5 replies to this topic

#1 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

I've seen the knife slips becoming popular, and I have to admit, I really like them. However, being a slip joint guy, I see the process of pulling the slip out of my pocket, to pull the knife out, and then use the nail nick to open it a bit redundant and time consuming. I can see having a belt pouch, where I can pull the knife out from there, but having the slip in my pocket makes no sense for a knife I plan to use throughout bthe day.

I realize the slips are more intended for protecting the nice traditional knives, which I find to make more sense in the gentleman folder (hate that expression) realm of things.

Your thoughts on slips?

EDC Culture

‚Äčgearfacts.com

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1050 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

I'd say depends on how much you want to care for your slipjoint's handles--but personally I wouldn't buy a knife I'd need to baby like that. I'd prefer something I could just slip into my coin pocket as that would be a perfect spot for it. I'm in your camp, that extra step of removing the knife from a slip is just seconds I don't want to waste.

• Moose and KlaudeMarks like this

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

I'd say depends on how much you want to care for your slipjoint's handles--but personally I wouldn't buy a knife I'd need to baby like that. I'd prefer something I could just slip into my coin pocket as that would be a perfect spot for it. I'm in your camp, that extra step of removing the knife from a slip is just seconds I don't want to waste.

Coin pocket?

#4 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1050 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Coin pocket?

The 5th pocket on jeans, the small one on the right side. Nice place to put small stuff into. :)

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#5 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

The 5th pocket on jeans, the small one on the right side. Nice place to put small stuff into. :)

AH! Did you know that it's a hold over from the original jeans design? It's real purpose was made to keep your pocket watch in.

• Moose and KlaudeMarks like this

#6 colin.p

colin.p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

Even though this is an old thread, I thought I'd weigh in. When I carry a traditional knife (ex Case Mini Trapper) I carry it in a slip. The reason being, that I carry my Case knives when I am wearing dress pants and the slip keeps the knife in my pocket.

I, however, make my own slips out of leather from a hobby shop. I have the smooth side on the inside, and the rough part on the outside, that way the slip doesn't "slip" out of my pocket (they aren't at all fancy looking, but I think they look ok). I made three of them and re-purposed one to hold my flashlight, as I don't use the pocket clip on my i3T. I carry a clipped folder in my right pocket and there is no room to clip the flashlight on to anything (my &^%$!!! phone hogs my entire left pocket).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users