20 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:51 AM

Has anyone found a knife that they like so much that if you had to have just one knife for the rest of your life, it would be that knife? 
I personally haven't but I'm just curious if anyone else has.

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

Not sure that's possible.

• Jonny, Moose and Ron like this

#3 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

I wonder this too. I can't decide, but mainly because I can really like a knife, lusting over it for awhile, but when I get it, it's not long until I'm unimpressed.

I get disappointed knowing I can look at knives for hours, stuck inside my head wishing I could buy it, just to know that if I did buy it, I'd carry it awhile and feel kinda "meh" about it.
  • Jonny, Moose and Paul Tobeck like this

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#4 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

I've wanted other knives... but I haven't bought a knife since my CRK Mnandi.  That was over 2 years ago. I think the only knife that I seriously considered buying was the small shamwari by gareth bull. I haven't bought it because of how hard it is to buy, truth be told. So my guess is until I lose it (hopefully I dont), the mnandi will be in my pocket. 

• Jonny likes this

#5 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

I tend to use my tools until they wear out or get loss. Usually with knives,they find a way to get loss. I love benchmade and other nice knives but my heartbreak is a lot less when it's not the cost of my mortgage that fell out somewhere. My current favorite (been with me for a couple years) is the Kershaw Blur in blue. Holds an edge, holds up to abuse and to me is a fine looking knife. I like the assisted opening and the price. It's tacky enough to stay in my hand when it's wet and the blue color is easy to spot in the woods after it gets dropped.This will be my every day carry until (and when) I loss it. Then I'd buy another one in a flash to replace it. I'm very happy with this knife.It just meets my needs.

• Jonny and Moose like this

#6 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

img38c.jpg

• Andrew Cohen, Jonny and KlaudeMarks like this

#7 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

I tend to use my tools until they wear out or get loss. Usually with knives,they find a way to get loss. I love benchmade and other nice knives but my heartbreak is a lot less when it's not the cost of my mortgage that fell out somewhere. My current favorite (been with me for a couple years) is the Kershaw Blur in blue. Holds an edge, holds up to abuse and to me is a fine looking knife. I like the assisted opening and the price. It's tacky enough to stay in my hand when it's wet and the blue color is easy to spot in the woods after it gets dropped.This will be my every day carry until (and when) I loss it. Then I'd buy another one in a flash to replace it. I'm very happy with this knife.It just meets my needs.

I feel the same really, as the most expensive knife I have is the GEC I just got for $75, and after Christmas I plan to make that my only blade. But for now I alternate between a Victorinox pioneer, Case sodbuster, and a Rat 2...the rat 2 seeing the most pocket time. I tend to lose stuff or break it, so as much as I lust over the expensive stuff, I won't buy it.

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#8 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

Scott, that CRK Mnandi isa beautiful knife if that is what I saw in Google, the small shamwari by gareth bull is a nice looking knife too.

WallyGator, I have a Kershaw Half Ton Liner in Red that I got when I was working setup at an outdoors store cause the thick blade could take some abuse from the popping heavy staples off boxes, it staying in my maxpedition bag most of the time as a backup knife just because I like that my Gerber Scout has a half serrated blade. Both are great knives but I'm not sure I would say a last knife choice on either of them though :)

KlaudeMarks, which GEC do you have?

I do like Victorinox, I have a small Rambler that I keep on my keychain just in case.
I've never really carried a Case, I have one I got when a granddad passed but it just stays on a mantle.

That Rat 2 looks like a nice simple knife.

I'm liking what I'm reading so far.

#9 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

GEC calf pen in micarta

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

#10 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Expand it to fixed and folder, there's my choices
Benchmade Barrage and Nimravus

Attached Files

26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#11 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

In my ideal world it'd have to be custom made to my specs (after trialing lots of prototypes before the final iteration :ph34r: ;)).  Then again, in the ideal world I'd have more then one knife.

For edc In the real world, living in the UK it makes sense that it would be a slipjoint :rolleyes:

So...

Of the knives I own, it's a tough choice!  My heart says my Elmax Spyderco Urban  (a great compact pocket laser) as it's so handy yet comfortable to carry; but my head says my Wenger ST17 (a Wenger version of the Victorinox Huntsman) SAk because it offers far more utility in the one knife.

Of the production knives I don't own; a Spyderco Ti UKPK or a Victorinox Swisschamp replace the Urban and the ST17 and I'd still be left with the same conundrum :(

#12 Syafiq

Syafiq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:17 AM

if a multitool is considered as a knife then my cadet alox would be it.

otherwise it'll be my spyderco ukpk.

