Why do you carry a knife

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

I use different knives for different jobs. Chef’s knife, after years in the kitchen I own ten or so. Different blade shapes do different things well. Personally my favorite is the Wüsthof Classic 8” chef’s knife. The curve is perfect the the work you need it to do. I do some spoon carving and have some Mora laminated carbon steel blades I use for that. Different shapes and sizes for different kinds of carving. I have more pocket knives than I care to count that have clip point, spear point, drop point, tanto point, sheeps foot, and other shapes.

These shapes exist for a reason. Drop points preserve as much width for as long as possible, making the point of the knife stronger. Clip points narrow the blade dramatically so the tip is better for fine work, spear points are designed to improve penetration in stabbing, not something I find useful in daily life, tanto points exist because Tamahagane is crap steel, sheeps foot allows even, thin slices to be peeled off with the entire length of the blade, other shapes have other uses.

Modern types tend to obsess a lot about type of steel and not shape of the blade. If you use your knife for general stuff a drop point does most things well, few if any exceptionally. Clip points mean you can get the point into precise places for fine work. Attached to a full width blade it makes a knife that does fine work well and bigger jobs well.

When you look at what you use your edc knife for on the daily, are you using the right knife? I’ve got a clip point and a drop point on me most of the time. I open boxes, cut stuff at lunch, cut string, etc.

Part of reducing your therbligs is using the right tool for the job.

#2 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

I think for the tasks you mentioned, which I believe is a common array of tasks for us EDC guys, most any pocket knife is suitable. I really like the Wharncliffe on my GEC calf pen I've been carrying, which has another blade I may use for cutting food. So as for blade shape, most any of them will do my daily tasks with similar results.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#3 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

For so many different uses both real and imagined. IMO it is the single most important part of my EDC; so I carry a fixed blade and a folder. The back up is on the Leatherman.

A good portion of my day is spent afield installing and using equipment. On any given day I use my Candiru to:

Open packaging
Cut tape and cordage
Make small wooden wedges/shims
Lunch prep (food and fire)
Trim and clean under fingernails
Carve wood when waiting or bored
Soil analysis
Tree ID (bark dissection)

How many Dads out there?
-remove itchy tags from clothing because I keep it razor sharp
-in my pajama pockets on Christmas morning
Etc

I’ve even had purpose bought cheap knives to dump into the trash just before going into TSA checkpoint so I had something to use during travel.
  • Moose likes this

#4 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:15 AM

Because I like them. And because I don't like to have to tear things open with my teeth, or a fingernail, like an animal. It's better to use a knife, like a civilized person.

Don't make the mistake I've made, of caring about blade shape. Once I got picky about the steel, the shape, the grind, the blade length - it narrowed my options. Woe is me.

#5 uniquepattern

uniquepattern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBarrie Ontario Canada

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

I typically carry a boker exskelibur (I have a few variations of this knife) and find it great for most of my daily tasks... Once in a while its simply not the correct knife to use for the situation, but overall it works well for me. The blade has a beautiful grind for slicing tasks...

• Moose likes this

#6 Frank Waldron

Frank Waldron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

I grew up in the south, in the woods.  A knife was pretty much an essential item that everyone in my hometown carried.  Now I'm an adult and unfortunately living in the city (how do people do it), but I still carry a knife with me everyday for any task that I may encounter.  

• Moose and uniquepattern like this

#7 Todd

Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Generally, to cut stuff open.  However, the possibility exists that I may have to cut off a seatbelt etc.  I have been a witness to several automobile accidents, including roll overs (one time a big rig rollover) over the years.  

• Moose likes this

#8 Kyle Noble

Kyle Noble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:42 AM

I carry a blade because for some reason it’s frowned upon when I use my ccw pistol to open packages in public.

#9 Bruce H

Bruce H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

The knife I carry with me every day is the Victorinox Midnite Manager and it's blade it is mostly used to open packages, flatten boxes,cut cable ties, peel oranges and things like that.

My strategy is to keep the contents of my pockets to the smallest and lightest things that will still do all the tasks I need to do when I am walking around and leave other tasks which have greater demands to tools which live in a specific location.

So when I am at work the toolbox I carry contains a lock back knife, a razor knife, flush cutters, dikes, etc.. Knives for food prep a things like nail clippers always live in the place at home where they are used, unless I am on vacation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users