College Bound

18 replies to this topic

#1 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

I currently carry a Smith and Wesson Extreme OPS SWA25 as pictured in my profile but I want something of higher quality yet affordable. I am on my way to college next year and need something that I can also take there.

#2 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

What's affordable for you? $100? $200?  For me affordable is sub $70.  Lots of deals out there but some obvious choices to me include: Spyderco Delica, Endura, Dragonfly or Urban,  Ontario Rat 1 in D2, Ontario Rat 2, Sanrenmu Land 9103 or its variants, most any Ganzo; lots of good looking Kershaws around for the modest budget.....

#3 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

50 to 75 is affordable to me, ill take a look at those knives as soon as I can thank you. Personally, I do not like how Spydercos look at all and I need a mid to high-performance blade steel so I can be confident in the product. Also recommendations for a backup blade would be appreciated, i have my eye on a kubey EDC multitool, thoughts?

#4 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

Hmm. Some more details on your preferences would help. Like size, deployment, and locking mechanism. But a few off the top of my head in that price range would be any kizer vanguard or even one of their older models that are cheaper now like a kizer ki4416 that can be found at bladehq for $90. A d2 frn steel will cutjack is a popular choice right now. Moose already mentioned a d2 rat 1. Can find those in carbon fiber. A Zome spyderco Endura or delica is cool. If you want Kershaw, the knockout is a favorite of mine. Bestech offers budget d2 models. People seem to like those. I personally cant seem to get past that name though. Those are just some off the top of my head.

#5 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

I was thinking a 3-3.25" blade, plain edge so no serration, flipper or thumb stud, inner locking system, I'm not sure however what blade style is best such as tanto or drop point. My apologies if my explanations or details are not enough I am new to this.

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

David I would recommend the Ontario Rat 2. It’s a great starter knife with excellent quality and very inexpensive. The Buck Vantage line is great also and made in the USA and price points are very good.

Cheers
Ron

#7 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

It seems the consensus is the Rat II so I might go for that, as for a backup knife like I said the Kubey EDC Multitool seems interesting, does anybody have any thoughts on that? Also, thank you all for your help and I'll still check back for other recommendations of course.

• Ron likes this

#8 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

It seems the consensus is the Rat II so I might go for that, as for a backup knife like I said the Kubey EDC Multitool seems interesting, does anybody have any thoughts on that? Also, thank you all for your help and I'll still check back for other recommendations of course.

The thing is with your budget, what you want is the Ontario Rat in D2 and carbon fiber. and that is only available in the RAT1 size. D2 is by far superior than the aus-8a of the standard release. I personally rate D2 far above the likes of value steels such 8cr, aus-8, sandvik, and even vg-10 which I find only is slightly better than sandvik. D2 is closer to the modern supersteels in performance, especially how cheap and readily available it is in comparison. D2 is a steel I have had experience with and like very much. the carbon fiber laminate on the d2 RAT1 is a nice bonus. At $50-something, it is an excellent value

#9 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

Well luckily I have not made the purchase yet so I will take a look at them both thank you for your input I will be sure to take a look at that as well.

#10 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:56 PM

I have heard some whispers that the Rat 2 is going to be offered in D2 blade steel soon. If this is true it will be an amazing knife.

#11 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

Well great now I have to do research and wait, let the chips fall where they may. Any other strong suggestions for primary and secondary knives?

#12 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

I would recommend a Rat 2. The Rat 1 was larger in person for my liking and I bought the Rat 2, despite wanting D2. However, I never had AUS 8 steel before the Rat and had heard less than excellent remarks. For the money, the steel holds an excellent edge and can be brought back to shaving sharpness with a strop or steel easily.

For being on campus, the Rat 2 would be better suited, it's just smaller.

Good luck
  • Ron likes this

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#13 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

I agree with both Darren and Klaude; a D2 Rat 1 is the better steel, but like Klaude says, Aus8 and its ilk are fine for real world edc use.  And the Rat 2 is visually a much more discreet tool to use.  The Rat 1 is big capable folder and I love to take mine woodside, so if you're planning a mix of town and country usage go with the R1, but for urban/campus based edc I agree the R2 is the subtler option.

A Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (SAK) is a great affordable back-up.  Just pick the one with the configuration that appeals to you most.  I spend a lot of time on the moors or in forests so I have a SAK with a woodsaw. A more urban orientated SAK might be the Tinker or Deluxe Tinker.

Careful though.  Victorinox are highly addictive....

#14 METH Review Channel

METH Review Channel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hey man I am currently in college as well, and even more careful about the blades I carry because of my field of study. I just received the Rat 1 in AUS8 for Christmas and absolutely love it too death, but I won't go so far as to recommend it yet, as I have not had time to do a full review.

As for something to supplement your blade with or back it up, I would recommend the SOG Reactor multi tool. I did a review of it on my channel that you should check out. Another great option is the CRKT minimalist Bowie neck knife, which again has a full review on my channel as well as many others. What you carry as your main knife is really a preference thing, get out and play with some stuff before you buy them. If you need any help feel free to reach out. Wishing you the best man.

#15 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Ps,  don't forget to check out the Sanrenmu Land 9103 and its variants; bigger than a Rat2, smaller than a Rat1, buttery smooth and solid quality. For under $20 you'll be hard pressed to find a better knife. It feels like a knife that cost 3x as much.

As MRC said, it really is a styling preference issue as there are lots and  lots of great quality, capable knives within your budget.

#16 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Alright, when I have the opportunity I will take a final look at my options and buy up, thank you all very much for your assistance

• Ron likes this

#17 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Oh, another one that just came to mind is the Boker Plus Caracal. I think its a sexy design. The D2 and the bearings make it a good value

#18 DavidL

DavidL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

I actually really like how the caracal looks and its specs, also the kihon that just hit the shelves what about that? It seems pretty respectable as well.

#19 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

The Boker Plus Kihon is a production version of the popular Lucas Burnley custom by the same name. It is a cool knife for that. But I think you have a lot of choices at $150. I feel vg-10 is a bit lacking for a $150 knife. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users