#1 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

I was thinking about buying some bluetooth headphones so I could stop worrying about dangling cords, so I figured I'd ask the EDC community for some recommendations.

I'm not looking for audiophile quality, nor am I looking for a cheap set - just something with reasonably good sound at a decent price. Also, something with a microphone, so it can handle calls as well.

These days, there are so may brands and sellers popping up, it's hard to tell which are quality products and which are garbage, so if anyone who has a pair could make a recommendation, it would be most helpful and appreciated.

• Jonathan Smyth likes this

#2 Ian C Medina

Ian C Medina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

I tested a bunch of BT headphones in my quest to find one that suited me:

• Beats Studio Wireless
  • Plantronics Backbeat Go 2
  • Jabra Rox Wireless
  • Jabra Sport Wireless
  • Photive BTX6
  • Jabra Revo Wireless
  • Yurbuds Inspire LE BT
  • Bose Soundlink On-Ear

I wound up settling on the Jabra Revo Wireless because of the great build quality and the passive seal the earcups make on my ears. They also fold up in a nicely and fit in my tiny messenger bag. I got them for a really good deal at $99 and I would have been crazy to pass them up at that price.

I also kept the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 for use while running or working out in the gym. The charging case really helps extend the battery life of the earphones and help protect them in my ratty gym bag.

Sound quality is excellent and since the Revos and the Go 2's both create a decent seal around or in the ears bass is fantastic.

Sure there are cheaper units out there that aren't built as well or don't sound as great, but if you plan to keep these up to 3 years (battery life doesn't last forever) you might as well have some quality both in build and sound.

• Mel R. likes this

#3 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:36 PM

I use August EP650 headphones from Amazon. The sound quality is decent, the build could be better but they've survived a year of abuse in my bag, and, they're very reasonably priced.
  • Mel R. likes this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#4 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

Great suggestions so far. Would still like to hear more from others to get as many options as possible :D

#5 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

I think the two highest quality bluetooth headphones would be the Parrot Zik and the Sennhieser momentum wireless, but I think those are very expensive. They look pretty Baller tho.  

• Stupendous Walrus and Mel R. like this

#6 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

+1 on Sennheiser. They never failed me at home, in the recordin studio or on the radio. I'm also a big fan of AKG. They're currently my at home headphones. Check out the K 845BT.
  • Mel R. likes this

#7 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:41 AM

+1 on Sennheiser. They never failed me at home, in the recordin studio or on the radio. I'm also a big fan of AKG. They're currently my at home headphones. Check out the K 845BT.

Sennheiser has been my go-to headphone brand for over 10 years, AKG get a great name too!

I'm cautious about spending too much on headphones using a wireless technology that could be obsolete in a few years, and as Ian said, has non-replaceable batteries.  One option I might go for, although a tad clunky, is to buy a nice set of phones with a modular jack lead, and attach a lightweight battery powered Bluetooth A2DP receiver (like this) on the inside of the band.  If Bluetooth goes the way of the dodo or the battery craps out, I've still got a usable pair of phones; I can even upgrade the wireless receiver to whatever the next technology is.

(I'm a DIY scrounger though lol)

• Stupendous Walrus and Mel R. like this

#8 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

Sennheiser has been my go-to headphone brand for over 10 years, AKG get a great name too!

I'm cautious about spending too much on headphones using a wireless technology that could be obsolete in a few years, and as Ian said, has non-replaceable batteries.  One option I might go for, although a tad clunky, is to buy a nice set of phones with a modular jack lead, and attach a lightweight battery powered Bluetooth A2DP receiver (like this) on the inside of the band.  If Bluetooth goes the way of the dodo or the battery craps out, I've still got a usable pair of phones; I can even upgrade the wireless receiver to whatever the next technology is.

I'm cautious too, which is why I was looking for something that wasn't too expensive. However, I hadn't thought of using a bluetooth receiver with a good corded pair. That's an excellent idea, and I will certainly be considering it. Thanks Glen.

• Glen likes this

#9 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

I am super happy with AKG. Due to budget constraints, I went with a pair instead of Sennheiser a year or so ago and I am perfectly happy thus far. I've started using them while recording guitars for some tracks I'm doing and they've been spectacular.

I'm with Glen when it comes to wire vs. wireless headphones. Even with external speakers, I'm a bit leary of the bluetooth idea. Just an unfounded feeling I have. I like to be attached.
  • Glen and Mel R. like this

#10 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

I am super happy with AKG. Due to budget constraints, I went with a pair instead of Sennheiser a year or so ago and I am perfectly happy thus far. I've started using them while recording guitars for some tracks I'm doing and they've been spectacular.

I'm with Glen when it comes to wire vs. wireless headphones. Even with external speakers, I'm a bit leary of the bluetooth idea. Just an unfounded feeling I have. I like to be attached.

