5 replies to this topic

#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

I'm not huge into forums, but I've noticed here that it seems a thread is very short lived. I don't think extra effort should be out forth to extend the life of a thread,but hardly ever does one seem to get more than 10 replies.

I could be wrong. Ive always lurked on most forums, but the few I've engaged with seemed to be more active.

Are we a newer forum?

This is the one forum I've been most active in, and I really like it because I love EDC and we don't have douche bags bashing people on their gear.

Anyways, just an observation, didn't know if anyone felt the same or maybe I'm off the mark?

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#2 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

I think it will ebb and flow. Often there's a core group of dedicated members who keep a forum active, and sometimes even then there will be spans of time with nothing interesting to mention.

On the whole, compared to things like politics or religion, EDC or its elements may not be the most... shall we say, impassioned set of topics. Another likely aspect of this EDC forum could be that the community may tend to be relatively fractured among the different elements (firearms, knives, first aid, backpacks, etc.). That being said, none of the subforums seem to be stagnating.

I'm sure the majority of folks who have been here before check back at least occasionally to see if there's anything interesting to talk about.

#3 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

You're right that EDC doesn't exactly bring out the passion in people. And for myself, I go through spurts where I'm here everyday, and others where I don't check at all.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#4 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

There's also the thing where once you've bought your new gear and talked about it, there isn't really much to say until you're in the market for new stuff.

Unless, of course, you're always in the market for new gear, then those are the people who keep EDC forums alive.  ^_^

#5 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

There's also the thing where once you've bought your new gear and talked about it, there isn't really much to say until you're in the market for new stuff.

Unless, of course, you're always in the market for new gear, then those are the people who keep EDC forums alive. ^_^

Also a valid point. I'm not necessarily always in the market to buy, but I'm always looking at gear and wanting information whether I'm going to buy or not

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

I think Mikey kind of hit it. I only need just so much stuff on a daily basis, and the list is relatively small. Even with redundancy, I don't need that many EDC items, and when I buy I usually try to buy top end so it'll last. I also do my research to make sure it's needed and useful to me so I'll be happy with it over the long run. My only sort of weakness is watches. I like wrist watches and have been know to grab one now and again in a moment of weakness. Outside of EDC, I buy a LOT of stuff, mostly tools and toys. I have a lot of interests and don't mind supporting them, they just don't transfer to this forum. 

• Ron likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users