16 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Tracksler

Adam Tracksler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:25 AM

I may be in need of a second car soon. I'm a tall guy who HATES car shopping, the only person who hates it more than me is the wife. 

Since I'm tall (6'4") and have a long torso, headroom is a deal breaker, and I hate going to dealerships and asking if I can just sit in a car to see if I fit....

We have a Honda Element, which is great. We both love it, but used prices of these have jumped in the past few years... So I'm looking at other possibilities.

Not interested in buying anything new, I have no desire to have a car payment in any shape or form. My max budget is @$6k. It will be a commuting car, so it has to be good on the gas, and since I'm in Maine, it HAS to be good in the snow.

So fellow tall guys, what have you tried that you liked, or even what have you hated?

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#2 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

I was gonna suggest a Dodge charger, thats what I drive (i'm around the same height as you).  It has sooo much  head room and foot space.   I just dont think you'll find one with the budget you have.  

#3 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

I'm too short to have a first hand opinion for space...but here's some thoughts (take with a grain of salt since I'm 5'7") based on my ownership & experience:

Based on your price range and needs, have you considered a 4wd pickup truck? Something the size of a Ford F150. Fairly inexpensive to own/maintain. Reasonably good in snow with 4wd. Not a fuel efficient vehicle though. I've had plenty of tall guys in my trucks with sufficient room. As a second car, pickups are great...it's easy to get your money's worth...you'll find reasons to use a truck even if you've never had one.

Just my 2.5 cents ;)

#4 Adam Tracksler

Adam Tracksler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

We used to have a truck, I miss it for my own moving/hauling needs, I don't miss being called every weekend to help other folks move.. :)

• Dom and Chris Szaroleta like this

#5 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

We used to have a truck, I miss it for my own moving/hauling needs, I don't miss being called every weekend to help other folks move.. :)

Haha yep! Simultaneously a pro and con for owning a truck. I sold my last truck last year...it's sorely missed.

#6 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

I'm too short to have a first hand opinion for space...but here's some thoughts (take with a grain of salt since I'm 5'7") ...

Me too.  I feel....... rightsized, not short.  Though I wouldn't hate having about three more inches.  The top shelf wouldn't be quite so far away.   :P

#7 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

Tall guy car!

unnamed_zpsafaba83a.jpg

#8 Adam Tracksler

Adam Tracksler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

Any tall guys try out a mini?

#9 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

I am 6'3" and have an accord and a camry.the accord is adequate but the camry has plenty of head room. Our camry is at 285K miles and still going. Not sure of used values.

#10 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

I sat in a Mini the first year they came out and I did fit surprisingly. Forget a back seat passenger behind you though.

#11 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

My buddy has a mini, definitely big enough for the front passengers, not so much for the rear.  Don't know how many you could find in your price range. 

#12 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

Mitsubishi Lancer.

I'm 6'3+ long torso and 250lbs+. I've had 2 Mitsubishi lancers for 2 reasons. Quality/reliability and fir for my size. The backseat is still useable in mine now. While more out of your price you want to stay in I have an all wheel drive version now. Front wheel will be ok for rough weather though as the weight is above the powered wheels

#13 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

Dodge Journey. Mid size, great functionality in and out. Not totally sure what the options are price wise with used, but I got a good deal on one a few weeks ago. I'm 6'3", 230lbs and there is leg room for DAYS. So far, it's been a fantastic vehicle.

Aaaand upon checking Autotrader for reference, my suggestion is irrelevent. I'll leave it there for reference's sake as it's a great vehicle.

Depending on what you plan on carting around with you, I have a 1992 Honda Civic that still runs flawlessly, and has a surprising amount of room in it. In the front, plenty of room. Even in the back, it's tolerable to us regular size folk. I got mine for $600 CAD. Again on Autotrader, I found an '04 Civic Sedan going for $5900 in Farmington ME.

Just a thought. The Civic is virtually indestructable. Great vehicles.

• Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#14 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

Dodge Journey. Mid size, great functionality in and out. Not totally sure what the options are price wise with used, but I got a good deal on one a few weeks ago. I'm 6'3", 230lbs and there is leg room for DAYS. So far, it's been a fantastic vehicle.

I'll 2nd the Journey, I bought one last November, and its been a fantastic vehicle.

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#15 Vanessa Kitty

Vanessa Kitty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

I am 6'3 and drove a mini in phoenix and Tucson awhile. Fit wonderfully and I could wear my hats too without touching the ceiling. I would recommend then but their cost seems high.

#16 Franz Karpanov

Franz Karpanov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

Where are you from Adam?

That's an important question because it affect the availability of cars in your market.

I live in italy so I can speak for european cars and don't know if what I'm saying is useful or not. Anyway, I found out that german cars (BMW's or Volkswagen - not the beetle though, I mean modern ones like the Golf) are quite spacious. So if you want a small and cheap to run car maybe you can consider them.

I was in the Mini (the modern one, I mean) and has a lot of room too, by the way.

I have a question about what Vanessa wrote up here: since someone suggested a f-150 or a dodge charger and she says that the Mini is expensive. Is the Mini more expensive than a Dodge Charger in USA?

• Mel R. likes this

#17 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Pick-up trucks, standard or mini are good for tall folk my son is 6'5'' and fits in a Ford F-150 with lots of headroom. The other 'big three' trucks are the same in roominess.

Vans, standard or mini are usually good for tall people.

Jeep Wrangler or if you can find an older Cherokee or Liberty

The Charger I rented two years ago was very roomy for such a low slung car, but my cousin who is 6' 4" fit comfortably in the back seat and was able to cross one leg over the other back there. I have heard the Chrysler 300 is the same way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users