I was mainly thinking of having a wireless pair to listen to music and answer calls when I'm driving equipment long distances. The head units are woefully inadequate in the tractors, and having the wire from the headphones ends to get in the way while driving.

I am really favoring Glen's idea of using a bluetooth receiver with a corded pair, as the cord doesn't bother me for general listening, and I could use the same headphones on the road.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#11 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:53 AM

Understood. If it helps, the cord on the AKG model I have, which I think were roughly $150 CAD is about 4 ft. long. I've never had an issue so far, even in tight corners with patch cables etc all kicking around.
  • Mel R. likes this

#12 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:08 AM

Here's a roundup from The Verge I forgot about: http://www.theverge....less-headphones

• Mel R. likes this

#13 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

Here's a roundup from The Verge I forgot about: http://www.theverge....less-headphones

Fantastic!  Thanks, Glen.

#14 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:29 PM

I was thinking about buying some bluetooth headphones so I could stop worrying about dangling cords, so I figured I'd ask the EDC community for some recommendations.

I'm not looking for audiophile quality, nor am I looking for a cheap set - just something with reasonably good sound at a decent price. Also, something with a microphone, so it can handle calls as well.

These days, there are so may brands and sellers popping up, it's hard to tell which are quality products and which are garbage, so if anyone who has a pair could make a recommendation, it would be most helpful and appreciated.

Hey, take a look at Earin. They're really cool! http://www.earin.com/

• Mel R. likes this

#15 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

Hey, take a look at Earin. They're really cool! http://www.earin.com/

The Earins do look cool. Looks like they'll be getting a competitor on their hands - just came across "Nextear" on Indiegogo for $119. Same concept, but looks like the charging case does a bit more (built in charger for your phone, led light, usb storage). Pretty cool:

• Mason Delpino likes this

#16 Tom Henderson

Tom Henderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

I've got three BT options in my EDC:

1. My main pair is a Motorola S305.  I use these about 6 hours/day, mainly listening to podcasts, but I also enjoy them for music.  They sound decent for the money (~$40), and are really good for phone conversations.  They charge quickly, and last for about 12 hours of use.  They're very comfortable.  Their downside is that they are a bit bulky.
  2. My secondary pair is a Soundpeats QY7.  I bought these for running, but discovered immediately that the sound of my running was too loud.  However, they are great for commuting via mass transit, and for louder environments where I want to focus on an audio source (example: watching a TV show in a Chipotle at lunch).  They aren't as comfortable as the Motorola ones, but are much smaller.
  3. Finally, I have a Smartbean that I use for running.  It's a BT receiver that I can plug any headset into.  Very convenient, and flexible.

If I had to go with just one of those, I would do that Smartbean.

• Glen likes this

#17 Trn Thng

Trn Thng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

One of the Bluetooth headphones for running I have used LG Tone Ultra (HBS-800). . With the great battery life up to 15 hours for music, a nice design and good sound. So i think it is the best choice for using.

#18 Tony Burns

Tony Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

I'm very happy with my JayBird BlueBuds. I've had them for a few months now and use them a lot for running (both treadmill and outdoors). Having BT headphones has really been a game changer for me. I'm not sure if this holds true for other earbuds/BT earbuds, but when I was doing my research for these, everyone seemed to suggest not using the included tips and using Comply Tips instead (the linked T-500 ones are the ones compatible with the BlueBuds). These are the kind of tips that you form down with your fingers first and then expand once they're inside your ear for a snug fit. Runtime on the BlueBuds seems to be about 3-4 hours. I'm not very good at describing audio quality but I usually listen with these on about 75% volume with no noticeable artifacts.

uqeEMfzl.jpg

T10 for scale

• Mikey Bautista likes this

#19 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

I use a Sennheiser MM400X for audio and calls. Sound quality is good but callers sometimes struggle to hear me speak if I am in a noisy place. For flying the set includes a cable plus an adapter if you want to use the in-flight entertainment system as the source. All with a handy carry case. Unsurprisingly these are not cheap.

Power source is a proprietary Sennheiser design which charges via micro-USB cable. Life is reasonable but there is no way of checking the charge so I carry a spare. This is where my only criticism of the design comes: the battery needs a good pull to come out and the rubber flap intended to hide the socket soon breaks. I have found that the best was to remove it is insert a charging cable and pull at an angle.

Note, there is a more expensive version, MM450X, which includes noise cancellation.

#20 tffk11

tffk11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

I highly recommend the MPOW Cheetahs Bluetooth headphones. I found them on Amazon for like $30, and they are really amazing. I tried Jabra Sport, Bluebuds X, Yurbuds, and other units way over $100, but the Cheetahs fit me better than all of them. Great for working out, great battery life (several hours), lightweight, and at $30, I don't really stress out about losing them or anything. plus they sound great I think.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Headphones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users