#13 Paul Tobeck

Paul Tobeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

I'm pretty much a budget knife guy, I use 'em and abuse 'em so I cringe at the idea of spending more than $50-$60 tops. No way in hell I'd actually take a Benchmade or ZT out in the real world.

Currently alternating between a Kershaw Select Fire for work, and a blackwash Kershaw Cryo for weekend carry. 

Neither one really fits the "use for the rest of your life" category for me.

Have my eye on a few other knives (CRKT Directive, Ontario Rat 1, Victorinox Outrider) but doubt any of those would be "The One". It's really tough to find anything that's "just right". There's always minor differences in capabilities, quirks, irritations with all of them. 

#14 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

I'm pretty much a budget knife guy, I use 'em and abuse 'em so I cringe at the idea of spending more than $50-$60 tops. No way in hell I'd actually take a Benchmade or ZT out in the real world.

Currently alternating between a Kershaw Select Fire for work, and a blackwash Kershaw Cryo for weekend carry. 

Have my eye on a few other knives (CRKT Directive, Ontario Rat 1, Victorinox Outrider) but doubt any of those would be "The One". It's really tough to find anything that's "just right". There's always minor differences in capabilities, quirks, irritations with all of them. 

I wouldn't say the Rat 1 is 'The One' (it's just not pretty enough); but I did find it such a good, affordable 'all round' camp duty folder, that I bought another to throw in the bugout bag.   Simple, reliable and comfortable.   A great locker for people on a budget imho.

• Jonny likes this

#15 Mike P

Mike P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

My Benchmade Griptilian (reverse tanto, partially serrated, thumb hole) fits this category for me. Love it, and use it so much that I bought a second one for backup, or to use if the first needs re-sharpened and I don't have the time to do it immediately. For a fixed blade, non-edc, I'd have to vote for my Ka-bar USMC model!
  • Jonny likes this

#16 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Knives are tools, a hundred dollar knife would gather dust because I wouldn’t want to damage it. I’m also not a fan of titanium (sacrilege) super fancy steels (high carbon or sandvik for stainless please) or anything that looks like it doesn’t fit the hand well, 95% (of everything sold by most industrial knife makers). My EDC are cheap, proven designs. I’m grumpy about the paraframe and my Leatherman Wave because they are less than a hundred years old. I want to be able to not see read if some one walks off with it or I drop it and have to regrind the damn thing.

#17 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

One thing I have learned over 3 generations of woodworkers is, never buy a cheap tool. Cheap tools make work harder produce poor quality results, and are more dangerous. Razor sharp blades and knives, wether it be knife, plane or shaper iron, will consistently give top performance and last longer that a cheap counterpart.  I would rather pay $150 for a good Benchmade knife of excellent construction and steel, than pay $40 for a lesser quality blade that gives mediocre performance, and be dissatisfied with it over the course of ownership. I find that I take greater care of a quality tool than I do a cheap one, and enjoy using it much more. To each their own, but I will always refer to quality over affordability. 

• Darren Tong, Ron, KlaudeMarks and 2 others like this

#18 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Coldwater I totally agree with you. I really look after by Bucks and Benchmades and abuse my Rats and Tenacious. My dad was a carpenter by trade from Holland..everything done by hand. All the planer blades, chisels, and lathe blades were all high quality tools. I learned to hand sharpen all of them with spit and various whetstones as a kid.
  • Darren Tong likes this

#19 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

I completely understand that point of view. I spend for solid tools. I don’t believe 1055 carbon steel is inferior to what ever Molybendum/Vanadium Steel makes a folder cost north of $300. I have kitchen knives with a high molybdenum/vanadium steels. They are nice knives, keep a wicked edge, and are easy to maintain. Do they stay sharper longer than carbon steel knives? A little, over the lifetime of the knives are they worth more than a comparable sandvick knife? I currently own both, I’m not convinced the fancy steels live up to the hype.

My laminated steel Mora blades take a better edge that lasts longer than any of my kitchen knives. My Sandvick stainless Mora knife, works harder and longer than any stainless knife I own. Expensive doesn’t always equal quality, cheap doesn’t always equal garbage. Find quality, buy the best you can afford, but don’t spend just to spend. The best plane I own, in terms of performance, I paid less than $20 to buy. It’s a 1901 Stanley #5. I paid $19 for a Diston saw made in the 1880s that still goes like a train.

Buy quality, but don’t assume expensive equals quality.
  • Sascha Erni likes this

#20 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

Mora FTW! But also, I see both sides. A quality tool, like Coldwater said, tends to receive better care and ensue more enjoyment. Although, I lose stuff and break stuff, so cheap is okay too, for a beater or something

EDC Culture

gearfacts.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users