#1 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

I recently bought a house with a wood burning stove and having no experience with one or dealing with wood in any way, although it had always interested me, I sought to educate myself as thoroughly as possible.

I came across Norwegian Wood by Lars Mytting by accident 

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/1419717987

At the time I did not know how popular the book was but after reading it over the past week I can see why.

http://www.independe...t-a6747431.html

My wife thought my love of the book was "cute but odd" but I really became sucked in by it.  I was originally driven by the desire to learn what I could about trees types, wood burning, seasoning, wood cutting and the tools for doing so.  Yet the book proved to be more than that, it is also a calming and enjoyable read about nature and our relationship with wood and wood burning.  I cant really explain it but for someone who works at a desk in an office in a big city, the book proved very effective at transporting my thinking to a much calmer and more grounded place.

It is not a step by step guide as to how to wield an axe, sharpen one, chopping technique, etc.  However, if you cut and burn wood or simply enjoy the topic or the  outdoors, I highly recommend it

#2 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

I loved the book also. Maybe not what people expect, but it really offers some great information in an unexpected way.

EDC Culture

‚Äčgearfacts.com

#3 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

I agree.  Despite it not being strictly a "how to manual", which frankly made this such an enjoyable read, there is absolutely  a lot of practical information information offered.  I learned a great deal about wood types for firewood and kindling, stacking firewood, the thinking behind various drying methods, equipment, wood cutting, how various trees grow, etc.

I just ordered two books that are listed as suggested reading in the back of the book, The Axe Book by Dudley Cook 

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/0911469168

and The Backyard Lumberjack by Frank Philbrick

https://www.amazon.c...yard lumberjack

Being born and raised in a big city, I have a lot of self-education to catch up on.

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Being born and raised in a big city, I have a lot of self-education to catch up on.

I all too often forget that not everyone was raised like I was.  I'm a farm boy from generations of Canadian woodworkers and loggers and was worked like a rented mule all my life. It would serve me well to remember that not everyone had the same path in life, and try and be a little less short and more helpful / understanding. On the other hand, my technical knowledge consists of being able to turn on a light, and use a computer for the most basic tasks. I'm no genius to say the least. 

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#5 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

I all too often forget that not everyone was raised like I was.  I'm a farm boy from generations of Canadian woodworkers and loggers and was worked like a rented mule all my life. It would serve me well to remember that not everyone had the same path in life, and try and be a little less short and more helpful / understanding. On the other hand, my technical knowledge consists of being able to turn on a light, and use a computer for the most basic tasks. I'm no genius to say the least. 

I have not found you to be as you described coldwater.  I have appreciated your past advice.

I wish I had the time and resources to hire someone with your background to teach me wood working skills in the field.  There is only so much you can read from books and Youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users