Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

I'm looking to get a gift for someone and I could use

some help deciding what brand to get. I'm looking for

a travel mug you could carry hot tea/coffee in for

the morning to work and have it stay warm throughout

the work day.

The main feature I need is a locking lid; the person I'm

getting this gift for does not want to worry about

the lid accidentally opening and causing a mess.

I've been looking at getting her a Hydro Flask-

does anyone have experience with this brand?

Are there any other notable brands?

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Vanessa Kitty like this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

I'm looking to get a gift for someone and I could use

some help deciding what brand to get. I'm looking for

a travel mug you could carry hot tea/coffee in for

the morning to work and have it stay warm throughout

the work day.

The main feature I need is a locking lid; the person I'm

getting this gift for does not want to worry about

the lid accidentally opening and causing a mess.

I've been looking at getting her a Hydro Flask-

does anyone have experience with this brand?

Are there any other notable brands?

Good luck! I have spent an obscene amount of money over the last few years on worthless thermal mugs. Currently, I have the Hydro flask, and as usual, am not impressed. It'll keep a coffee hot for maybe a half hour before going south on you. In an hour or so, it's warmish. At 25$ it's one of the most expensive I have owned, and ranks low on performance. Despite the screw down lid, it leaks from the flapper on top unless you're diligent in really pressing it down to seal, and even then it's hit or miss. I'm back to looking for another one, and will toss this one in the can when I find one.  This may be a front runner, and probably my next purchase.

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta, Dave and 1 other like this

#3 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Good luck! I have spent an obscene amount of money over the last few years on worthless thermal mugs. Currently, I have the Hydro flask, and as usual, am not impressed. It'll keep a coffee hot for maybe a half hour before going south on you. In an hour or so, it's warmish. At 25$ it's one of the most expensive I have owned, and ranks low on performance. Despite the screw down lid, it leaks from the flapper on top unless you're diligent in really pressing it down to seal, and even then it's hit or miss. I'm back to looking for another one, and will toss this one in the can when I find one.  This may be a front runner, and probably my next purchase.

Jeez, that's upsetting to hear :(

I heard a lot of good things about Hydro Flask-

but then again, they were from people who bought it

for cold drinks instead of hot.

Thanks for suggesting Contigo,

I'll definitely have to look into them.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#4 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hey Dave, I don't have extensive experience with thermos and travel mugs, but any one I've ever had that was worth it's money, was made by the Thermos brand. http://www.amazon.ca...&qid=1427046682

They're not outrageously expensive and as far as my experience goes, they perform to their listed qualities flawlessly.

• Chris Szaroleta and Dave like this

#5 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

This tumbler from Thermos is probably

the one I would buy if I went with Thermos.

It has the tea hook, which would be useful for her-

but I don't think she'd like the push button.

I actually found a very formulated insulation test;

that particular Thermos tumbler was given 3rd place.

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#6 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Cool stuff. Again, I don't have as much experience as some of the folks here would with various thermos brands, but hey, they're actually CALLED Thermos.

#7 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

I don't really have too much to add, but I will say, this is the travel mug I've been using for a long, long time.  I absolutely LOVE it.

tumblr_nlo9pvRifB1u25gmmo1_540.jpg

Travel mugs tend to be a very personal.  People have bought me a couple in the past that I either had to return or (unfortunately) get rid of/donate.  I wanted something insulated that holds a decent amount of coffee, had a screw on lid and a raised lip.  Having a handle was important as well.  This Cool Gear mug met three out of four of my criteria.  It's insulated, holds 20oz, and has a screw on lid and raised lip - when I drink out of it, coffee doesn't spill all over my face, neck and chest - it didn't, however, have a handle.  Then, when stumbling around The Container Store one day, I found the green handle you see pictured!  It does appear as though the handle is no longer being offered, though you might be able to locate one on Ebay.  It's now (for me) the perfect mug.  I found the mug at a discount store called T.J. Maxx, you might have heard of it.  I've never seen another that's 20oz.  The ones they still produce are 15oz.  Anyway, I love this thing so much.  As long as the little flip lid is closed, it stays hot for hours. 

• Dave, Vanessa Kitty and Jellybean0001 like this

#8 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

Travel mugs tend to be a very personal.  People have bought me a couple in the past that I either had to return or (unfortunately) get rid of/donate.  I wanted something insulated that holds a decent amount of coffee, had a screw on lid and a raised lip.  Having a handle was important as well.  This Cool Gear mug met three out of four of my criteria.  It's insulated, holds 20oz, and has a screw on lid and raised lip - when I drink out of it, coffee doesn't spill all over my face, neck and chest - it didn't, however, have a handle.  Then, when stumbling around The Container Store one day, I found the green handle you see pictured!  It does appear as though the handle is no longer being offered, though you might be able to locate one on Ebay.  It's now (for me) the perfect mug.  I found the mug at a discount store called T.J. Maxx, you might have heard of it.  I've never seen another that's 20oz.  The ones they still produce are 15oz.  Anyway, I love this thing so much.  As long as the little flip lid is closed, it stays hot for hours. 

