have a tiny softcover I keep in my backpack for really quick notes.

#9 John Frank Slobodian

John Frank Slobodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

I swear by moleskine for all my notebooks, I really like the field notes because they're so small so I carry them everywhere, but for the notebooks definitely moleskine cahier.

#10 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

Many of the Moleskines are available in soft-cover versions too. My EDC includes a large (13x21cm) notebook and a matching 18-month agenda. Normally I have a small pen and pencil inside the notebook and agenda respectively, which is not possible with the hard cover version.

#11 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

I'm just too cheap to carry Moleskines.  :lol:

Seriously, though... I've nothing against Moleskine, the Rite in the Rain books are just better suited to my usual work environments.

• Punisher likes this

#12 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

By the way, does anyone know if Moleskine makes a product similar to Rite in the Rain?  I've been told that Field Notes has a coated-paper product, and my local Container Store has some Rhodia books with plastic covers-- nothing with coated paper that I've seen, but more durable than card covers.

#13 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

I don't think so but check out http://www.moleskine.com/en/ to be sure.

#14 Hugo Luis Costa

Hugo Luis Costa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPortugal, Lisboa

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:28 AM

I use moleskins for years and I just love them.

I have a notebook at the office and I always carry a pocket version one with me.

Here in Portugal unfortunatly there are cheaper options.

That is why they aren't more popular.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#15 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

I use the Small and Medium evernote Moleskine books for work and home all the time. Usually i keep one of each in the work bag with a spare or two sitting around at home

• Hugo Luis Costa likes this

#16 M Travis Shelley

M Travis Shelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

I use a Moleskine for my Bullet Journal ( www.bulletjournal.com if you're curious), but as others have said, the hardcover rules except for daily carry.  I keep in my Semper Bag, and am experimenting with a sidestaple Rite in the Rain for pocketing and literal field notes.  Anything with a coil is directly from Satan himself.

Semper Paratuse68bdee2-c306-4365-ba3d-d7d742098d83_zpsSic Semper Tyrannis

#17 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:21 AM

Moleskins are dependable notebooks. I think you see field notes more because they are the cheaper option and have really caught on because you see them more often in edc posts. Also the very visible name on each notebook is also a very appealing one to the community. Who doesnt like an edc notebook called field notes?

#18 Teeritz

Teeritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:17 AM

I always carry a small passport-sized softcover Moleskine. When I find them, I snap up a few Field Notes (for their old-school charm). Either one is suitable for my uses and they are both fairly fountain pen friendly too.

#19 Myles

Myles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

I have a few different sizes of Moleskines, and I find them to be pretty good for what I need. People say that Rhodia and other notebooks are higher quality, but honestly I'm just going to scribble down something I need to remember and rip it out before I jam the notebook back in my pocket, so having the highest quality isn't my number one priority.

#20 kwelsh

kwelsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

I've gone with the smaller moleskins for my daily note taking. Since I can obtain them locally from Barnes and nobles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users