2 replies to this topic

#1 Geard

Geard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:49 AM

I like the big watches.
But you know, they don't always look good on the wrist like on the picture.
Ok, if you have big hands, but what if not.
Maybe somebody knows how to choose right?

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

My personal opinion is, I buy what I like, and It would not be possible for me to care less about what anyone else thinks about how it looks. I like big watches as well, and if others don't like it, to hell with them! Seriously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't think there's a rule about sizing a watch. Just buy what makes you happy!

• Ron likes this

#3 Teeritz

Teeritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:30 AM

When trying on a watch, it's easy to say it looks okay when all you can see in the periphery of your vision is your elbow and your knuckles with a wristwatch sitting somewhere in between.

Some watch boutiques will have larger, full-length mirrors. The idea is to get an indication of how a watch will look on your wrist in relation to the rest of you, i.e- your height, build, shoulder-width, etc.

While it is definitely true that A) it's your money and you can spend it how you choose, and B) who cares what anybody else thinks, having sold watches at a boutique store for eleven years, I saw my fair share of guys come in who were, say, five feet, four inches tall and they would opt for a watch that was 44mm to 46mm in diameter.

Standing a few feet away from them, the watch would look out of place in proportion to the rest of them. This is perfectly fine if you want the watch to make a statement, but if you want the watch to 'blend in' with the rest of you, then I would always say go for a more understated size.

I've never been into the whole Big Watch trend that kicked in sometime around 2003 (although I do have a 44mm Hamilton Khaki that makes me look like an action figure, batteries sold separately!), and I've sometimes thought that if you went back in time to the 1950s or '60s, the minute you stepped out of the time machine, people would think that we were all nine feet tall in the future, based on how large our wristwatches have become in the 21st Century.

Back in the Golden Age of Watchmaking ('50s and '60s) watch sizes used to be 34mm to 38mm for dress watches, and 37mm to 42mm for sports watches, generally. Those diameters were in place for over four decades.

Nowadays, anything goes, but I have noticed a slight shift back towards more sedate sizes in recent years.

So basically, Geard, don't concern yourself too much with how it looks on your wrist. If you have decently-sized forearms and are of average height, you should be okay.

Obviously, without knowing your height and build, I'm gonna be guessing here, but I think you could go as high as 44mm with virtually any kind of watch. Personally, though, I find that larger sizes are better suited to sports watches rather than dress watches. 

I hope this info helps and best of luck!

• s.e.charles likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users