I've seen what she uses currently and what she's used before,

so that gives me a good idea of the style she prefers. I personally

would prefer a handle on mine, but she seems to prefer a sleeker

design. It's interesting you mention TJ Maxx, I have one very close to

where I live but I've never gone inside- maybe I should check it out.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#9 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

I've seen what she uses currently and what she's used before,

so that gives me a good idea of the style she prefers. I personally

would prefer a handle on mine, but she seems to prefer a sleeker

design. It's interesting you mention TJ Maxx, I have one very close to

where I live but I've never gone inside- maybe I should check it out.

Definitely do.  Stuff like this is dirt cheap.

• Dave likes this

#10 Ludovic Babin

Ludovic Babin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationFrogs Land.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

Mine:

LuD__555012_509589352415952_1756871354_n

• Chris Szaroleta, Sam Quint, Dave and 2 others like this

#11 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

I can't recommend Hydro Flask enough.  Amazing thermos, great build quality.  The only negative thing I would say about it is the screw lid it ships with is annoying, much better off buying the wide mouth flip top. ( mine came with the screw lid, others might come with a different lid YMMV) 

#12 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

I can't recommend Hydro Flask enough.  Amazing thermos, great build quality.  The only negative thing I would say about it is the screw lid it ships with is annoying, much better off buying the wide mouth flip top. ( mine came with the screw lid, others might come with a different lid YMMV) 

What the hell?? I tossed mine in the trash this afternoon. When I finish my coffee in the morning, I wash it out and use it for water for the rest of the day, now It has taken on a nasty taste like burnt coffee, and it transfers to the water. It's disgusting, and no amount of scrubbing will take it out. It's sincerely the single worst mug I have owned to date. Could I have gotten some odd ball screwed up mug??

#13 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

While it is a bit low on my priority list, I will be getting a Zojirushi:

31HE7vzvxqL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I know people who absolutely swear by them, and I have witnessed first hand how it keeps hot beverages HOT for 8 hours or more. It also fits the locking lid requirement. You can check it out on Amazon here.

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta, Dave and 2 others like this

#14 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have a Kleen Kanteen thermos I use for hot drinks.  I used to work night shift at the hospital and it would keep my coffee hot until I could drink it about six hours in.

http://www.kleankant...riant=914771047

• Mel R., Chris Szaroleta and Dave like this

#15 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

I know people who absolutely swear by them, and I have witnessed first hand how it keeps hot beverages HOT for 8 hours or more. It also fits the locking lid requirement. You can check it out on Amazon here.

That insulation test ranked Zojirushi as the best insulator,

which definitely has my attention. I'll have to look into them.

I have a Kleen Kanteen thermos I use for hot drinks.  I used to work night shift at the hospital and it would keep my coffee hot until I could drink it about six hours in.

http://www.kleankant...riant=914771047

I had a Kleen Kanteen, I didn't like it for cold liquids

but I might see how it differs for hots. They don't seem to

have any coffee/tea locking lids, however.

EDIT* I stand corrected, apparently they do have a 

coffee/tea lid.

• Stupendous Walrus, Mel R. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#16 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

31HE7vzvxqL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Great. Thanks Mel. That`s on the list now.

• Mel R., Chris Szaroleta and Dave like this

#17 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

Great. Thanks Mel. That`s on the list now.

They really are pretty incredible. I was planning on getting one for myself, but the wife bought me a new travel mug this past Christmas, so I can't justify getting it for a while LOL

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Dave like this

#18 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

They really are pretty incredible. I was planning on getting one for myself, but the wife bought me a new travel mug this past Christmas, so I can't justify getting it for a while LOL

Ha!  You have to be WAY out in front of all spousal gifts!  

• Mel R. and Dave like this

#19 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

What the hell?? I tossed mine in the trash this afternoon. When I finish my coffee in the morning, I wash it out and use it for water for the rest of the day, now It has taken on a nasty taste like burnt coffee, and it transfers to the water. It's disgusting, and no amount of scrubbing will take it out. It's sincerely the single worst mug I have owned to date. Could I have gotten some odd ball screwed up mug??

Yikes, I only use mine for water, never put coffee in it.  Never had any leaks or taste issues. What size did you have?

#20 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Yikes, I only use mine for water, never put coffee in it.  Never had any leaks or taste issues. What size did you have?

It was an 18 ounce. It wasn't one of the screw down tops that you had to remove to drink from, it had a flip top that you popped up to drink from. No matter how tightly you pushed in the little flipper, it leaked all over the second it got knocked over. When I tossed it out, I noticed there were spots inside about the size of a pea that looked like rust. I'm a thorough cleaner, and took care of it, never leaving anything in it between daily washing and drying in the evenings. It was just a complete waste of 25$. 

• Stupendous Walrus and Dave like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users