4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

I saw something like this on an Kim Du Toit's old blog, and thought it was fun to ponder and choose.

What if you were transported back through time circa 1700's and told you were to go alone across what is now the continental US? You may take any two firearms from any time period, any two knives from any time period, any two animals. You would be supplied with a five to seven day pack out of food water a saw, a shovel, a pick/mattock, rope, two canteens and some basic cooking and eating gear(not weighing more than 5lbs). Additionally you would have 500 rounds per firearm for the trip.

What: firearms, knives, animals would you choose for the trek?

What else would you want to bring?

Please include a one or two sentence explanation for each choice made.

#2 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:05 AM

Do I get a Delorean and a hoverboard too?

(sorry for being snarky... I couldn't resist)

Too large a problem to solve completely in a short time... but, for me, based on my life experience, firearms experience, and the proposition that I get free ammo for each firearm, I'd go with my MechTech Glock 20 PCC, my Glock 40. my Henry Survival Rifle, and my LCP II for protection, with appropriate ammo (likely part of which would be hard cast 220 grain full power 10mm ammo for hunting larger game (or predators...); I would include some form of functional reloading equipment and concomitant supplies; my hand made hunting knife from a family friend, along with my 3 Kershaw knives of different sizes and shapes.

As far as animals go, I don't know. I've never had a hunting dog... in fact all I've had is a Papillon and a house cat... So, I'd say I'd have a well trained hunting dog of an appropriate breed... and an outdoor cat of comfortable disposition.

Of course, I would bring the skills required to build a life for myself and my family and friends within the prescribed setting. Camping, homesteading, plumbing, welding, smelting, mining, cooking, sewing, medicine, electronics, etc. Or, a kindle containing lessons to that effect along with sufficient battery packs to sustain the power until I could build a power source to charge it... probably from potatoes ;>).

#3 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Oh that’s an awesome idea. I’m basing my choices on the notion I get to come back to present time after the journey and not stay in the 1700’s

Short barrel AK for defense and Rem 870 12 gauge for food procurement and back up defense. Mixed lot of shot/slug for my 500rds

Knifes would be a folder with a skinner and a something that could pass as a boning knife. then a larger camp knife that could do some heavy butcher skills and bushcraft type work.

The animals are a tough choice. Definitely a mule or horse that could pull a small trailer for one. A dog would be awesome companionship. A well trained velociraptor would be kinda cool. I think I’ll go with the dog.

Other items:
Fire kit
Shelter system
Compass(s)/maps
Filtration system (boiling would get old on the move)
Tool kit for repairs of gear
Native American Translation Book for dummies
Trade items
A metric shit ton of cordage
Extra clothing
Harmonica or mouth harp

That list could go on and on....

#4 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:07 PM

Oh that’s an awesome idea. I’m basing my choices on the notion I get to come back to present time after the journey and not stay in the 1700’s
Short barrel AK for defense and Rem 870 12 gauge for food procurement and back up defense. Mixed lot of shot/slug for my 500rds
Knifes would be a folder with a skinner and a something that could pass as a boning knife. then a larger camp knife that could do some heavy butcher skills and bushcraft type work.
The animals are a tough choice. Definitely a mule or horse that could pull a small trailer for one. A dog would be awesome companionship. A well trained velociraptor would be kinda cool. I think I’ll go with the dog.
Other items:
Fire kit
Shelter system
Compass(s)/maps
Filtration system (boiling would get old on the move)
Tool kit for repairs of gear
Native American Translation Book for dummies
Trade items
A metric shit ton of cordage
Extra clothing
Harmonica or mouth harp
That list could go on and on....

Oh man that's Pandora's box you've just opened.
Possibilities are endless.
But I'll swap the AK for my 20" AR, and a the Rem 870 for a Mossberg 590a1, which mounts a bayonet
Then there's the need for a cleaning kit, and Multi tool. Finally there's going to be a need for an IFAK. With an additional RATS tourniquet.
Benchmade Barrage and Nimravus for blades and possibly a tomahawk for firewood.
To carry it all a good old fashioned rucksack and FLC.
Dog and a horse.
Red lens adapted flashlight,
Helmet & Night vision, and requisite batteries.
550cord and extra socks.
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#5 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

Gun choices make sense. Addition of a mule for supplies hauling and a dog are good too. I chose a Ruger No1, in 308 Win full stocked, and a 1911.  A Leatherman Wave or Crunch and a custom, full tang field knife, swedish saw, ample med kit(including some veterinary items), canvas, leather and cloth sewing kit. other misc items too.

Among them:

• Shovel or E-tool
  • Spare parts for the firearms - small selection of parts to keep the guns going
  • Cleaning and lube kits for guns - a tin of Ballistol, a small can of UltraLube grease, Otis wire type cleaning rod, patch tip, .30 and .45 cal brushes, one brass pistol cleaning rod, 2 US military weapons cleaning brushes, silicone cloth, patches and some scrap cloth for cleaning.
  • A trail hawk
  • Health and comfort items - bug spray, sun block etc.
  • Spare clothing suited to a harsh environment - spare boots
  • Writing gear for a diary and other uses
  • Two or three LED flashights w/ spare batteries
  • Three piece US military sleeping gear - w/Gore-tex bivvy bag and foam ground mat
  • poncho and liner
  • Toilet articles and towel, small mirror
  • Vitamin supplements,
  • Candles - 24
  • Books - Bible and Angier's 'Survival With Style"
  • Pocket knife - Swiss Army type or US stainless util knife
  • Two blanket canteens and three US polymer canteens
  • Water purification kit - Katadyn
  • Binoculars - medium size
  • Perhaps a 22rimfile Conversion kit for the 1911 and 100 rds .22LR
  • Two pairs of gloves
  • Wide brim hat and watch cap
  • Sunglasses and spare set
  • Stove kit - tommy cooker w/ 4 boxes of Heximine blocks, for when fire-building is not feasible
  • Fire making kit - lighter, flint and steel, matches, tinder, candle
  • Topo maps and two compasses - Suunto MB-6 military, and an orienteering compass
  • Manila rope - 100 ft, 550 cord 200 ft
  • Alice pack w/extra pouches and two or three canvass duffle bags to load on the mule
  • Shelter kit - tarp, stakes, lines, ground sheet
  • Food supplies for a week or two - flour, salt, cornmeal, bacon, jerky, 10 MRE's, tea bags, coffee in packets, 1 small skillet and one small cooking/boiling pot. Knife, fork, spoon for eating, or a Canadian FRED.Some dog chow and treats if a dog is taken.
  • Fishing kit - drop line type with some basic lures, hooks, lead sinkers etc
  • Snare wires
  • Barter/gift  items - limited number of small steel knives, beads, gold, etc

Most of the gear can be packed on a mule and the choice of a dog may be superseded by having an additional mule for gear and food. Not much shelter building gear in my pack-out list, but an additional mule could allow for more tools for more permanent sheltering..... if necessary.

Some of the above will not last the whole trip but hunting, fabrication, repair and improvisation will  help.

I think the trip would take  year or more, factoring in rest time, natural hazards, hostile threats, illness, injury and the time it takes to hunt, and fish for additional food, and of course, the X factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users