6 replies to this topic

#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

I have my GEC calf pen that is a mainstay in my pocket, but want something to beat on, or to not feel too bad about if someone borrows it and messes it up, or if I lose it (set my GEC down at work and forgot about it...nearly shit when I couldn't find it at first).

Looking at the tenacious, rat 1 (have a rat 2 and love it), possibly an endura (a little expensive for my intended use/purpose), or maybe a Kershaw cryo. Any suggestions in the CHEAP price range?

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#2 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Rat 1 in D2. Perfect for what you want.
  • Moose and KlaudeMarks like this

#3 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

I was thinking that. I was really impressed with the AUS 8 on the rat 2, so I'll assume they do a good job on the D2 also.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

They do. The D2 holds an edge longer but is a bit more difficult to sharpen. I have both, you can’t go wrong with either. If a pocket clip isn’t needed I would also recommend a Buck 110 it is also a serious knife and well priced.
  • Moose likes this

#5 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Rat 1 in D2 is a winner. I would love to get a Buck 110 with drop point blade and no 'lock-rock'.  That would be a looovely beasty;-) 

But good alternatives in my mind are the Ganzo/Firebird G720 or my current favourite Ganzo, the G738. 

They are cheap as chips and tough as old boots (as we say on this side of the pond).

#6 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:57 AM

I'm actually looking at the Esee Avispa D2, which is similar to the rat 1. I just wanted a coated, D2 blade with no serrations. I'll give a look to the Ganzo

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#7 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:27 AM

I'm actually looking at the Esee Avispa D2, which is similar to the rat 1. I just wanted a coated, D2 blade with no serrations. I'll give a look to the Ganzo

The ESEE Avispa is a similar knife because ESEE and Randall’s Adventure Training (RAT) are one and the same. The RAT series knives made by okc used to carry the Randalls Adventure Training logo on em.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users