• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

I have a Klean Kanteen I use for when I'm outdoors and I have to say,

the stainless steel is a bit annoying. I have the one that is painted black,

and the black is starting to chip away, leaving specks of paint on my hand

whenever I go to take a drink. I never really mistreated the canteen,

it just naturally happened over time. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten

the Kanteen without the paint, but what the hell. 

Another problem is the condensation that forms around the Kanteen;

if you like to keep canteens in your bag, it can be a problem.

Are your issues mentioned regarding the single-walled Kleen Kanteen? I know those are popular because you can boil water in the container and use them more ruggedly outdoors.  The stainless would be the way to go with those.

I never had any issues with condensation or chips with my vacuum / double-walled black Kleen Kanteen - although my use-case is different. I keep it in a water bottle pocket holder on backpacks or pouches and try to take good care of them. One of my backpacks has an inner water bottle pocket which I've kept it in and they never sweat or resulted in condensation.

#62 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

While they may not be exactly streamlined, anyone thought about these? 

http://www.goat-story.com/

• blackfeathers likes this

#63 blackfeathers

blackfeathers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:17 AM

Very interesting design. At first glance, it looks like you're holding a weapon or something that makes sound. It's funny but I like it - different yet cool. Although it might get annoying cleaning the bottom pointed tip of the mug especially for neat freaks. But, it's a good thing they don't make one out of ivory tusks.

#64 John Tyler

John Tyler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

This is what I've used for year, throw it in my motorcycle saddle bag and off to work I go.  Coffee stays hot for hours.

http://www.amazon.co... nissan thermax

#65 Adam Morris

Adam Morris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

I have a Klean Kanteen Water bottle (no insulation) and condensation is definitely an issue.

I also have a Hydro flask. I have no issue with the temperature it keeps hot things at, except it is too hot... I make tea with boiling water and if I use a Hydro flask it stays too hot to drink for my entire (2 hour) commute. The flip top has a few too many little nooks for my liking, but it is easier to clean than my previous OXO Good Grips travel mug. That one was insulated enough, sealed well, but was way too hard to clean well.

My dad used to have a zojirushi flask and that was amazing.

I would prefer something that fits well in car cup holders, keeps stuff hot long enough for me to drink it, seals well, and is easy to clean. The Holy Grail of travel mugs.

#66 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Take a look at Contigo. They work well for my requirements which sound similar to yours.

I have a Klean Kanteen Water bottle (no insulation) and condensation is definitely an issue.
I also have a Hydro flask. I have no issue with the temperature it keeps hot things at, except it is too hot... I make tea with boiling water and if I use a Hydro flask it stays too hot to drink for my entire (2 hour) commute. The flip top has a few too many little nooks for my liking, but it is easier to clean than my previous OXO Good Grips travel mug. That one was insulated enough, sealed well, but was way too hard to clean well.
My dad used to have a zojirushi flask and that was amazing.
I would prefer something that fits well in car cup holders, keeps stuff hot long enough for me to drink it, seals well, and is easy to clean. The Holy Grail of travel mugs.

#67 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

I like my Hydro Flasks with the flip tops for not leaking and keeping things hot for a reasonable amount of time. The Kleen Kanteens with the "cafe tops" have all leaked. They work well as long as they stay upright, and can keep stuff hot for a couple hours, and warm for quite a while, same as the Hydro Flask. Pre-heating always helps. They will both keep stuff cold ~8 hours. The best I have used so far for heat retention are Nissan flasks and Zojirushi. Like so many things before, the Japanese took and American item (Thermos) and improved upon it-taking the glass lined Thermos bottle and making it out of stainless steel. I also find the newer Thermos brand stuff to be good/decent also for heat retention for soup for lunch boxes, but the short Kleen Kanteen bottle works better. 

For cleaning, use Proxy Carb (Used in the winery I work at for cleaning hoses, glasswares, carboys, etc.) if you can find it, or use some Oxy Clean. Put a small amount (~ 1 teaspoon) Oxy Clean in the vessel, then fill with boiling water and take a bottle brush to it. Rinse really well immediately and dry. If you do not rinse well you get a heavy film. If you drink coffee out of these things, rinse well after the coffee is gone each time, and Oxy Clean once a week. With the exception of glass and porcelain, I don't think there is anything coffee can't permanently embed with smell. And having run 2 coffee houses and been a coffee junkie until ill-health forced me to quit coffee (Dammit!) I have had lots of experience.

#68 Donald McNany

Donald McNany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I got the Stanley insulated travel cup from WalMart. It holds my coffee hot for quite a while. No measured time vs. temperature tests, but it does hold my coffee hotter than my previous basic insulated cups ;)

#69 PNWadventurer

PNWadventurer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

I use one of our Range Mugs, which is leather wrapped around a mason jar.  The best part is the lid seals 100% on the mason jar so you can drink coffee because of the leather insulation.  The only down side is that its a bit bulky for EDC but still an awesome piece.

#70 Luciano

Luciano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

I´ve got a Contigo since 2011 (one of the firsts may be?) not a single drop since then. Unique cons is, as others, you never know when the hot coffe or tea is coming, so always, the first sip of the morning is problematic.

#71 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

I have been very happy with the AVEX Highland AutoSeal travel mug.

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

http://www.trailspac...ravel-mug-20oz/

I have seen a couple of Amazon reviews that spoke to cracked lids, but I have been using mine for two years now with no issues.

#72 PNW Guy

PNW Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

Contigo

#73 CrazyAnsy

CrazyAnsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:09 AM

Travel Mugs - I love insulated travel mug, I can keep my drinks cold/hot for a long time. But I thinks Hydro is a little bit expensive. As for me, I recommend KINGSO on Amazon : KINGSO 17oz Insulated Travel Mug

Maybe you didn't want this design, But it's very nice and easy carry.

Hope this can help you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users