#1 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

Does anyone who uses 18650 batteries have a particular recharging system they would recommend?
Thanks.

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

I use a Nitecore. Had a couple others but they quit on me. The Nitecore is on it's 3rd year with no issues.

• David Quevedo likes this

#3 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

I use a Nitecore. Had a couple others but they quit on me. The Nitecore is on it's 3rd year with no issues.

Thanks as always for the recommendation, coldwater.

#4 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

I"m a big fan of XTAR and Nitecore chargers.  My most recent purchases were four Nitecore SC4s, which are working beautifully. 

A9z0HuY.jpg

AhrS4Pi.jpg

The metering and heat sinking on these units, are excellent - especially useful when charging larger batteries at higher charge rates (although pictured, here, charging some Duracell NiMhs - generally charged at 500 mA.  You can set the channels individually, for up to 3  Amps x 2, or whatever combination, not to exceed 6 Amps, in total, variable from 300 mA to 3 Amps.

The charger will also charge LiFePO4s, if needed.

Metering includes, 4-segment status bars, elapsed time, charge rate, mAh placed on the battery, internal resistance.  The lights will flash quickly if the battery has been placed backwards.

I was able to get the SC4s on a group buy,  through Budget Light Forums, so I couldn't pass up the price.

My recommendation would be based on your charging needs. 

1. How many batteries do you need to be able to charge simultaneously?
  2. Will you be charging any other battery types (or sizes), or strictly the 18650s?
  3. How quickly do you need the batteries charged?
  4. Are you going to be traveling with the charger(s)?
  5. What's your budget?
  6. Do you want any advanced features (analyzing, elaborate metering, ability to charge multiple chemistries simultaneously, etc.)?

vY43EAB.jpg

There are a lot of choices, and in all price ranges lol.

I do a lot of charging, on a regular basis, and every model has its strengths and weaknesses.

#5 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

gxgrbbC.jpg

I used this pair of D4s for about three years, before (semi) retiring them, to replace them with the four SC4s (The D4s were preceded by a pair of i4 V2 - my very first Nitecore/lithium ion chargers, ever).

The D4s ended up being relegated to almost strictly AA NiMh charging, because they were fairly slow to charge (500 mA x 4 slots). Aside from that, I liked them quite a bit, and they were plenty reliable.

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:32 PM

I use the Thrunite 4 battery charger. It works great for any rechargeable batteries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users