Paracord Lanyard - Tips, Advice, Help

1 reply to this topic

#1 Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

I’ve recently acquired my first ever EDC knife (CRKT Squid – why I chose that specific one is for a different thread) and I’d like to add a paracord lanyard. Which will also be my first time ever making one. Seeking out some advice, tips, etc.

I’ll be using this guy’s tuts and I want to add a bead as well. A knot like this is great for my needs.

I heard 550 is the most common but not all brands have the same quality. I was looking to get 10 feet of royal blue here. Good?

1.       Is 550 too big for like a Gerber Dime or a Classic SAK? I assume only a single thread would work but not two.

2.       I heard that some people “gut” their cord before tying. Is that simply to accommodate smaller holes or beads? Wouldn’t that weaken it?

3.       I have a pair of rounded shoe laces. Wouldn’t that be good enough to meet my needs?

4.       I assume the hole of the bead size matters. Will these work? Option 1, Option 2, Option 3, Option 4

Thanks and Happy 2018!

#2 Brian B

Brian B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

The best thing to do is just trial and error. As you mentioned, not all cord is the same quality. I'd recommend finding a local store that has it; you'll get a better feel.

Also, don't be scared of having too many items laying around. In a year you might find yourself needing or wanting something you already have. For me, weekly tinkering and trying new things with extra material is the best part of EDC.

Whether it's the most expensive paracord or an old shoelace.. if it fits YOUR needs, that's all that matters.

Happy 2018!
  • Franklion likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users