49 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

This is higher dollar but for bug out type situations I like how light it is and how it can be used as a demolition tool as well. I haven't made the plunge as it's a bit expensive for a hatchet that will most likely just be used as an axe/hammer at the camp sight

Gerber down range tomahawk

Attached Files

#42 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Attached File  IMG_0024.JPG   122.62KB   0 downloads

This is what I currently have in my bug out bag. All the same ability as the gerber but not as good of hammer or as much leverage for prying. I have used it several times camping and it works great for making kindling and pounding tent stakes. The handle is incredibly uncomfortable so I recently made this paracord wrapped handle. Now it won't fit in its sheath but that's okay as the sheath was JUNK; pretty disappointed in ka-bar there. Since joining this sight I have given serious thought to getting into leather making and making a sheath for it.

#43 chorpie

chorpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

If you're looking for portable, a $20 Cold Steel tomahawk will come with an 18" handle and be much more comfortable for chopping than a paracord wrapped metal handle will be. That, and you can slide the head off the handle (or fashion a new handle if yours breaks) if you need a smaller sized tool for fine work.

#44 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

Don't have the money for a GB, but I just bought a Hudson Bay 18' Handle and also the Boys axe with 28" ( I think thats the size) from council tool. One is for my dad, probably the hudson bay, fits his needs more. I've read a ton on those and it appears to be a good value, no money for the velvicut, lol. However, for a bugout bag, if I wasn't packing something like the Hudson bay, a good hatchet would be nice. I picked up an antique Plumb Boyscout hatchet and made a new handle out of it and I love it, holds an edge nicely. I put a little bit thicker and longer handle on it, also made a straight handle.

#45 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

My Plumb Boyscout with the handle I madeAttached File  IMG_20170419_123744936.jpg   138.41KB   0 downloads

#46 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Check out the Huskvarna axes.

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#47 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

I am a complete novice when it comes to axes but having bought a home in a wooded area with two wood burning stoves I am looking to educate myself.  I foresee myself primarily using an axe to cut firewood. 

I found this You Tube video,

which offers some very simple tips, I found useful for someone completely new to handling an axe such as myself.

Its expensive but I have been eyeing the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe for a while now, I am thinking of just going ahead an buying it already.  From all that I have read, with proper care, it will pay for itself in years of use.

#48 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

I am a complete novice when it comes to axes but having bought a home in a wooded area with two wood burning stoves I am looking to educate myself.  I foresee myself primarily using an axe to cut firewood. 

I found this You Tube video,

which offers some very simple tips, I found useful for someone completely new to handling an axe such as myself.

Its expensive but I have been eyeing the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe for a while now, I am thinking of just going ahead an buying it already.  From all that I have read, with proper care, it will pay for itself in years of use.

If I may make a suggestion, you can save a lot of money by picking up one of the outstanding Husqvarna axes at a fraction of the price. It's made by the same people in the same forge, but not taken to the high level of finish. A couple of hours on a a puck and a bottle of oil will result in a razor sharp axe anyone would be proud to own. I own a few old Collinsville axes that were properly forged and tempered, and they are as god as it gets as a cutting tool, but they have taken a back seat to my Husq's.

#49 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

I am always welcoming of a suggestion coldwater, that’s why I post here. I will certainly look into the Husqvarna.
Although I am wary of the the idea of sharpening on a puck for a material amount of time. I have zero experience doing that and just got comfortable sharpening knives. Of course it is something I am going to have to learn eventually.
Thanks for the advice.

#50 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

As I continue to educate myself on axes, as usual I find YouTube to be a great resource.

I enjoy the Wranglerstar site for a variety of things and am finding the axe sharpening videos very educational

https://www.youtube....=axe sharpening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users