Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

So I recently discovered that balisongs are indeed

legal in my state, as long as they're not concealed :rolleyes:

Does anyone actively EDC a balisong? I know they're

obviously not the most efficient of knives but they're

frickin' awesome in my opinion. I am not very knowledgeable

about the brands; I know Benchmade makes fantastic

balisongs, but I wouldn't be able to dish out that money

any time soon. What are some other notable brands?

• Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

honestly, they suck at just about everything but stabbing, and being a complete novelty. That aside, I have a couple of them, and they're great fun to flip around. Just buy whatever suits you, knowing it's a novelty, not a usable tool…..Unless you plan on Ninja stabbing someone!  :o

• Mel R., Chris Szaroleta and Dave M like this

#3 Dave M

Dave M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

Of course I know any heavy cutting would require

a more efficient and reliable knife, but it would be for

smaller tasks like opening letters and etcetera.

You're definitely right in the fact that they are 100%

a novelty; you can find more efficient knives for A LOT

cheaper than a butterfly- but does that mean they

couldn't be used as EDC?

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

I'm guilty of being kind of blunt when I speak. I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm crapping on what you want personally as an EDC. And in the end, ANY blade is a hell of a lot better than NO blade! I guess I would suggest that you pick up a middle of the road, reasonably priced butterfly, and have a ball. Stick it in a pocket or a bag, and enjoy the hell out of it. If you find it works good for your needs over time, jump in and go for a Benchmade! If you find it's not all you thought it would be as an EDC tool, then you still have a little dough to invest in a good EDC knife, and as a bonus, a fun toy to play with. I swear I just about wore holes in my hand playing with the first cheap one I bought. I think my last one was a Bear. 

#5 Dave M

Dave M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

I'm guilty of being kind of blunt when I speak. I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm crapping on what you want personally as an EDC. And in the end, ANY blade is a hell of a lot better than NO blade! I guess I would suggest that you pick up a middle of the road, reasonably priced butterfly, and have a ball. Stick it in a pocket or a bag, and enjoy the hell out of it. If you find it works good for your needs over time, jump in and go for a Benchmade! If you find it's not all you thought it would be as an EDC tool, then you still have a little dough to invest in a good EDC knife, and as a bonus, a fun toy to play with. I swear I just about wore holes in my hand playing with the first cheap one I bought. 

Yeah, I definitely want something that won't break

the bank so I can test it out for a month as an EDC

and keep it as a novelty if it doesn't pan out for me.

Now I just need to find some good brands...

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

Even my cheap crappy novelty POS never broke on me. I might have paid all of $15 for it. The Bear I got afterwards was maybe $40? It's actually pretty nice. 

#7 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, I definitely want something that won't break

the bank so I can test it out for a month as an EDC

and keep it as a novelty if it doesn't pan out for me.

Now I just need to find some good brands...

That was sort of the approach I took when I got a karambit - wanted something decent to try it out (mainly for work), something that wasn't cheap or would break, but didn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Chris Szaroleta and Dave M like this

#8 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 715 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

Balisongs from good brands with clips are a bit rare, so for EDCing you're going to need a sheath or a way for it to be easily accessible in your pocket.

They're very fun knives to play with, but what are you after, really? Like coldwater, I too have a generic $10 stainless steel balisong that I use to practice flipping, though a dedicated trainer or blunt one would be better. Such a knife would be inexpensive yet still be decent at basic cutting tasks. If you're just after flipping there are much safer/harmless balisong-type flippers out there, like the ones that deploy a comb or bottle opener, or even Spyderco's own BaliYo.

Would I pay for a Benchmade balisong? Probably not, the price IMO doesn't justify what you get for its utility. If I had unlimited disposable income and I want a super-high quality balisong to collect and buy for life, then maybe. B)

#9 Dave M

Dave M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Balisongs from good brands with clips are a bit rare, so for EDCing you're going to need a sheath or a way for it to be easily accessible in your pocket.

They're very fun knives to play with, but what are you after, really? Like coldwater, I too have a generic $10 stainless steel balisong that I use to practice flipping, though a dedicated trainer or blunt one would be better. Such a knife would be inexpensive yet still be decent at basic cutting tasks. If you're just after flipping there are much safer/harmless balisong-type flippers out there, like the ones that deploy a comb or bottle opener, or even Spyderco's own BaliYo.

Would I pay for a Benchmade balisong? Probably not, the price IMO doesn't justify what you get for its utility. If I had unlimited disposable income and I want a super-high quality balisong to collect and buy for life, then maybe. B)

I have heard of the BaliYo; I am interested in having one as both a pen

and possible learning tool- but I want to graduate to a sharp balisong

to use for actual cutting in my EDC. Apparently, Bear & Son makes

medium-priced balisongs, but I'm not experienced with the brand nor

do I know exactly how I want the balisong in terms of screws vs. pins

or weight.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#10 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 715 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

I have heard of the BaliYo; I am interested in having one as both a pen

and possible learning tool- but I want to graduate to a sharp balisong

to use for actual cutting in my EDC. Apparently, Bear & Son makes

medium-priced balisongs, but I'm not experienced with the brand nor

do I know exactly how I want the balisong in terms of screws vs. pins

or weight.

Well as with all knives what you're paying for in the higher tiers is better steel and construction. My cheapo balisong had blade play the moment I flipped it once, for example, and of course had very cheap, very rust-prone stainless steel. I've seen many, many cheap balisongs lose one screw or other or just plain fall apart when dropped onto concrete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users